Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blinking power light fix for DVP642 DVD Player

Originally posted by i4004
    you can put low esr caps there, but you'll still be dumping it to garbage much sooner than good gp lytics can last, because it's cheap mechanics will fail. o.
    Sorry, but this is simply not true. Any well branded low ESR capacitor will outlast your GP capacitors by ages.
    Only the cheapo low esr capacitors have this problem.

I know many devices like CRT TV sets etc. which are using 105°c GP capacitors in a SMPS.
    But sure, non of these devices last anything longer then 2 to 5 years.
    Personally, i do not use anything else than low ESR capacitor in SMPS powered appliances, even if it cost an arm and a leg.
    I don`t want to fix any of my devices more then once.
    If your happy with using GP capacitors, no problem it`s your choice.

Comment

you can put low esr caps there, but you'll still be dumping it to garbage much sooner than good gp lytics can last, because it's cheap mechanics will fail. like gastor's case proves(caps are not the only and exclusive malfunction cause on electronic devices, you know).
      I can demonstrate how wrong this statement is.

The first data sheet is for a GP 85C cap.
      1. It is not targeted to work at 100Khz
      2. Load life at 85C is 1000 hours. So at operating temp of 55C load life is 8000hrs
      http://www.samxon.com/PDF/prodPDF_27.pdf

This second data sheet is for a low ESR cap.
      1. Designed for 100Khz operation (usually SMPS applications)
      2. Load life at 105C is 2000hrs. So at operating temp of 55C load life is 64000hrs.
      http://www.samxon.com/PDF/prodPDF_95.pdf

In general 85C GP caps are considerably lower quality and shorter life. The 105C GP caps are likewise not characterised for 100KHz and load life at 55C is increased to 32000hrs

http://www.samxon.com/PDF/prodPDF_28.pdf

We are talking simply of cap replacement. Other faults are a seperate issue.
      Last edited by davmax; 03-10-2008, 01:49 AM.
      Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
      Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
      160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
      160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
      Samsung 18x DVD writer
      Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
      33 way card reader
      Windows XP Pro SP3
      Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
      17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
      HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Originally posted by gastorgrab
        There are only 6 caps on the power board that have vents.

3 brands i have never heard of and can't find on the 'Bad' list are;

chang
        FOAI
        NL

Chang
        http://en.huaweiec.cn/cp/cp.asp

I have some in a PSU. - No problems yet.
        The others in PSU are Teapo.

I dunno the other two brands either.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Sorry, but this is simply not true. Any well branded low ESR capacitor will outlast your GP capacitors by ages.
          Only the cheapo low esr capacitors have this problem.

I know many devices like CRT TV sets etc. which are using 105°c GP capacitors in a SMPS.
          But sure, non of these devices last anything longer then 2 to 5 years.
          Personally, i do not use anything else than low ESR capacitor in SMPS powered appliances, even if it cost an arm and a leg.
          I don`t want to fix any of my devices more then once.
          If your happy with using GP capacitors, no problem it`s your choice.
          you didn't understand what i said: i said a good quality gp lytic will last longer than optical drive on that cheap-ass dvd-player(and today they're mostly all built with a cheapest optical drives from pc drives). so why would you wanna put something that will last longer than gp lytic? just to pay more?

i'm not contesting that low-esr lasts longer(it does), but here it's a matter of do you need them or not.
          i say no, you don't need low-esr caps at all circuits.

you know recently produced tv-sets that last 2-5 years, sure, i believe you, but i know a bit older sets that last 10-20 years, with gp lytics.
          it goes to say people are putting more crap in electronics today, to make them cheaper(offcourse, it cannot last long). i have a panasonic tv 13 years old. do you think it has low-esr caps inside? or just good quality gp caps?
          inside like all around: not one low esr cap in that tv-set.

i didn't say he should swap gp lytics with cheapest availabe gp lytics, offcourse. but low esr is overkill at this application. its optical/mehanical system will last much shorter than its electronics(when it employs good quality gp lytics, offcourse).
          if you can prove that i'm not right about that, i'm listening.

davmax, you're constantly mixing-up the caps in primary section of smps and secondary(output).
          for example, why did you mention smps chip of this psu? does its datasheet explicitly states that low-esr caps need to be used? please show us this.

