• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LE40M86BD switching off/on

Thanks, I put that info here also:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...182#post634182
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

So I cleaned the motherboard and baked it for 10 mins. After testing it again it now turns off and stays off rather than turning back on. The motherboard also exhibited more discolouration too, see in this picture:

Looks like its gonna have to be a new board after all. Running out of things to do with this one and if anything with it not turning back on the problems got worse!
      Attached Files

Comment

Just thought I would update to say I fixed the issue by buying a replacement motherboard.

It was a different board number from mine but was for the exact same model and size tv. All I had to do was plug it in and the TV has been working great since.

Thanks everyone for their help getting this sorted.

Comment

Thanks for the update and glad your sets now working and another saved from the landfill can you remember what mainboard you installed as may help other members too if its easier too source.

Comment

Thanks Vince. I linked the board I bought from ebay above, but in case the link doesn't work too well in the future here is the details of the item:

Samsung LE40M86BD ( BN41-00813B-MP1.0) AV Board

The original board in the TV was: BN94-01264b

As Alastair said in his post earlier the board is actually quite common and even if its from a different size tv, you can alter the size in the service menu.

For clarity it was the motherboard/logic board I replaced, not the power board.

Comment

This is becoming a extremely common problem-the issue is caused by the freeview dtv decoder ic needing a reball-and oddly enough it's the only IC under the tin that doesn't get very hot either.A wedge behind the board,near the top,can usually provide a few weeks of happy viewing,until the inevitable happens again.

Comment

Which IC under the heatsink plate is the freeview dtv decoder?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgexander View Post
                  Thanks Vince. I linked the board I bought from ebay above, but in case the link doesn't work too well in the future here is the details of the item:

Samsung LE40M86BD ( BN41-00813B-MP1.0) AV Board

The original board in the TV was: BN94-01264b

As Alastair said in his post earlier the board is actually quite common and even if its from a different size tv, you can alter the size in the service menu.

For clarity it was the motherboard/logic board I replaced, not the power board.
                  Sorry totally missed the link thanks for the details

Comment

it's IC 3101, stI5105a

Comment

To follow on from this there is a setting in the service menu that turns off the freeview which is a bit of bummer but it does stop the TV turning on / off

Comment

Originally posted by noledud View Post
                        To follow on from this there is a setting in the service menu that turns off the freeview which is a bit of bummer but it does stop the TV turning on / off
                        Just came across this thread when searching for a fix for this exact problem. Would like to try this option of turning off the freeview in the service menu first before opening it up. We don't use the freeview on the TV anyway, so worth a try!

I have managed to get into the service menu, but which option do I need to go into to turn it off?

Comment

Just for posterity: If the caps in your le40m86 are okay but it still turns off out of the blue, your DVB-T chip might be overheating. This happened to me even while I haven't used DTV for years. To disable the chip and keep it cool, enter the service menu

Power off -> Info -> Menu -> Mute -> Power on

For navigation use only up and down!

Left/right changes the values or activates an entry (reset, calibration, don't go there unless you know what you're doing).

The DVB-T chip is disabled in sub menu 'Option Table(Service)'. The first option 'Ready' has to be 'ON'.

Exit the service menu with power off. After this TV/DTV should show 'Not Available' and the TV should stay on. Not very intuitive but it worked for me. All the details can be found in a thread on avforums
                          https://www.avforums.com/threads/sam...search.601553/

Comment

Solved: LE40M86BD switching off/on

Originally posted by mlr View Post
                            Just for posterity: If the caps in your le40m86 are okay but it still turns off out of the blue, your DVB-T chip might be overheating. This happened to me even while I haven't used DTV for years. To disable the chip and keep it cool, enter the service menu

Power off -> Info -> Menu -> Mute -> Power on

For navigation use only up and down!

Left/right changes the values or activates an entry (reset, calibration, don't go there unless you know what you're doing).

The DVB-T chip is disabled in sub menu 'Option Table(Service)'. The first option 'Ready' has to be 'ON'.

Exit the service menu with power off. After this TV/DTV should show 'Not Available' and the TV should stay on. Not very intuitive but it worked for me. All the details can be found in a thread on avforums
                            https://www.avforums.com/threads/sam...search.601553/
                            Thank you x1000. This solved the 2nd issue with my Samsung LE40M86BDX TV. The modularity of this TV amazes me.

To be more specific, I had the issue with the capacitors, had them replaced but the TV still clicked after approx. 40 minutes and made a 2nd click approx. 20 seconds after that. Now it works fine.

Comment

Working...
                            X