sold a bad motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sold a bad motherboard

So it's also a possibility that replacing the cap will not fix it.....should have never bought used.

Comment

This was the most similar cap I was able to find and I looked at numerous places. What do you guys think?

http://www.het-electronics.net/servl...icon-PM/Detail

I've been practicing removing capacitors from my old xbox, but I just can't seem to get them to heat up enough to come out- I tried heat gun plus soldering iron, and I tried to add a little solder to help conduct heat. No luck at all.

Comment

What wattage and type of soldering iron do yoyu have? You shouldn't need a heat gun to remove a capactiro.

Comment

I got it....just needed a little more patience and some guts to get in closer. I also cleaned the tip of the soldering gun with a green scrubbing sponge and added solder to the tip.

Now the only problem is that the hole is closed up with solder and I can't get the solder off of it. Otherwise, I think I might be able to get this done so long as I find the right cap.

Comment

I cleaned up the holes as much as possible.

I wasn't really sure what to be careful for after reading the tutorial on the web site. I used a sewing needle to push through as I melted the solder from that back side, and eventually got a hole that you can see through, but it's not very clean.

Comment

I ordered these:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...7-RR71C101MDN1

Do they look okay?

Comment

That one should be fine
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

You may luck out with the cap (if it was somehow not soldered properly) but based on my history with that brand I wouldn't hold my breath.

In the future stay away from Asus all together. Hopefully either they're going to clean up their act or keep producing crap and go out of business.

I've had way too many issues with their boards from bad caps, to them partially dying (dead onboard nics), to completely an inexplicably dying (no POST). The last two had no high ESR caps. IMO they're lowest bidder bottom of the barrel Chinese crap.

Your motherboard is the foundation of your PC which everything is built off if it topples every other component is meaningless. No need to get the highest end board out there but you don't want a low end board either.

Let online reviews be your guide when selecting a board if there is a disproportionate amount of bad reviews stating the board is dying prematurely or failing in some other way move on.

I've had good luck with Gigabyte as of late and on the board I've got they used Chemicon polymers. Intel is another reliable brand I haven't had issues with.
                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM.
                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I hope so- I needed an extra computer that would be able to crunch data but would not break the bank.....so I looked for used parts. My first few builds were ASUS, but I've been hearing a lot of people echo what you've said. I still have my Gigabyte board that I'm using now, and it is a great board in every way so I think maybe I'm going to be less open with my computer building choices.

Is it important to clean all the solder before attaching the new capacitor? I don't have any desoldering braid, but if I need to I'll have to go check radio shack to see if they have any.

Comment

If you've removed enough solder to insert the new cap leads it's fine.

However if the original cap got ripped out somehow the through hole via could be torn if that's the case the cap could have lost contact with the trace or traces on the inner layers of the PCB hopefully that's not the case.
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-19-2011, 07:16 PM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                        IMO they're lowest bidder bottom of the barrel Chinese crap.
                        And overpriced besides. They're counting on suckers or lamer "gam3rz" falling for "ERP" and other gimmicks 'packaged and marketed' in such a way as to sound better than they really are. Like I say, ECS quality on a Tyan budget- sorry, Shovenose.

I've had good luck with Gigabyte as of late and on the board I've got they used Chemicon polymers.
                        Polymers in the VRM and HMs elsewhere. Sometimes HDs.

Intel is another reliable brand I haven't had issues with.
                        WARNING. Make damn sure you can either see in person or get large pix of whatever 'Intel' board you're mulling over. The newer ones sometimes contain an "Egg." If the caps' silkscreens are backwards, it's a goddamn ASUS... Other than that, they are reliable.

-Paul
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                        Originally posted by shango066
                        All style and no substance.
                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                          And overpriced besides. They're counting on suckers or lamer "gam3rz" falling for "ERP" and other gimmicks 'packaged and marketed' in such a way as to sound better than they really are. Like I say, ECS quality on a Tyan budget- sorry, Shovenose.
                          I don't like ECS either. I bought the ECS because it was CHEAP

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            I bought the ECS because it was CHEAP
                            Don't even go there, buddy! Reminds me of that stupid ASCROCK 780FHD I suffered with- what a losing deal. I thought I could be 'cheep' too...

See, I wanted an AMD CPU... This was a cheapie system built in a case that was saved from being scrapped.

System was an LE-1640 and 780FHD, with 2GB DDR-2/800, dual channel. I only went for that board with the expectation that recapping it (while brand new, no less) would bring it up to my expectations. Spending as much in caps as the board cost, I still wasn't there- I wrote about this in another post/thread.

With what I have now, it became immediately apparent what was missing! Hint, hint, performance and, more importantly, stability!

-Paul
                            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                            Originally posted by shango066
                            All style and no substance.
                            Originally posted by smashstuff30
                            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I totally agree, ASUS aren't much better quality wise than ECS. They are essentially the Antec of the motherboard world - expensive, but absolute junk in terms of reliability. It stands for Always Seriously UnStable
                              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well, something didn't work-

I soldered in a new cap from the link I posted, and my MOBO failed to POST. I tried another cap, and the same thing......

Not much I could do at this point but try to scavege parts- anything even worthwhile?

Comment

check for the trace around the caps ..maybe the trace got damaged
                                  i have asus P5E that have a damage trace around NB HSF screw
                                  fixed it with wire jumper

3 asus board (P5E, Maximus Formula , P5K Premium) all fine and overclock well

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                    It stands for Always Seriously UnStable
                                    OH! - I like that!
                                    And it's so true!
                                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

This may be a stupid question did you check to see if it had warranty with ASUS. I believe they give years of warranty. If you can make it look new where you were working........

And if they say no warranty that is one we scrapped then you have proof to go after the seller.

Comment

its an asus you know..polarity marks reversed.white half=+.
                                        double check your work.

Comment

Well, I decided to give it one more shot without trashing it.....not having a solder sucker or other solder remover really made things much much more difficult and probably contributed to the failure the first time around.

Originally I used silver solder, but decided to double check with my 60/40 free stuff that I got when I bought my soldering iron. I also grabbed my other soldering iron that heats up much better. I filled as much of the space as I could with the 60/40 solder so that the flux would get in as far as I could get it (I don't think my other solder had flux). I then went through a few caps trying to clear the holes since they wouldn't come through. Eventually I got one in to where I felt it was good enough and used a heat gun to flow the accumulated flux away from the leads, and then added one last dab of solder to form a decent, but imperfect joint. I also spent some time blasting it with a heat gun in case to get it melty and flowing in the hole where the lead makes contact.

I tested it once, but my power supply would shut down almost immediately.....switched RAM slots and it powered up. I may have ruined some RAM slots, or maybe one of my fan jumpers was shorting because they were bent, but it powers up now.

Unfortunately, I can't trust it yet so I can't use it until I get it into a test rig and beat on it for a few hours/days.....fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X