also, now you're mentioning 100khz operation; where do you think that operation is, on primary or secondary side?
          if you're saying rectified 100khz on the output is rapidly destroying good gp cap, i'd like to see some data, some proof about that. anything really.

and again, i have no issue woth the fact that low-esr shoudl last longer(if its any good), but do you honestly think a good gp lytic will be the FIRST thing that fails on that player?
          are you aware of how precise that laser assembly has to be and with what materials is it assembled with in new optical drives? and ergo what chances does it have to last more than few years if you use that player at all?

the bottom point; these gp caps failed because they were crap quality, not because gp caps couldn't function there for extended periods of time.
          btw. to prove me wrong you need the following:
          this smps with good quality gp caps(say samxon you mention, or panasonic etc.) and then you keep it on all the time and tell us when they fail: have you conducted such a test to prove what you're saying is correct?
          to remind you, you're saying you absolutely need low-esr caps there.

you can, offourse, put low esr caps there, but this will serve no meaningful purpose. you should be putting low-esr caps to places where you expect longer lifetime from the device in question, for example mobo or pc psu and such. not a device where optical drive is almost exclusively plastic.
          in tv-sets i wouldn't be putting low-esr, because (like i said) gps can last more than the tube itself, if they were of good quality.
          you need the see the big picture: device will last as much as it's weakest link will.
          offcourse, if you're the one that puts the new tubes in tv-sets or is changing the optical drives on cheap dvd-players(or mechanics on vcrs), sure go ahead and put low-esr caps and make the player last 20 years(you'll probably need 5-6 optical drives in that time). but are you that type?

Comment

My last Telefunken TV set, a very old Palcolor was one of those set, which lasted more then then years.

But sure, in this set where no radial GP type of capacitor, any single lytic in the SMPS path was an big can type, which are sold as switching proof.

Then the manufacturer had been switched to GP, non large can type electrolytic capacitors, and sure, capacitor swapping developed to the standard service for those sets in a 3 to 5 year interval (have you ever owned an Grundig? Sony?)

Regarding the quality of optical drives, your probably right. Most will not even survive the load live of a quality GP capacitor.

Any serious SMPS start at 20khz today, but most are designed with higher frequencies, as this allows to use less output capacitance (this will safe some bucks) and is more efficient.
            I think to discuss this any further is worthless.
            If you want some proof, educate yourself by reading some data sheets and application notes of SMPS controller chips.
            You will find in any of them some equation, which sets the ESR required for a specific SMPS. IF you use some GP capacitors in parallel, or a single low esr ones is up to the designer.

For any filter application > 60Hz a low esr capacitor (sure not the latest & greatest, there is plenty of choices from GP to ultra low esr) is the right thing.
            If you are using well branded quality GP capacitors, price difference is not that huge.

But most people and many pro`s do use the same crap like Yago, Teapo etc. Sure compared with those, any low ESR capacitor is a premium.
            For the cost of five Panasonic FC you will get a bag of 25 to 100 from those.

Comment

(have you ever owned an Grundig? Sony?)
              yes, 8 years old sony in living room, and it certainly seems as if tube(crt) will be the first to go(getting slightly blurry). no problems with electronics whatosoever.

i also know of grundig tv even older, about 10 years, possibly more. equally no problems during its lifetime. oh yeah, i know of another grundig tv thats circa early 90s, as far as we could see from model number.
              that one is in excellent working order. picture is incredibly sharp for tv-set that old. that one i didn't dismantle so i can't say if anything was fixed, but it think it's highly probably it was not.

hell, my sister has thomson (poland made) tv-set older than 5 years and there were no problems with it. we also have same model but we're not using it much, so it's not representative.

perhaps sometimes you think it's a bad model just because there's a lot of them on the market so it's bound to break more than something that sold in low numbers. it's the way of statistics.
              also, undoubtedly some model have weak spots..... tv-sets produced in former yugoslavia were mostly like that...hehe
              good models were the telefunken licenses.

Most will not even survive the load live of a quality GP capacitor.
              that's the gist of what i'm saying: save low-esrs for mobos and pc psus.

