Swap a 1000uf 10V for a 1500uf 16V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swap a 1000uf 10V for a 1500uf 16V

They are called electrolytic because the chemical & electrical processes that go on inside are electrolysis. When the cap is manufactured the oxide layer may be created by whatever means but once it's in use it works similar to electroplating.
    [Although what gets plated is an oxide and not a pure metal or alloy.]

To understand lytic caps you have to stop thinking in terms of voltage on the cap and think in terms of current through the cap.
    In terms of current through the cap, the cap is a resistor with a value based on the thickness of the oxide layer.

~~

One half cycle of the alternating ripple current thins the layer. - Reverse current half.
    [Same with negative swing of signal currents.]
    -
    Time also thins the layer by the oxide's natural chemical interaction with the electrolyte. This is what shelf life is based on and why old caps need 'reformed'.

The leakage current from applied DC thickens the layer.
    - As the layer thickens the resistance goes up and leakage current goes down until an equilibrium point where the electrolyte can't provide any more oxide. [A higher applied voltage can 'drive' more oxide out of the electrolyte creating a thicker layer.]

Ripple [and time] thins the layer causing leakage to go up.
    The leakage current then rebuilds the layer causing leakage to go back down.
    - This is why lytics used to be called 'self healing' caps.

*The amount of leakage current is dependent on the applied voltage.
    *The 'rebuilding' will only occur up to a thickness consistent with the applied voltage.

~~

Now, if you apply too much voltage for the existing thickness of the layer you can overwhelm the rebuilding process and end up with what amounts to arching from plate to plate [right through the oxide layer] and that will damage the layer beyond repair. In that case the leakage will go up and continue going up until the cap shorts or opens or is so far out of spec it is useless in the circuit.

~~
    I tried making some animated videos of what goes on inside caps a while ago but animation isn't exactly my forte. I suck at it.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

PCBonez--

Turns out I had another cap go bad in this TV, so I tried your suggestion to use a stainless-steel needle to clear the holes. I held the needle in a small vise-grip and pushed the point through from the top side of the board while applying the tip of the soldering iron from the bottom side. That works well.

Thanks.

Comment

I wrote a lengthy reply about how C114 went bad in this set too and that I replaced it and C175. The effed up software on this forum ate my post when I tried to preview it. That disinclines me to come back here.

Long story short I used Panasonic/ECG EEU-FR0J122 and EEU-FR0J821 and it works.

Really it is astounding how anybody can use software as bad as this forum does.

Comment

Good job on fixing the monitor.

VBulletin is really "the standard" when it comes to forum software, the problem is this forum doesn't have a "plugin" (or "extension") added to it that would remember what you type in case you accidentally go back or close the tab.

Didn't happen here so far, but I've been burned several times when posting on other sites due to ads stealing the focus so when I pressed Backspace the browser assumed I wanted to go back.

So I installed the Lazarus:Form Recovery extension in Firefox: http://lazarus.interclue.com/

It basically keeps in memory the last 5-10 or so texts you typed in boxes for each site you visit, and it's freeware, no nags, no ads, no popups in browser. Works great.

Comment

I use Chrome and recent Firefox - both remember form content on going back and unexpected shut down.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
            X