Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD1760 out again

Hello all,
    I had repaired my Gateway FPD1760 monitor back in Oct 2010. At that time it had the infamous '2 seconds then black' failure and I was able to repair it by replacing many caps on the PS board. Im currently using an old CRT monitor that I picked up for free when this one went out last year and it works fine so I know the computer is OK. My original repair from last year is shown at this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11790

Now it has a new problem in that it turns on and stays on but the entire screen is pretty much 'white'. You can very faintly see what should be on the screen but its not getting any real color. Everything is also distorted like a big vertical 'stripe'. Im not sure you can see much from this pic:

Im not sure where to start. On the PS board there is a VERY large cap that I did not replace - 68uF, 450V. Also there is a smaller circuit board (logic board?) that I did not replace any caps on last time. Could it be that any of those caps are bad? None of the caps that I did not replace look like they have mechanically failed (no leakage, puffiness, etc) when I examined them with an magnifying eye loupe.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Paul

Re: Gateway FPD1760 out again

Does the power button function normally? If it does, open the monitor up and see if reseating the cable that runs from the signal card to the LCD panel fixes the problem.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
      Does the power button function normally? If it does, open the monitor up and see if reseating the cable that runs from the signal card to the LCD panel fixes the problem.

PlainBill
      Power button functions normally. Its just a white screen with vertical lines. You can very vaguely make out the desktop icons in the white/lines. Ive had the unit opened and closed with cables connected and disconnected. Im assuming its not a problem on the main PS board where I replaced caps last year but on the smaller logic board. Ive gone over the board with a magnifying eye loupe looking for any components/solder joints that dont look right but everything looks OK.

What about the electrolytic caps on that board?

Comment

Originally posted by TWR2003 View Post
        Power button functions normally. Its just a white screen with vertical lines. You can very vaguely make out the desktop icons in the white/lines. Ive had the unit opened and closed with cables connected and disconnected. Im assuming its not a problem on the main PS board where I replaced caps last year but on the smaller logic board. Ive gone over the board with a magnifying eye loupe looking for any components/solder joints that dont look right but everything looks OK.

What about the electrolytic caps on that board?
        Please post a photo of the logic board. Post the photo like you did in your original thread using "manage attachments". At this point, I suggest you try checking the voltage regulator(s) on the logic board for proper input/output voltage.

Comment

Did you re-seat the cable between the logic board and the LCD panel as PlainBill suggested?

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
            Please post a photo of the logic board. Post the photo like you did in your original thread using "manage attachments". At this point, I suggest you try checking the voltage regulator(s) on the logic board for proper input/output voltage.
            I guess Im a bit confused now and I hope I used the correct name for the small PCB that sits next to the large PS board. I assumed that was the logic board but it may not be. The monitor has 3 boards total: the PS board, a smaller board (show in the attachment), and a long board that is directly attached to the LCD. The PS board and the smaller board are both inside the metal housing that mount to the back of the plastic enclosure. The smaller board has the connector on it that extendes outside the enclosure that you plug in the cable that goes to the computer (blue connector in the pic). I did not replace any caps on this smaller board when I did repair the PS board last year. The 3 electrolytic caps on this board are all 'sam young KMG', 100uF 16V (C164, C601), 220uF 16V (C606). To the left of the 3 caps in the pic is the connector that a small internal cable from the PS board goes to.

All internal cables have been disconnected and re-connected.

Thanks
            Paul
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TWR2003; 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I guess Im a bit confused now and I hope I used the correct name for the small PCB that sits next to the large PS board. I assumed that was the logic board but it may not be. The monitor has 3 boards total: the PS board, a smaller board (show in the attachment), and a long board that is directly attached to the LCD. The PS board and the smaller board are both inside the metal housing that mount to the back of the plastic enclosure. The smaller board has the connector on it that extendes outside the enclosure that you plug in the cable that goes to the computer (blue connector in the pic). I did not replace any caps on this smaller board when I did repair the PS board last year. The 3 electrolytic caps on this board are all 'sam young KMG', 100uF 16V (C164, C601), 220uF 16V (C606). To the left of the 3 caps in the pic is the connector that a small internal cable from the PS board goes to.

All internal cables have been disconnected and re-connected.

Thanks
              Paul
              Well, I guess it depends on which way the wind is blowing . Some will call the board you listed the logic board. Others call it the main board. And others call it the video board. That's why photos are important. So, regardless of what you call the board, everyone has a photo to reference and there's no mistake about what you're talking about.

There are two what I think are voltage regulators. I circled them on your photo. What are their part numbers?
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello and thank you for the reply. Sorry so long getting back but I am in E. MA and have been without power since our 'Halloween snowstorm' on Saturday evening.

The upper (larger) device is marked:
                KIA
                78D33F

The lower (smaller) device is marked:
                LD18
                Y513

Thanks,
                Paul

Comment

Hello and thank you for the reply. Sorry so long getting back but I am in E. MA and have been without power since our 'Halloween snowstorm' on Saturday evening.

The upper (larger) device is marked:
                  KIA
                  78D33F

The lower (smaller) device is marked:
                  LD18
                  Y513

Thanks,
                  Paul
                  The 78D33F is a 3.3V regulator and the LD18 is a 1.8V regulator. With your boards connected back together and monitor powered on, measure the voltage at each leg. Use a mounting screw for your ground. Report your findings.

Comment

Ive decided that further effort to save this monitor is not worth it at this point. I dont feel comfortable testing for voltages with the unit opened up. I figure for the small cost of of the caps I installed in Oct 2010 I got another year out of it and thats fine. Im looking to pick up an el-cheapo 19" Acer at Walmart for about $100.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

T

Comment

Hello,

Did you get rid of the circuit boards,pwr. switch,all cables for this monitor? Please pm me if your interested in selling either or both boards.

Happy Holidays,
                      lcdman

Comment

Working...
                      X