Philips 42PFL5432D/37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 42PFL5432D/37

1) Yes, when the tv went out, I left it as is and re-tested and got nothing.
    2) The power light is still lit, but not the usual green, it's red or amber color when it
    kicks off.
    3) Will go take a picture of the main board, brb.

Comment

We have a WINNER...........or guess that should be LOOOOZER. Here are the pics and even I can see the two bad caps. Both are bulging at the top and have black crusty stuff coming out. The info for them is as follows:
      capXon 1000uF25v
      L2 105
      P724
      Vent
      Measurements are approx. 22mm x 10 mm
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PoteauPets View Post
        capXon 1000uF25v
        L2 105
        P724
        Vent
        Measurements are approx. 22mm x 10 mm
        Capxon doesn't make very reliable caps. BTW, that is LZ series. LZ is their ultra low ESR series.

P724 indicates it was made in 2007 week 24. So the caps lasted 4.5 years in a non stressful environment. The caps on the power board undergo more stress.

For replacements use Panasonic FR caps (91 cents each) at digikey. Shipping from digikey is about $2.75 USD and you get the parts in 48 hours or so.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...25v+fr&stock=1

The FR cap is 10x20mm so it will fit nicely.

Now, normally because Capxon has such a poor reputation for reliability, we normally recommend replacing them ALL on sight, but since you are new to soldering, you may cause more damage until you have more experience.

A couple of soldering tutorials.

1) The written one here is very good.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485

2) Great soldering video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-03-2012, 12:21 AM.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Is there anything else I should order, so as to have everything I need all at once? Should I get an extra cap for just in case? What about soldering supplies ?
          Last edited by PoteauPets; 01-03-2012, 01:26 AM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

Should I get an extra cap for just in case? What about soldering supplies ?
            1) If you are new to soldering, maybe you should get one extra cap just in case.

2) I looked at digikey's soldering irons and their cheapest one is a Weller at $41. It is a quality iron and a fair price, but that is too much money just to fix 2 caps.

3) If you live close to Radio Shack and/or Frys, you can get the solder iron and 60/40 solder from them for probably under $12, but do NOT get caps at Radio Shack/Frys. They only sell general purpose caps and you require low ESR caps like the Panasonic FR.

4) Radio Shack 40W iron

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062738

Add solder

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062719

5) Frys 30W iron

http://www.frys.com/product/2258018

Add solder

http://www.frys.com/product/4455316

6) Ebay is another option for a 40W iron and solder for under $8. See

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250906741926

I can't vouch for the seller, but the seller is based in the USA so it won't take long to arrive?
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-03-2012, 02:32 AM.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1) Here is what I have for a Soldering Iron. Is this acceptable or do I need a better one with higher wattage. This one says it's 25 watts.
              I can drive to radio shack, which is about 30 mins. away if I need a better one. I'm so excited that we found the problem and even more excited to fix it.
              I want to get the caps ordered today but am trying to decide if I should add a few of the other ones even though they are not bad (yet)

2) I also have nearly the same exact tv in my bedroom, but it's 6 months newer and only a 37" Philips. Wonder how I can find out what caps it takes without taking it apart too?
              You have been soo much help, I can't thank you enough. Hopefully, I will have the caps by Friday and the tv up and running this weekend. I watched the soldering tutorial and downloaded the soldering guide. I can't wait to get started !!! I will practice first though.......
              Attached Files

Comment

1) Is this acceptable or do I need a better one with higher wattage. This one says it's 25 watts.
                I have a 30W and 40W "sort by lowest price" ebay soldering iron. I used the 30W initially, but the heating element died. It worked for power boards since most of them are single layer.

I think most logic/main boards are multilayer so you may have some difficulty. I think your board is also using lead free solder which makes it more tough.

The tip of your iron looks oxidized. If you can get it shiny clean like in the soldering video, then it might suffice.

I usually add a bit of 60/40 solder onto the existing joints to help with thermal transfer and then wiggle the caps out. I used to use a desolder pump, but now switched to the stainless steel needle to clear out the holes.

I can drive to radio shack, which is about 30 mins. away if I need a better one.
                If your existing iron doesn't work, take it to Radio Shack and see if you can buy a compatible tip. Get a 2mm chisel tip. It will have better thermal transfer.

I want to get the caps ordered today but am trying to decide if I should add a few of the other ones even though they are not bad (yet)
                Shipping from digikey is reasonable for USA customers at $2.75 with USPS 1st class. We get charged $8 USD to ship to Canada.

ALL caps eventually fail. Capxon just fails quicker than most good quality brands like Rubycon, Nichicon, Panasonic, and United Chemi-con. The Panasonic FRs are used by many members here and are good quality low ESR caps.

