How to kill PS2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to kill PS2?

First you get a some nice mod chip, I got a Modbo 760 one. Then you take your poor PS2 and disassembly it. If you did not want to write it off right away, then you take a look into this guide - in fact it was very simple, however from the second time on - http://www.rpghry.cz/dds/nastenka.htm#ps2
    Now using the included both sided sticker attach the Modbo chip on the bottom side of PS2 PCB that way, so it's little contact match perfectly against where they connect the pins GND, M, N, O, P, R, V, U, T, Q - simply this way:

And now use your soldering iron to make a connection there, as shown. I used my trusty old transformer soldering iron, as I need to heat-up the PCB a lot to make these contacts possible:

It is not easy, but if you have a small slim soldering point, lot's of resin and just the good amount of tin on your soldering iron tip - it will work. Then check the connections with DMM, if they did not just look as conductive, but if they really are. Pin W you have to connect by wire and differently a bit. In the guide for Modbo 760 chip there: http://www.picsystems.net/diagrams_p...760_v12_13.jpg (backup link here: http://img118.*************/my.php?i...60v1213of0.jpg ) is mitake. You cannot get the pin W connected bellow the small white Modbo PCB board, so you have to use different connection that suggested. (in theory you can, but then the height of the soldering and wire will prevent connecting of the other pins) This way:

Then only a "fun moments" awaits you with soldering connections like the B, G H and I connections:

To show how small they are, I add a ruler there. In Centimeters, the small ares are millimeters...

Good luck!
    Another mistake in the guide is, that instead of pin S it shown pin SX (!) - so just connect the pin S on Modbo 760 (new revision?) to the SX connection in the picture shown. Things work that way. Another problem is, that where to connect the pin Z is completely unknown to me ATM. Luckily this one is optional, so, it is not need to be connected at all. You just missing the features called "AR Max" and "Gameshark"... I have no idea what they even mean, so...

So then, if everything works as it should, you get only more fun now
    Details, as the PS2 sold for Region 2 (Europe) can now play Region 1 DVD's such as only in USA sold Redux edition of Apocalypse Now:

...is perhaps not even worth mentioning. I tested the classis R2 (Europe), R1 (USA) and R4 (Australia) DVD's and everything worked w/o a problem.

At the start, there is a slight change in the PS2 logo:

And when powering PS2 off, there is this:

And now the most important - just downloaded games (probably best using P2P, I used eMule to download Ironman, EUFA Euro 2008 and so on for test...) for PS2 as normal ISO images and burn them on PC (using for example Nero) on DVD's and they just play beautifully!
    Sony must be definitively happy
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Re: How to kill PS2?

Is that a mod chip or is that PS2 on life support ?

I used to fix PS2s a few years back (the original big ones not the slime lines) got broken ones of craigslist for about 20 bucks and resold them.

I installed a few modchips on them but only for personal use there was someone busted big time a few cities away from me so I didn't get into it .

On a related note funny story one of the (Reconditioned Xbox's) I got from gamestop around 05 or so had a modchip soldered right under the mobo.

And what a suprise it EEPROM was banned from live I simply installed another pin header based modchip (the one in the console was wire based at least 24 of them) and I unlocked the HDD. Installed a new EEPROM and relocked the HDD bam back on live .

So the guy who installed the chip had enough brains to remove the warranty sticker and reapply it but he was clueless how to get unbanned from live?
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-03-2008, 06:10 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

i use wirewrap wire to hook up mod chips/boards.
      much easier to work with.an isotip iron with a 1/64 tip helps too.

Comment

I'm not into game consoles at all, so I have to ask, what's the point of this? What will performing this mod actually make the unit do (or not do)?
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Probably what 99% of people who install modchips planned to do with them in the first place.

Play copied games or play original games from other regions.

Original games have a special lead in track that can't be copied by burners. I believe that they are intentional bad sectors that regular burners correct when copying.

Therefore when the laser doesn't read this track it won't load the game the modchip works by either injecting the special lead in signal from the laser(simulating the lead in track even though the laser isn't reading it) or by manipulating the signals of the ICs responsible (basically saying that the leadin track has been read without simulating the output from the laser) to achieve the same action.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-05-2008, 12:24 AM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I tried killing mine too.

Pics @ http://www.sourapple.fi/photos/?album=67

The unit has been working fine for over 1.5 years after the operation.

Comment

This remembers me when i modded a few Xboxes for a few friends. It was really funny at the time. But it was very impressing how much more feature the little box have had with the alternative software. Especially the multimedia player was absolutely impressive.
              Sure playing games from HDD was a nice feature too.