Any serious SMPS start at 20khz today, but most are designed with higher frequencies, as this allows to use less output capacitance (this will safe some bucks) and is more efficient.
              I think to discuss this any further is worthless.
              If you want some proof, educate yourself by reading some data sheets and application notes of SMPS controller chips.
              You will find in any of them some equation, which sets the ESR required for a specific SMPS. IF you use some GP capacitors in parallel, or a single low esr ones is up to the designer.
              i don't like how you're positioning yourself in this argument: i asked for proof output caps need to be low-esr as per pwm ic mfr's design(because davmax mentioned the chip). have you provided any?
              you say i'll find it in any of them, so let's pick 2:
              http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/KA/KA5M02659RN.html
              http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/UC/UC3842.html
              any mention of caps esr there?

uc datasheet mentions cap (and resistor) that determine switching freq., but that cap is not electrolytic at all.
              i wouldn't say esr of a output lytics is a general parameter of smps design at all. it is not as important in these applications as you make it seem. i already said where it is important.
              it's more of a vrm thing
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator_module

talking low-esr in context of dvd-player or simillar device is being offtopic.
              low-esr caps won't prolong these devices lifetime for the reasons i mentioned.
              some ohter things will die sooner than good quality gp caps.

But most people and many pro`s do use the same crap like Yago, Teapo etc. Sure compared with those, any low ESR capacitor is a premium.
              well, it's better to put panasonic, for sure, but..huhm..how many devices with general purpose yageo and teapo replacements have you fixed?
              those are probably somewhere in the middle when it comes to quality, you certainly have lower quality yet.

again, you can put low-esr there but it will serve no purpose: put a good gp and save some money. that device won't last long anyway.
              put low esr where stress is much higher and where you expect longer lifetime from a device.

Comment

i4004 you are right about optical drives most likely failing before the quality caps and both Gonzo and I misunderstood your statement there.

Our original issue was with the following statement:
                ESR is not the issue. anyone who says it is, doesnt know what they're talking about, and is just parroting the same misinformation. we're talking about a power supply circuit, not a high speed microcontroller.
                This is because the DVP642 does use a switch mode power supply and if a cap fails it should be replaced by a low ESR type a) longer life and b)the original was very likely a low quality low ESR type.

Yes there are many old TVs etc that have caps that have lasted. Over the last decade technology has advanced to use faster and smaller SMPS and this has created a requirement for a new generation of caps ie low ESR.

you say:

davmax, you're constantly mixing-up the caps in primary section of smps and secondary(output).
                for example, why did you mention smps chip of this psu? does its datasheet explicitly states that low-esr caps need to be used? please show us this.

also, now you're mentioning 100khz operation; where do you think that operation is, on primary or secondary side?
                if you're saying rectified 100khz on the output is rapidly destroying good gp cap, i'd like to see some data, some proof about that. anything really.
                Firstly I have not mentioned anything about primary or secondary. Low ESR caps will last longer and are intended for SMPS secondary filtering. Yes you are correct that the output filtering in a computer VRM is where ESR is most critical.

Re 100Khz . Are trying to intimidate or being insulting?

I think you will agree that replacing a failed cap in a SMPS secondary with a good quality low ESR cap will at least mean that you will not be going back for the same fault for a long time. The cost per cap is usually less than $2 which is good insurance. Hopefully my DVP642 will continue on that much longer.

Data sheets have been supplied that do indicate the life and 100Khz parameters of a Samxon GC low ESR series. Additionally take a read of this article:
                http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/upl...18FF09455A.pdf

The links you provided covering two SMPS controllers do not mention low ESR caps TRUE. But the UC3842 is a low power device and does use low ESR and low ESL non electro caps that enable operation up to 500Khz. Unfortunately just because low ESR is not mentioned this is no case that they are not required. In the designs today they are essential to achieve the high frequencies and efficiencies achievable and this requirement is well known by designers and does not required specific mention.
                Last edited by davmax; 03-10-2008, 03:54 PM.
                Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                Samsung 18x DVD writer
                33 way card reader
                Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

b)the original was very likely a low quality low ESR type.
                  if the original was low-esr then, sure. it should be replaced by same type.
                  but somehow i doubt this design used low esr caps anywhere. i just joined mentioned yahoo group about this player and couldn't find a good pic of caps... do you have any?

