Making your own VGA cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making your own VGA cable

Fixed up an Optiquest Q9B-2 by replacing three CapXon capacitors (470uF/25V).

I then realize I can't hook up a video signal. The previous owner cut off the internal VGA cable.

Any thoughts on jury-rigging a VGA cable to get this monitor to full working functionality?

Thanks for reading!

Re: Making your own VGA cable

Either get a vga-vga cable and cut off one end or scavenge one off an old CRT.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

So if I find a monitor with the same type of non-D-Sub-connector VGA cable on the monitor end, will it play nice with this Optiquest I'm trying to fix up? Thanks again for reading!

Comment

You said he cut it off.
        If so then solder the new cable where the old one was connected.
        If it has some other connector you will have to look up the pinouts and figure it out.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

It's been said many times, but often requires repeating. We do not have a massive library of schematics, parts lists, assembly drawings, and service manuals of every monitor. A simple picture will give us much more information than having to drag it out sentence by sentence.

To answer your question, if the internal end of the original cable terminated in any kind of push-on connector, the odds are a cable from another monitor will not match it.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I got a service manual from eservice.info and hope there's something that will help me make my own cable.

Here's a pic of the video board. I'll be looking for a schematic for this board, too.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lkvee View Post
              I got a service manual from eservice.info and hope there's something that will help me make my own cable.

Here's a pic of the video board. I'll be looking for a schematic for this board, too.
              Yeah, that jerk really shafted you when he cut the cable.

If you fail to find a schematic, look for a datasheet for the Novatek NT68521AEFG chip. I found one for the NT68520AE, it shows the pinout, so you will be able to identify the R G B and sync lines on the cable as well as the ground lines.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hi- I have had a similar problem myself- I have written you a rigmarole
                which may help and have posted as an attachment so it doesnt take up
                pages. I hope it makes sense! If your schematic differs I will post a screen shot of the relevant page from mine.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by selldoor; 02-22-2012, 07:42 AM.
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Connectors have a pin order. If you're lucky and the designers had some sense they will have made 1-15 on the board connector 1-15 on the VGA cable.
                  sig files are for morons

Comment

Interesting development. In going through a batch of monitors someone else gave me, I found another Q9B-2. This one DOES have a video cable. I'm thinking I can manually map the pins using a multimeter's continuity feature. I'd have to map the scavenged cable, too, though. I'm thinking this could be a more appropriate challenge given my skill set with reading a schematic (~0).

Comment

Congrats!
                      Do future readers a favor and document the pin-out here when you figure it out.
                      Just FYI: It's normal with VGA for a few pins to be unused -and- all the ground pins will seem connected together.
                      Don't let those things confuse you.
                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Good idea! I'll scan when I can!

Comment

Working...
                        X