Comment

Just drop it. I doubt the optical drive will survive.

Comment

Mine still works, that once every two years I turn it on.
                  Nicely done installation.
                  I use enameled transformer wire also for nested hookups like that.
                  Jim

Comment

I used wire that was as thin as tranformer wire but it had insulation on it.

I know that the transformer wire doesn't conduct but I just wouldn't feel safe with laquer instead of traditional insulation.

Comment

Krankshaft - it is a mod chip. The PS2 work perfectly w/o it, so, not need for life And looks like you got experience with the moding, so, share with us some

kc8adu - wirewrap wire, hmmm, you mean like this, for example?
                      http://www.matronics.com/SonyVPL-VW1...d-C-Boards.JPG
                      http://www.matronics.com/SonyVPL-VW1...est-Points.JPG
                      Looks small and good. I did not get so nice small wires... where to get them? Just in case I will do job like that again

Topcat -
                      I'm not into game consoles at all, so I have to ask, what's the point of this? What will performing this mod actually make the unit do (or not do)?
                      Me neither (it is not even mine PS2), but the list of features are there:
                      http://www.modchip-wizard.com/produc...o4-modchip.htm
                      ...and it is a kinda long one. What I test was that before the mod, the PS2 did not like to play original R1 (USA) or R4 (Australia) DVDs, only R2 (Europe). After the mod - not a problem anymore. Another important thing is, that you can use non-original media now, so that copy of Grant Tourisimo 4 game I got with this PS2 to test it, you can copy on new DVD and enjoy. Using originals lead to scratches and unreadable originals. The game in question was already kinda unreliable to start...
                      Sony of course prevent you to do it, because then you can just pirate games... But it also force ppl to use originals, witch is very risky bussiness. You perhaps know - kids usually did not handle stuff with enough respect, so... originals become useless and then YOU are there to figure that out. Good luck.
                      I would like to test this particular feature: "Import Games Fix (All PSX import games are played at FULL SCREEN and FULL COLOR!)", but I did not get to it.

killjoy - but hey, you actually did a good job. Nice wires, man. And you got it harder that me - the older Modbo revision require you to solder way more wires, so... congratulations on job well done!
                      Killing next time...
                      Speaking about killing - PS2 is a tough suxxka to kill, look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9z19BPSfbc

gonzo0815 - hmmm, that remind me that my friend with X-box is speaking something about that... so I might end up messing with his thing too. Any links that prepare me for the job?

gdement - check out the video above. Just droping it did not harm it in any way...

arneson - thanks. Well, I was considering just a wire from transformer, but then I was not sure about the just painted isulation of the wire, so I decided to use these smallest ones I got in my box of wires...
                      I probably need smaller ones. Now, where to get 'em?
                      "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                      "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

If you actually want to kill your ps2, they tested the three big console's durability on xplay. They tested the gamecube, xbox, and ps2. The first test was 1 smack from a sledge hammer, the ps2 died at this, the xbox was fine and so was the gamecube. The next was they dropped it off of a forklift's forks fully up in the air, this time the xbox died, and the gamecube was fine.

Comment

Well I have already got my PS1 loaded with a GoldFinger module but I wonder if one of my PS2's are worthy of a chip now that you mention it?

The best way I found to kill a PS2 was either break off the ribbon cable connector for the front panel (the controller and memory card ports) as it takes quite a bit of work to reinstall the cable or do the same to the ribbon cable connector under the optical drive.
                          Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Running it on a genarator did a good job of killing mine
                            My Computer.
                            AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                            Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                            Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                            500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                            1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                            2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

That is actually quite strange. Do the generator generate somewhat "different" electricity that is standard? Do other hardware die? Did you checked using scope what is actually getting out of this thing?

Comment

You sure the generator didn't go overvoltage and overload the supply?

Probably not a nice sine wave coming out of that generator either. Wouldn't know without a scope though.

I used my PS2 (the original not the slimeline) on my RVs generator many times and no ill effects. Then again the generator wasn't a Harbor Freight special either .

I used to fix PS2s still got 4 PSUs Versions 1-8 doing nothing in my parts drawer.
                                Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I think it had more to do power fluxuations like when the genarator was running out of gas and so fourth.
                                  My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Originally posted by trodas
                                    That is actually quite strange. Do the generator generate somewhat "different" electricity that is standard? Do other hardware die? Did you checked using scope what is actually getting out of this thing?
                                    i didnt have such things and it never ocured to me at the time this was years ago.
                                    My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Working...
                                    X