Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture squeezed in then died

Hello Everyone at Badcaps,

I'm NormanSaxon86 brand New Badcaps member to this forum I really enjoy educating and sharing information concerning computers and electronics. Retract to the reason for this post my problem with the old Emerson CRT Model No. EN-710 It is described as the "Picture squeezed and died effect" What is described below sounds like symptoms of the incident.

Here is the Quote that pertains to my problem:

Picture squeezed in then died

You were happily playing 'Doom' when the sides of the picture squeezed in two inches or so when the entire monitor went dead - has remained like this since. There is no activity at all from the tube. Has it died? How much time, effort, and expense to fix?
    No, it's not dead, at least it certainly is not the picture tube.

You probably shot the monitor instead of the bad guys!

Is there any indication of light on the screen? Any indication of the horizontal deflection running at all as evidenced by static on the screen?

In any case, there is a problem in the horizontal deflection and you probably have no high voltage as well assuming no light on the screen.

The fact that it squeezed in first indicates that a partial short or other fault may have developed in the horizontal deflection circuits - possibly the deflection yoke or flyback transformer. It could also have been a bad connection letting loose. Once it failed completely, the horizontal output transistor may have bought the farm or blown a fuse.

I heard of and read about on the link below.
    http://www.kellerstudio.de/repairfaq...q.htm#monpsitd

While using the computer for a duration of 15 minutes more or less depending on the temp. the screen squeezed in horizontally a few times and then turns off to a black screen I notice the green led power light turns orange. The monitor feels warm, "heat sensitive". After about 15 minutes I can turn the monitor back on and it is fine for a while till it happens again.

I read that if I turn down my monitor setting it might help. I changed my monitor display settings so it might put less stress on the components, but I hope to fix the problem with the help of all you get people on Badcaps and share the solved problem for others like me. So now I have my brightness just adequate to see all the colors and the resolution display set to 1024 by 768. I am use to a brighter and higher resolution.
    Did I burn out the HOT Horizontal Output Transistor or a Capacitor? I am a computer tech and spend sometime on monitors and educated enough to look for burns or the busted caps and I am learning to use a multi-meter.

Kinds Regards
    NormanSaxon86

Re: Picture squeezed in then died

I have to tell you I have been on this forum for almost a year and can count the number of CRT queries I have noticed on one hand. I dont think any of them were solved. That said, you will need to take the back of your set and give it a good clean.
    Then take Pictures from a few angles but not too close in at the moment.
    Pictures should be JPG max size 2mb and 2000x2000. They should NOT be posted in line please use Manage Attachments which is found by going to GO Advanced which is under the quick reply box.
    With the back off - Great Care CRTs have HIGH voltages in various components you can look for bulging or leaky capacitors and burn marks on anything.
    Look for fuses and check them.

Also make sure the plug is firmly plugged into the back of the CRT Tube.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hello Selldoor thanks for the feedback, I know but as I posted before I feel sometimes little is wrong and people don't take the time to change settings for example.

Yes for sure I have been taken my case back off the monitor and dusted clean. Just looking at it brings back memories of past work I done. Some white glue I did a long time ago to fix some leakage. It is like they make them break fast and if you do not put time into the fix it is trashed. All I did was get some while glue stuff from my Pc guy back and covered and leak.

I am aware that some component like power supply have high voltage. The capacitors have been all fixed and checked ever so often no burn marks ever and the fuses look good. Any trick on how to take them out? The power and display plug are seated firmly.

I was messing with it and found out that the display plug to the Video card if left not fully seated works fine and I have not have it happen again in a few hours. The monitor was going black every 15 mins before.

I now what you mean it is old tech but I feel I can solve the problem. A common problem for the "Picture squeezed in then died" is the screen resolution and brightness might need to be dialed down

Comment

Could be cracked solder joints around the deflection causing the protection to kick in. If this were a HOT (Horizontal Output Transistor) fault, it would be totally dead by now.

Resolder the HOT, all parts connecting to the HOT and the deflection connectors. See if it helps.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

IF you repaired a leaking capacitor by gluing it up I doubt it is working at its best- actually surprised it is working at all.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I think he meant HV leakage (arcing) from the flyback... and yes that can be fixed using silicone.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Th3_uN1Qu3 Quote "Resolder the HOT, all parts connecting to the HOT and the deflection connectors. See if it helps."

I would try to resolder the joints if I knew were. I guess you are right about the HOT my screen would not work.

I have some pictures to see if we can resolve this problem.

Yesterday the screen was working better the screen did not shut off. This morning I got on and after 20 mins the screen was gone.

selldoor It was a silicone glue and I was told to use it on spot that needed it. The top of capacitor and any area were I found arcing.

Thanks for the help and good ideas
              Attached Files

Comment

The HOT is the big transistor in pics 3 and 5 ie crt4.jpg and crt1.jpg. The deflection is the coil mounted on the neck of the tube, follow the wires coming out of it and you'll find its connector.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                  The HOT is the big transistor in pics 3 and 5 ie crt4.jpg and crt1.jpg. The deflection is the coil mounted on the neck of the tube, follow the wires coming out of it and you'll find its connector.

