X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westinghouse LD-4655VX - My First LED

What about this one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWM-20706-10...item414e6f55f8

It's 12 pin and has the same AWM 20706 part number. Doesn't give any more specs but its only $2 with free shipping.

Comment

Its only 235mm in length, too short..

Comment

oops..... i saw 70-80 CM, i was thinking MM

Comment

tbh, its very hard to find ffc/fpc cable couplers. if it was me i'd just take 2 and solder them together. wire 30ga wires or just some solder and caution, it can be done.

it can be messed easily, but it also can be done. honestly u might just want to mess with that one you got first to see what you can do..

Comment

Well I will see if the ebay supplier has a longer length, if not I will attempt a repair. Not looking forward to that though

Comment

I was experiencing the same problem and doing some trial and error noticed I had the same exact issue with the led cable, except mine is the opposing led light that is preventing my tv from powering. I googled the led cable number and was led to this post. Noticed this post is not that old and TV has been out of commission for about 2 weeks. I had the tv just over a year (right outside the warranty). Seems like this model suffers from crappy led assembly. Going to remove my panel and see if the ribbon is the culprit like yours. Weird because my tv never fell at all, it was left on sleep mode and never turned back on.

Comment

Originally posted by braveally View Post
                I was experiencing the same problem and doing some trial and error noticed I had the same exact issue with the led cable, except mine is the opposing led light that is preventing my tv from powering. I googled the led cable number and was led to this post. Noticed this post is not that old and TV has been out of commission for about 2 weeks. I had the tv just over a year (right outside the warranty). Seems like this model suffers from crappy led assembly. Going to remove my panel and see if the ribbon is the culprit like yours. Weird because my tv never fell at all, it was left on sleep mode and never turned back on.
                same exact problem here! facing the back of tv with the panel off, when I unplug the left lcd ribbon from he main board my tv powers on and works great aside from half the screen being dim. when that ribbon is plugged in, i cant get any power and i hear a slight chirping noise coming from the main board, right where the dc plug is. From what I can tell, the ribbon is not damaged, however, it may be burned out inside.

i have also had issues in the past with lcd tv's that would not power on because one or two of the back light fluorescent bulbs was burned out but once replaced, were fine. im going to take the panel apart and see if one of the edge lit bulbs is fried and possibly replace it. I would assume that this would fix the problem. I'll keep you posted

Comment

Wow, how funny. Let me know what you turn up with. I couldn't identify exactly what was wrong. The ribbon looked a bit chewed but its weird that it would just stop working. Just not sure if its the light, ribbon, or something on the board. I didn't see any signs of busted capacitors though.
                  Don't think I got in deep enough to get a good look at the lighting assembly. Please take pictures if you do inspect them so I know what to expect when I get around to it. At this point I have just got it back up and working, my wife doesn't care much about the dim spot, picture is still damn good.

Comment

ok so I got it all figured out. sorry for the delay, I set this thing to the side for a bit while I worked on some other stuff. So, the good news is, I fixed it and did not have to buy any parts. Bad news, I have never had to strip down a tv to this extent in order to make such an easy repair! I had to take this thing apart to bare bones. Front panel has to be completely taken apart until your left starring at a sheet of flat metal. Its ridiculous. So to make a long story short (see the pics at the bottom, and sorry for the poor quality...) the ribbon that plugs into the LED strip for some reason just wasnt getting a good connection. I simply unplugged it, stretched it out a little and plugged it back in, making sure it was solid and then turned it on. Bam. The previously failed LED strip came on bright as day. Now I'm getting ready to put it all back together. I hope this works for you. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, the ribbon did seem to be kind of chewed up which is strange but we'll just chalk that up to poor craftsmanship on the part of the fine people of Westinghouse Let me know what happens on your end and let me know if you have questions. Good luck!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for doing this and the shots are of decent enough quality. I will attempt to repeat this when I get some extra time. Maybe over this 3 day weekend. Glad you got it fixed, hope the same works for me.

Comment

So theres only two led strips on the bottom of the panel?

Comment

yep, there are two, one on the left and one on the right that run right underneath the panel

Comment

quick udate, i just ordered a new ribbon cable. I ran the tv all day, then put it all back together and it went out again. Same cable. I should have left it taken apart!! Oh well, a ribbon in good shape should take care of it

Comment

Can you share where you ordered the ribbon from. Am I to understand the old cable crapped out again?

Comment

Originally posted by braveally View Post
                                Can you share where you ordered the ribbon from. Am I to understand the old cable crapped out again?
                                It took a little bit of work to find the ribbon cable. I messaged a few sellers on eBay that were selling parts for that model LED TV and asked them if they had any of the ribbon cables. I got lucky and one said yes. Cost me 25 bucks, which I let them know I thought was a rip off but really I had no other option. Other than that I could not find any of those ribbons just being sold. I think what happened was that once the bad end of the ribbon got warm, the metallic threads started to separate. Not real sure but its the only thing I can think happened with the ribbon cable.

Comment

Cool, I shall do the same. I'm on vacation and just took the tv apart, did my best to realign the cable and it all works now. I'm expecting your same result but will try anyway since I have the time to tinker around. Thanks for pioneering this step for me yo. I will post my results after 24 hours. Big ups to you responding so fast after my post.

Comment

no problem,hope it works out for you!

Comment

Any idea who makes the panels for these TVs?
                                      Maybe a solution is to use individual wire.

The cable is known as an FFC, flat flex cable. It is possible to order it from some suppliers.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

not sure, as the there is no manufacturer sticker or logo on the panel that I could find. I've heard the westinghouse makes their own panels but I'm not sure if they do or not. I did try to look for some standard FFC ribbon but could not find the right match anywhere.

Comment

Here's ribbon I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWM-20798-WF...#ht_1109wt_920

I had other problems, the locking tab in the lower left corner where the ribbon attached to the LED's broke, and I had to rig it so it would stay put.

Also the original cable routed inside the panel and then back out the bottom. I chose to go directly from the main board to the corner on the backside.. Don't think it would have been long enough the other way..

Comment

Working...
                                          X