7v fan (??) in an xbox360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7v fan (??) in an xbox360

Seeing this thread I am wondering how can I get 7v from an xBox360 to get the fans running all the time, but avoiding the noise. I already modded an xBox making a hole on the top of the case and installing a 60mm fan (& grill) on top of the GPU secondary heatsink (the piece just in front of the CPU heatsink), running at 12v, pulling air (hot air, in fact). I have another one that I want to give a less heated life but I don't want to make a hole on it's top, and I don't want to spend on an aftermarket fan set (like 25~30, but that on top of the 360's price, is way too much). I know where to get 12 & 5v from the PSU input.
    It is recommended to do this? I've seen people pulling 12v from the DVD power, but I don't think it is a good idea. I took it directly from the 12v input.
    5v fans don't move much air and I don't want aftermarkets, so it is either the 5v fans running at 12v or at 7v.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Re: 7v fan (??) in an xbox360

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=637955

That should help you out, you should never pull the 12 volts from dvd line. Tap into the bottom of the motherboard where psu connects. I have all my 360's on 12 volt mod and it is louder but it keeps it so much cooler.
    Last edited by mordor840; 06-26-2009, 11:01 PM.

Comment

See my post over in the other thread.

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

I've got a recapped Antec SP 2.0 running my 360 I made a guide on that site somewhere to modify an already available 360 to ATX connector (original pulled all 16 amps of 12V through one wire the mod deals with this balancing the load from 3 wires using the additional 2 12 V line wires on the 4 pin connector) a garden variety NPN transistor inverts the on signal polarity to the PSU. Takes the positive signal at it's base and grounds out the PSUs green wire.

The 360 uses a positive signal to kick the original PSU on I have no idea why.

With this setup it's much easier to get an easy 12 volts.

I agree solder to the power input pins don't go tapping off the consoles rails or anything.
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 06-27-2009, 08:40 AM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Done the 7v thing. The GPU still overheats. Running on 12v or the system with the 3 position switch and no overheat.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Working...
          X