2) I also have nearly the same exact tv in my bedroom, but it's 6 months newer and only a 37" Philips. Wonder how I can find out what caps it takes without taking it apart too?
                You can try searching here for the same model number. Some people may have posted a caps list.

I will practice first though.......
                Good idea.
                Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm so excited that we found the problem and even more excited to fix it.
                  Pretty soon you will be looking at craigslist ads for non working TVs and spending all your free time here!
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    Pretty soon you will be looking at craigslist ads for non working TVs and spending all your free time here!
                    I second that, i've fallen into the trap already

Comment

Hehehehehhehe...........

I think I'm gonna drive over to Radio Shack tomorrow and get the iron that you suggested along with the correct solder since I don't even know what kind of solder I have.

BTW, I am a true entreprenuer. I started a Pet Store nearly 16 yrs ago, and it's still going strong. Although, since my back surgery, my husband takes care of the daily operations while I stay home and learn a new trade from you guys.........rofl

Comment

along with the correct solder since I don't even know what kind of solder I have.
                        1) You likely have 60/40 solder since you are in the USA. I don't know for sure, but I think in some countries you can't buy 60/40 solder (illegal).

2) You might has well get the solder since you are making the trip to Radio Shack. Phone ahead and ask them to set it aside for you. I hate making a 1 hour round trip only to find out it is out of stock.

Do not buy the lead free solder. Yes I care about the enviroment, but there are many problems with lead free solder and reliability over the long term.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I already called and checked availability and had him set them aside for me. They are open till 9:00 so I am thinking about going over there this evening.

It just kills me to think of all the electronics that we have thrown out over the years with the same problems.

Comment

It just kills me to think of all the electronics that we have thrown out over the years with the same problems.
                            Part of the reason for the above I think are:

1) Electronics gets cheaper and cheaper every year making repairing a less economically viable option.

2) People are brainwashed into thinking newer is better (see iphone/ipad/ipod generation).

3) Some, not all, TV "repair" shops simply swap entire boards and don't even do component level repair. For that, they buy an OEM board which costs $$$ and charge you $100/hour for the service. Quite often, I have seen people here say that the repair costs exceeds the price of a new TV.

4) Some electronics are impossible to DIY repair. Try soldering in a 200 pin IC at home. Try working on cell phone boards where you need 30x magnification just to see the component.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I already called and checked availability and had him set them aside for me.
                              Check the part numbers carefully before purchasing. Radio Shack sells more than one iron and solder.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Went to Radio Shack and got the iron and the solder that you had linked to me. Checked to be sure they were the right part number(s) also. They didn't have any extra tips though. He said they have to be ordered from their online store. So, now I wait anxiously for my caps to arrive.............lol
                                Yes, electronics do get cheaper each year but some things are still a little too high to just run out and replace. I think my cut-off point is just about at a 42" flat screen price...heheheh
                                Funny thing is......Right before I found this site and learned about "bad caps" I had searched online for prices for new flat screens (above 50") and then compared that to the estimated cost to fix my tv's unknown problem. I thought, if I'm gonna have to pay $200.00 or up to fix it, I might as well get a new "larger" one instead.
                                So, if all goes well, when my caps arrive, I will replace the 3 capXon LZ's and my tv will be rocking again for under $20.00......woo-hoo

Comment

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have the same model TV. Recently, it had no picture and no sound. I checked the power to both inverters, measured 24V DC. Visually, I didn't see any sign of caps burned or deformed. When power on, the blue light in front stays on for 1 minute, then goes off. What else should I check? Thanks for help!

Comment

Originally posted by backoi View Post
                                    What else should I check?
                                    Post clear focused top down pictures of YOUR boards using manage attachments and NOT inline. See my sig file in this thread for exact instructions and size guidelines.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi, I would start by going up to the beginning (the 1st page) of my posts and see how Retiredcaps has walked me thru everything step by step. It will help you to see what to check and what to look for until you find the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                        Post clear focused top down pictures of YOUR boards using manage attachments and NOT inline. See my sig file in this thread for exact instructions and size guidelines.
                                        Hi, I attach the pictures of power board, main board and inverter boards. Please let me know if any picture needs to be retaken for clarity. Thanks!
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by backoi View Post
                                          Recently, it had no picture and no sound.

When power on, the blue light in front stays on for 1 minute, then goes off.
                                          1) Do you have a source hooked up like a DVD player to see if there is a picture and sound?

2) Does the power always go off after 1 minute?

a) If you turn off the TV and turn it back on, does it stay on 1 minute and go off again?

3) Can we get a picture of the entire TV backside so all the boards are in view? We want to see the relationship and cabling between boards.

4) PS. Sharp eyed readers and future people will notice this is why we always INSIST on photos on your own TV. The boards are completely different even though backoi says the models are the same in post #36.
                                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-05-2012, 03:56 AM.
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X