Over the last decade technology has advanced to use faster and smaller SMPS and this has created a requirement for a new generation of caps ie low ESR.
                  plase post some proof for this. pix of caps in household electronics appliances, like tvs, dvd-players, vcrs etc. anything that uses smps.
                  i didn't ecounter low-esr caps on stuff i took apart, but true, i don't go around dismantling new devices etc.
                  those cheapies that i did inspect had gp crap chinese caps that fail because they're crap quality.
                  i'll post few images in psu sub-forum..i mean, teapo is like premium type capacitor for what you can find in cheap pc psus. it's a disaster.
                  same goes for cheap dvd-players, doesn't really matter if it has philips badge.
                  if it's cheap it means its production was even cheaper...

Re 100Khz . Are trying to intimidate or being insulting?
                  none. i would just like to see you prove this.
                  for example with oscilloscope that shows considerably worse performance of gp cap vs. low-esr.
                  also, you're aware that higher the freq. easier of a job to smooth it becomes, right?

overall i think low-esr lytics would be more important on primary side, if it's used there at all.
                  and it probably is not. you'll probably find only gp caps there too, in devices we're discussing.

I think you will agree that replacing a failed cap in a SMPS secondary with a good quality low ESR cap will at least mean that you will not be going back for the same fault for a long time.
                  i agree with that, but i amend it with a fact that i'm not returning to same flaw when i repair it with good quality gp cap likewise.
                  .pdf article you linked is a propaganda from low-esr cap mfr: sure they want you to put their low-esr caps anywhere you possibly can. i never contested you can put them in dvd-player, and that it'll work fine after that, i just said you don't need to.
                  what i object is your usage of word "must" here.
                  it is not a must.
                  even on motherboards it is not a full "must" (inspect posts by member called "Rainbow" on this forum
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=esr#post11155 ), but indeed is much more important to have low-esr on mobos.
                  (and i surely wouldn't protest against anybody saying low-esr caps are must for mobos, because even if mobos can work with gp caps it just makes more sense to have better caps there...but at some places you just can't get low-esr caps and mobo will probably work with gp caps too...so you put what you have)

something else; this chip actually can be of 3 variants; 50, 67 and 100khz: which one is in this player's smps? although again, that matters the least, i would say.

here's a thing: .pdf you linked mentions 0.5ohm difference on 100khz between standard and low-esr cap. put a 0.5 resistor(after the cap) if using low-esr cap(to emulate gp cap) and see if anything changes. i say it won't.

The links you provided covering two SMPS controllers do not mention low ESR caps TRUE. But the UC3842 is a low power device and does use low ESR and low ESL non electro caps that enable operation up to 500Khz. Unfortunately just because low ESR is not mentioned this is no case that they are not required. In the designs today they are essential to achieve the high frequencies and efficiencies achievable and this requirement is well known by designers and does not required specific mention.
                  again;
                  plase post some proof for this. pix of caps in household electronics appliances, like tvs, dvd-players, vcrs etc. anything that uses smps.
                  also, we were discussing electrolytic caps here, so no need to evade answer now by mentioning non-elko caps, i would say.

i'm not arguing what's better or what will last longer (low-esr caps will) but i'm saying there is no purpose in putting them everywhere. if you have a piece of electronics without moving parts, i say they're excellent choice to extend longevity. but if you have a cheap plastic optical drive, purpose of putting low-esr cap escapes me.

i've put a gp cap to my vcr(one cap..like i said on other places i'm not changing caps that work..i've made esr-meter to be able to pinpoint bad caps): replacing all those caps with low-esr would cost me more than vcr is worth. and i proved it doesn't need low-esr caps because it's now working more than it was working before and it's not failing.
                  if you have expereince that suggests you absolutely "must" put low esr cap in such devices, i'm listening.
                  otherwise i'll be signing off, i have some nice pix of crappy psus to post.
                  <wink>
                  Last edited by i4004; 03-10-2008, 07:00 PM.

Comment

if the original was low-esr then, sure. it should be replaced by same type.
                    but somehow i doubt this design used low esr caps anywhere. i just joined mentioned yahoo group about this player and couldn't find a good pic of caps... do you have any?
                    Looking at the DVP642P there is a mix of caps on the SMPS transformer secondary side. Some are 85C GP caps and others are 105C. Most often the 105C is an indication of Low ESR and usually the vent, but many GP caps have vents too. You are correct in that most consumer devices the lowest cost component is used and if a GP can do the job its used. Hence a mix of caps. Looking at the circuit the GPs are used for low current supplies. However the one cap on the main 5V DC supply has heavy current circuit traces and this is usually the one that fails and is replaced with a good low ESR and the original was likely low ESR, whatever type it was it is not up to the job. Yes light current circuits can and do use GPs.

