Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony BluRay Player - Locks up

Model: BDP-S3100

Will attempt to boot but gets stuck on logo screen. Sometimes it completes the cycle and I can power it on but it instantly freezes up again.

I've tried holding down the stop button while booting as I read it resets the resolution and 3/5 times it'll load doing it that way but again will freeze while in the home screen. Not sure if it's just a coincidence that holding stop even helps or just repeated attempts to get it going.

Would this be a firmware or hardware issue?

It's a great wifi enabled smart BluRay player and I'd like to get it going again. It's just a little over a year old

Re: Sony BluRay Player - Locks up

Spoke to a Sony tech and they had me try resetting the player by holding play and power buttons for 10 seconds.

That got it to turn off and attempt a boot but it still hangs. They wanted $80 for a replacement! Thing was $100 brand new.

Anyone know if this issue sounds like firmware and it's pretty much "bricked"?

Comment

I'd crack it open and look for bad caps.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        I'd crack it open and look for bad caps.
        I checked and the power board caps looked fine, don't have an esr meter. Main board had two smd aluminum electrolytic caps. Would those bulge if bad?

Comment

Those caps would bulge from the bottom if they were bad.

Have you checked any voltages?
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I would crack it open and reflow the power input section.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              Those caps would bulge from the bottom if they were bad.

Have you checked any voltages?
              I checked voltages from psu to main board and didn't see any fluctuations. Only two voltages 5v and 12v.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                I would crack it open and reflow the power input section.
                Power input section? Am I looking for a specific chip? I'll try to post pics when I'm home

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
                  Power input section? Am I looking for a specific chip? I'll try to post pics when I'm home
                  First, I would try the power input connector.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

First, I would try the power input connector.
                    Reflow that? It's only 4 terminals

Comment

Here are some pics. It appears there's always two 12v present with unit on or off and they're both present and don't waver.

I measured voltage at the + side of the two smd aluminum caps one is 5v and the other 12v, they might be for the bluray drive though considering their location.

Not sure where to proceed from here.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I would also reflow the 6 diodes.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

I would also reflow the 6 diodes.
                          On the psu?

Comment

So a friend has a similar unit without wifi but the power boards are identical, he let me swap them to see if there's any change and still giving the same symptom. That rules out any psu fault.

Any ideas what to try on the main board?

Comment

sounds like a firmware issue to me,have you tried looking for any updates via usb from sony?
                              fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                              please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                              X