Replacing white goop in repaired 2005FPW power boardcap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing white goop in repaired 2005FPW power boardcap

I am about to replace all caps in the power board and a couple in the logic side.
    The power board has many caps with white glue, I assume to prevent humming noise. I would like to put something back once the caps are replaced. Any suggestions on what to use?

Re: Replacing white goop in repaired 2005FPW power boardcap

You don't need to replace the glue. It's just there to make assembly easier in the factory. It has no electrical function whatsoever.
    (Except to potentially kill your TV after the warranty is up by going conductive over time)
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

While I agree with you on most of the parts being held by goop, there are four in particular that the glue holds blocks of rubber on top, the transformer, the two big radiators and a group of five big capacitors. Those blocks will be in tight contact with the metal housing, and seems to me that the reason to be is to dampen vibrations.

I know I could forget about it, but I do not want to end with some continuous humming noise.

Edit: my main concern is the block of five capacitors.
      Last edited by Icycold; 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM. Reason: comment

Comment

Those rubber pads won't be to stop the capacitors from making noise, but rather to stop vibrations\shocks from outside causing the heavier parts to move and crack their solder joints.

In which case, it would be a good idea to put the rubber pad on the new capacitors if you can.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
        X