Yes I think I found the deflection it is near the copper coil aka scan coils near the neck of the tube. I understand it is all internal and will try to take it apart. So I can check the connection. I also will be looking for wires for the horizontal deflection.
                  I applied silicon gel to the neck coil area before from what I think was a vacuum leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    Yea I have see the HOT before just thought it might be messed up from the solder being a bit rust liking.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanSaxon86 View Post
                      I applied silicon gel to the neck coil area before from what I think was a vacuum leak.
                      A gassy tube will have very obvious symptoms and they can't be fixed like that... regular sillicone will outgas --- unless you meant using something like Vacseal which is designed for this application.

Comment

That looks almost identical to the Dell E772c that I tried to repair. That monitor had some bad solder joints on its boards, so yours will probably also have bad solder joints. Don't try to disassemble the coil assembly on the neck of the tube because there is almost no chance that the problem is in that assembly. The cable with the red, yellow, and brown wires coming from the coil assembly is most likely the cable connected to the deflection coil. There should be a fourth wire on this cable.

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                        I have to tell you I have been on this forum for almost a year and can count the number of CRT queries I have noticed on one hand. I dont think any of them were solved.
                        Most of those came from me.
                        Last edited by lti; 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

The first picture is where the wires on the side of the board go into a closed box. The solder joints are not visible. They are under sheet metal and I see another board I assume the wires are conected to. The problem is all the copper use seems it might get destroyed if I want to resolder the joints. unless any one has had this problem.

The other end of the wires going to the deflection area to the main board is in picture 2. It is a simple plug looks like it is in good shape.

The 3rd pic is a top view of the wires and deflection.

Crt neck board (Covered by Shield) you can see in my first post has some wires and plugs is this the Neck you were referencing? Th3_uN1Qu3

4th picture is of the back of the crt the neck board.

The last picture is the board on top of the coil it is a bad picture but I wanted to use it to see if this is where I should check for problems.

Thanks for everyone help please more feedback is appreciated.
                          Last edited by NormanSaxon86; 04-01-2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                            A gassy tube will have very obvious symptoms and they can't be fixed like that... regular sillicone will outgas --- unless you meant using something like Vacseal which is designed for this application.
                            On picture CRT 1 you can clearly see a brown silicon seal used on the copper coil I was inquiring on this substance. I am not sure if it was Vacseal sounds, but if I have a vacuum problem I will try Vacseal thanks for your help.

Really the only problem with my CRT is it shuts off after 15 min of use, this is ongoing for a few weeks the screen squeezes horizontally and shuts off. The green led becomes orange and then I need to push the power button in and wait for a cool down before it will be able to display picture. I have found out that the horizontal deflection is the culprits

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                              That looks almost identical to the Dell E772c that I tried to repair. That monitor had some bad solder joints on its boards, so yours will probably also have bad solder joints. Don't try to disassemble the coil assembly on the neck of the tube because there is almost no chance that the problem is in that assembly. The cable with the red, yellow, and brown wires coming from the coil assembly is most likely the cable connected to the deflection coil. There should be a fourth wire on this cable.

Most of those came from me.
                              So
                              It is a Emerson and it looks like a lot of the major guts are Pansonic. So if you Dell has the same parts it will be related. I think that most CRTs are a like and well they were the biggest monitor on the 20th century.

I have been on the look out for bad solder joint mine has all plugs with wires for the main power and stuff. The grounds are soldered and so are the units on the board.
                              I am looking at the wires to see what one feeds information to the horizontal deflection.

Can you show me the wires that you are speaking of in the pictures I posted? I feel I have found them but I also see 3 plugs with similar wires off the main board on other boards.

Kind Regards

Comment

Hello and thanks to everyone here I think I solved the problem. Well I saw a lot of black dust in the monitor and found out it was carbon. I am not sure if carbon was the reason why my screen was turning off but now I have cleaned all the carbon with a lysol.

I have had arc problems so I think the carbon was due to the arc.

Thanks and I will keep you posted

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                                  I was worried that my tube was cracked from the arc problem, I have hear people using different silicone ect to fix it to the vacuum works.

It is common when the hv gets the lobes so how it cracks the tube neck. Like most projection tvs do after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanSaxon86 View Post
                                    Can you show me the wires that you are speaking of in the pictures I posted? I feel I have found them but I also see 3 plugs with similar wires off the main board on other boards.
                                    Look at the second picture here. It is the four-pin connector with the brown, yellow, blue, and red wires next to the flyback.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                      Look at the second picture here. It is the four-pin connector with the brown, yellow, blue, and red wires next to the flyback.
                                      Thanks I checked that plug and it was seated properly, I think I had some arcing due to carbon ( black soot) neat the tube neck and lobe. All wires were solder good a little bit of flux/ rust was showing on some.

Thanks it is still working.

Comment

Good job. Fairy dust can sometimes be trouble as you just found out.

Comment

Working...
                                        X