This thread is about fixing a problem with the DVP642P and a number of people have replaced the one cap with a successful fix. Jephthah claimed all were wrong and that the problem was overvolting a 10V cap. I questioned that input in that it is not the case in my 642. The 10V is on a 5v supply. We have not received a response.

You have my agreement that low quality caps are used even in SMPS low current outputs. Note that I replaced one failing cap that would benefit being replaced by a low ESR, as did others who posted. The GPs remain.

for example with oscilloscope that shows considerably worse performance of gp cap vs. low-esr.
                    also, you're aware that higher the freq. easier of a job to smooth it becomes, right?
                    For low current work GPs are not a problem. For Cap life ESR is all about ripple current heat loss so if loss is low a cheap cap will do. An oscilloscope is not really necessary, a higher ESR will make a ripple difference it is just a matter of what can be tolerated. Apparently one cap is marginal in 642.

We both have good points. Low ESR caps exist for a reason that I am sure you understand. Making fast and powerful SMPS possible. Computer motherboards we agree use them for good reason or manufacturers are not bean counting.

We have really drifted off the thread issue of a proven fix. Mechanical failure was mentioned and is a very different ball game.

Your experience and contribution re consumer component practice has been worthwhile to highlight that GP caps are used in SMPS where they will be sufficient.

One question. Why would Low ESR be better on the Transformer primary side? This is AC side of the SMPS transformer and the rectified DC supply is high voltage and low current and ripple will be low in the filter cap.
                    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                    Samsung 18x DVD writer
                    33 way card reader
                    Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Why would Low ESR be better on the Transformer primary side? This is AC side of the SMPS transformer and the rectified DC supply is high voltage and low current and ripple will be low in the filter cap.
                      i wouldn't call primary side ac at all: it's a high-voltage dc that was chopped by power mosfets. those are impulse waveforms which don't go to negative polarity at all(secondary trafo windings do). but that is a matter of terminology and not that important. we speak of same thing.

what i meant is that if crappy low quality caps are used in feedback loop (around the pwm chip etc.) then they can make ic pulses(that steer power mosfets) go bonkers and ergo destroy anything that's connected to output. looking at the failed crappy psus that seems like plausible explanation. i speak of chopper controller as being on primary side as it's directly steering the high voltage dc. perhaps that's not so wise, but you know what i mean.
                      some lytics literally are on the HV side indeed.
                      so even if ic itself is giving good pulses these caps can mangle them and lead to disaster.
                      so i think best quality caps would fit there nicely(also around the pwm, offcourse).

otoh, if you have high esr on secondary it probably won't lead to disaster: at certain point it will bias the feedback loop too much(capacitor will be becoming resistor too) and that will shut down the pwm ic.
                      (those are probably the intermittant-power-failure types of psu malfunction).

what scares me is weird things happening to chopper control. these can be real dangerous. so feedback loop/chopper control is probably the weakes part of smps.
                      (offcourse power mosfets are taking a great beating too, so they can fail too).

Comment

My understanding is that there are no electrolytics in the feedback loop only low value non electro to reduce noise but not cause a significant delay. So there should be no problem there.

See feedback loop in this App Note: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AN/AN-4105.pdf

You got me curious about the 100UF cap I replaced in the 642. I did not check what it was because I have a stock of low ESR caps and just replaced it knowing it would improve things.

Because of the heavier current circuit and the 1000uF value I suspect it was low ESR. I checked data sheets to see what the ESR difference would be if a GP cap was replaced by a Low ESR.

Samxon GP Series KM 1000u 6.3V Max ripple 443mA
                        Samxon Series GC LESR 1000u 6.3V Max ripple 1700mA

If it is assumed that the temperature rise in both is identical for their respective I squared R product the calculation reveals that the Gp cap has an ESR about 14 times that of the other. This may be Ok in a light load circuit remembering that ESR should be say times 30-50 less than the load resistance.
                        This does indicate the sort of challenge faced when GP caps are placed in a computer VRM output, the ESR to load ratio will be somewhat stuffed ( eg ESR to load ratio dropping from 1:50 to 1:3.6) and much more ripple will get to the load (CPU), less ripple current through the caps (higher ESR limiting the current bypassed through the caps). This will of course vary with different cap selections but illustrates the effect.
                        Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                        Samsung 18x DVD writer
                        33 way card reader
                        Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

in that pdf there is a lytic in soft-satrt section(chapter 1.5).
                          also not all designs are the same, and also, you don't have complete circuit here, just the portions.
                          also, this thing scares me in cheap designs, not good ones.

