Miracle Antec SL350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle Antec SL350

A guy recently brought an old s478 PC in to work (which he was retiring) to transfer data to a new laptop. I noticed that it had an unmodified Antec SL350 PSU in it. I opened it up just for laughs, but I was in for a surprise. The caps looked fine (with the exception of one on the 3.3V rail which looks slightly bulged). Thinking that they must all be dried out and failed without bulging, I loaded it up to 350W on the tester. Surprise, surprise, everything is well and truly in spec. This thing must have only been plugged in once for a few hours per month or something (or he kept his PC in the fridge ).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by c_hegge; 09-16-2014, 02:30 AM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: Miracle Antec SL350

Wow, that's actually amazing. Must have got extremely lucky, because they'd fail from just sitting, and fail with lots of use too. So the slightly bulged cap is a Teapo and not a Fuhjyyu? How much load did you put on the 12V? Did it get really hot?

Comment

Wow, almost every used antec psu I have come across a large majority of the fuhjyyus were blown even in a two year old neo :O

Image showing that two year old neo that had moderate use, almost all the fuhjyyus were blown replaced with panny fr, samxon rs and ucc ky.
      Attached Files
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Oh, this is surprising in a good way!

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
          So the slightly bulged cap is a Teapo and not a Fuhjyyu? How much load did you put on the 12V? Did it get really hot?
          It's a Fuhjyyu. I had about 20A (240W) on the 12V rail, 15A on the 5V, 10A on the 3.3V, 2A on the 5vsb, and 0.1A on the -12V. The heatsink did get hot. It was too hot to hold my finger on by the time I finished load testing. However, unlike on most other smartpower PSUs, the fans did actually rev up. They were probably at nearly full speed with said load on the PSU after a few minutes. That may just be why the caps held up better than usual on this particular unit.
          Last edited by c_hegge; 09-16-2014, 04:15 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Interesting. Was there perhaps an extra resistor in parallel with the fan controller? Although this does look like a pretty early revision, being late 2004

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              It's a Fuhjyyu. I had about 20A (240W) on the 12V rail, 15A on the 5V, 10A on the 3.3V, 2A on the 5vsb, and 0.1A on the -12V. The heatsink did get hot. It was too hot to hold my finger on by the time I finished load testing. However, unlike on most other smartpower PSUs, the fans did actually rev up. They were probably at nearly full speed with said load on the PSU after a few minutes. That may just be why the caps held up better than usual on this particular unit.
              They're less likely to fail on True Powers. True Powers don't have the BS fan config.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

^
                Wrong. This unit is not a truepower, and the TruePowers had the same overly relaxed fan curve and got bad caps just as often as the SmartPowers.

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Interesting. Was there perhaps an extra resistor in parallel with the fan controller? Although this does look like a pretty early revision, being late 2004
                I didn't notice one. Maybe they just used a lower value thermistor in it. In any case, I won't worry about modifying the fan controller on this one. I'll just recap it and it should be good to go.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 09-16-2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Interesting. And I'm glad you're recapping it. It's earned some extra life! I don't like soldering on these though, they're usually really messy and smell bad.

Comment

^
                    Wrong. This unit is not a truepower, and the TruePowers had the same overly relaxed fan curve and got bad caps just as often as the SmartPowers.
                    The SmartPowers appear to have a config to keep one fan off most of the time and there appears to be a flaw where one of the fans never come on and thus probably the +5V VSB cap getting cooked!

It looks like that was the bad fate of my 2005 version.
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-16-2014, 08:25 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

^
                      Maybe, but the TPs have the fans running so slow that it doesn't make much difference.

btw, the fan controller curve has nothing to do with the 5vsb cap getting cooked. Remember, the 5vsb is active even with the rest of the PSU (including the 12V rail and thus the fans) off.

Comment

^
                        Maybe, but the TPs have the fans running so slow that it doesn't make much difference.

btw, the fan controller curve has nothing to do with the 5vsb cap getting cooked. Remember, the 5vsb is active even with the rest of the PSU (including the 12V rail and thus the fans) off.
                        My bad, that line will stay running.

But, I couldn't recall my 2003 TruePower 1.0 being so problematic like my 2005 SmartPower 2.0 was.

Were the TruePower 1.0s always better in the fan controller department?
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Not that I know of. There's been a few instances on here of older truepowers getting bad caps. I can't confirm from personal experience, though. I think I've only ever seen one Truepower 1.0 PSU, and that was years ago - before I know anything about the cap problem that Antecs had. I've only ever had SmartPower PSUs to recap.

Comment

Working...
                          X