i don't quite underastand how did you reach 14x less esr for low esr cap.
                          why don't you just measure it?
                          <wink>

i would say main difference between low-esr and gp in vrm would be durability.
                          ie gp cap will sooner reach unacceptable levels of esr thru deterioration.
                          it's not like when both are new you have considerable differences.
                          do you have esr-meter? do check gp caps esr vs. low-esr.
                          considerable differences you will not find.
                          we're talking about differences that challenge meter's own resolution.

also, i don't really understand why do you mention current?
                          this players (overall) consumes what, 30w?
                          that's nothing.

oh yeah, don't throw away replaced parts that fast..hehe...

Comment

in that pdf there is a lytic in soft-satrt section(chapter 1.5).
                            also not all designs are the same, and also, you don't have complete circuit here, just the portions.
                            also, this thing scares me in cheap designs, not good ones.

Sure Soft start may have electro but that is not a very critical or a stessful circuit. ALL SMPS should have a fast feedback loop that responds quickly to the DC voltage change at the reg output. It is part of the principle of operation, a lag caused by a high capacity electro is not desirable. The DC signal controls the pulse width to correct an output change, the frequency is usually constant. To identify the feedback circuit or understand the principles does not require the complete circuit. The main signal lag in SMPS is caused by the output choke and filter cap.

i don't quite underastand how did you reach 14x less esr for low esr cap.
                            why don't you just measure it?
                            It is calculated from the Cap data sheets using caps of same value and volt rating. I account the major difference due to GP versus the ultra low ESR GC cap. I might measure as you suggest but it is a matter of comparing apples for apples (same value caps) which I do not have right now. It was an exercise on my part to see what the calculated difference would be, it was another insight.

also, i don't really understand why do you mention current?
                            this players (overall) consumes what, 30w?
                            that's nothing.
                            I simply pointed out that the one cap was involved in a higher load current circuit and would benefit from a low ESR cap. Why did the manufacturer make special effort in creating a) heavier track and b)also having no resist on the track so that current path was improved by solder along just that track.
                            Last edited by davmax; 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM.
                            Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                            Samsung 18x DVD writer
                            33 way card reader
                            Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

30W Hum. If we say 25W goes into main 5Volt rail that is 5 amps, quite substantial with just one 1000uF cap for filtering. With a 1:10 ESR to load ratio this would place the required ESR to be 100millohm or less placing the requirement in the low ESR cap range. Gives some feel for possiblities.
                              Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                              Samsung 18x DVD writer
                              33 way card reader
                              Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

just wanted to say thanks, blinking power/standby light problem GONE and player again working after replacing C316 with one I had lying around in the parts bins...

Comment

Philips DVD Video Player DVP 642/37 with DivX
                                  Power Board LVP103850-0301 SM02659R
                                  Video Board DVP6XX ESS Vibratto II ES6698FF

C316 in mine is a G-Luxon 1000uf 10v which has never been replaced. I just posted in this old thread to provide pictures.
                                  Attached Files
                                  sig files are for morons

Comment

C316 replaced with a Low ESR 1000uF 16V Rubicon Cap that I got from here. Unit now works great, thanks everyone.

Took me only 30 minutes total for the desolder and resolder of caps. Next project is a dead HP motherboard which will be a bigger challenge since its more caps.

Comment

I just replaced C316 with a 3300uF 6.3V capacitor. I measured the circuit and it was 5V so 6.3 is safe rating. There is no harm in going larger capacitance as there is plenty of room. I made a repair tutorial video to help anyone else fix this problem with their Philips DVP642:
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NeeC4kUqmk

-Kent

Comment

I replace 1000uF 10V but not helping after 1 or 2 min the player goes to standby mode.

Any other capacitor I have to replace?

Also noticed that the in power board 5V is drooping to 4 v after and 12v is dropping to 8 v when players enters standby mode.

Looks like this is because of some kind of discharging of some other capacitor?

Any idea which one it is

Comment

There are not many caps on the board - if they are all suscon you might as well change them all except the BIG cap
                                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                          X