The 2014~2015 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2014~2015 Operating System Thread

it needs updating for fools testing win10 - beta spyware edition.
    and maybe FreeDOS

Comment

I have 2desktops with xp and a laptop with xp also I have desktop with win 7 and laptop with win7

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        ^
        thanks for the bump...... that way more will participate!
        No probs
        I figured we got way more discussion last year.
        I'm surprised more people put votes for Windows (H)8 than than for XP.

Comment

vSphere (I know, it isn't really...)

Smoothwall

Windows 2008
          Windows 7
          Windows 8.1
          XP
          98Lite

Debian
          Tiny Core Linux
          Damn Small Linux

FreeBSD 9.3

OS X 10.6.8

------------------------

They all have their uses, some more than others. Not counting VMs as actual OSs, otherwise the list would be quite longer.

Comment

Windows 8.1 0n My DELL Inspiron i3847-4616BK Tower Desktop
            Intel Gen 4 i5/8GB/1TB

Comment

Picked other as I'm using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x86 on my desktop with MS-Dos as dual boot for quick recovery purposes. My laptop runs Win98se however with the Kernel Patch (KernelEx), Skinning Engine (Revolutions Pack), and unofficial ServicePack 3 installed however. My WRT54g-TM Router is running DD-Wrt with bash and the ilk installed which works nice for my 24/7 webserver via lighttpd.

Seems TC and myself have the nice idea of using a Windows Server OS for regular desktop use.
              Last edited by chozo4; 10-28-2014, 10:51 PM.
              Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

Originally posted by chozo4 View Post
                Seems TC and myself have the nice idea of using a Windows Server OS for regular desktop use.
                S2K3 doesnt go EoL until next july iirc, so you're good for a while. Wait till you get your hands on S2K8 and carve it into a workstation OS, you'll love it. S2K8 R1 has 32 bit support if thats what you need. R2 is 64 bit only.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  S2K3 doesnt go EoL until next july iirc, so you're good for a while. Wait till you get your hands on S2K8 and carve it into a workstation OS, you'll love it. S2K8 R1 has 32 bit support if thats what you need. R2 is 64 bit only.
                  Lack of support doesn't ever phase me as my desktop used to run Win98 till '06 or so but changed to xp/s2k3 due to lack of GPU support. I continue to use an OS until it no longer fits my needs even if that does mean 10 years after EoL.

The only reason I haven't changed to the newer server versions is mainly the interface. Cannot disable 'always on top' with the taskbar which is needed in many cases due to a custom desktop solution and cannot remove the address bar garbage from the explorer windows. I tend to prefer them barren with just the file menu's and status bar only. Silly reasons I know but it's one of those things that drive me up the wall in more ways than one.

As for 32bit support - the WOW64 support layer is still available in S2k8R2 but is instead an optional component.
                  Last edited by chozo4; 10-30-2014, 04:31 PM.
                  Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate on ALL of my desktops and laptops. OpenBSD on my firewall

Comment

Saw this today:
                      https://www.yahoo.com/tech/friday-th...351739909.html
                      Yeah, I know it's a Yahoo! story (who trusts those? lol ), but according to it, computer manufacturers will no longer be able to buy Windows 7.

I guess Micro$haft really is trying to force that Windows 8 crap down everyone's throat.
                      On the plus side, all of you who work in repair shops will likely get a new influx of customers bringing their laptop or PC for a Windows 7 upgrade .

Comment

^ Surreal but true: Windows 8 or nowt: Consumer Win 7 fans are OUT OF LUCK

Killing your most liked and best selling product in favour of the most hated piece of crap ever released is a revolutionary business strategy that can only lead to a humongous success.

Comment

The Big brands like HP and Dell already stopped selling new PCs with Windows 7 Home Premium pretty much as soon as Windows Hate came out. With that said, though, at work we still do. It just means that we'll have to use windows 7 Pro if the customer doesn't want Windows Hate.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

windows late is now obsolete.

it's late-point-one for now,
                            and they are rushing the beta's of 10 right now.
                            (yes, they skipped 9 - wanted 10 to seem like more than an upgrade of 8 i suppose)

Comment

I like FreeBSD for a lot of things (including this desktop I'm using now).
                              I use Linux when it is easier to make it work well than BSD (e.g. Elastix PBX and Zoneminder video surveillance).
                              Most users here use the Windows 7 boxes I set up for them.
                              My wife insists on Apple OS/X and IOS (schoolteacher who uses that stuff at work).

Still Windows 8.x free!

Comment

I don't care, I'll still be using XP even when Windows 12 comes out.

Comment

that's optimistic, they may not last till 12.

windows-fone - fail
                                  zune player - fail
                                  "surface" tablet - not exactly i-pad/android sales numbers.
                                  xbox-one - failing against ps4 heavily

windows - how much does this really make?
                                  dont tell me the retail price, what's the bulk price for people like dell or hp?

and then there is office, they wont sell that anymore - nobody wants an online "cloud" linked 12month leasing version.

most of ms's real income comes from server-edition licenses to big corps - and i suspect those wont last.
                                  i know an admin at a very big financial group, he told me several years ago that they ran server on a vmware hypervisor so it didnt know how many cpu's they had.
                                  it was saving them a *very* large amount of license money doing this.
                                  Last edited by stj; 11-06-2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    that's optimistic, they may not last till 12.

windows-fone - fail
                                    zune player - fail
                                    "surface" tablet - not exactly i-pad/android sales numbers.
                                    xbox-one - failing against ps4 heavily

windows - how much does this really make?
                                    dont tell me the retail price, what's the bulk price for people like dell or hp?

and then there is office, they wont sell that anymore - nobody wants an online "cloud" linked 12month leasing version.

most of ms's real income comes from server-edition licenses to big corps - and i suspect those wont last.
                                    i know an admin at a very big financial group, he told me several years ago that they ran server on a vmware hypervisor so it didnt know how many cpu's they had.
                                    it was saving them a *very* large amount of license money doing this.
                                    And weird enough,the original Xbox brick was the best they could make.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I think this old article by a well-known author about operating system choices is still relevant: In the Beginning was the Command Line

Comment

come on where is windows 10

its bad to say i have a notebook every os possible except win2000?

even win98 on a panasonic toughbook CF

one thing i did not got is a a chromebook and i`m working on that Chromium OS
                                        Last edited by dj_ricoh; 11-09-2014, 09:04 AM.
                                        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Windows 7 on all the everyday use computers, Windows Me on my old games rig.

Windows 8 has some good points, but it's a pain to use unless you know the all the keyboard shortcuts.

I'm looking forward to Windows 10, but I hope they won't drop Windows 7 support too soon. I can't find any real flaws with 7, it runs well on everything I've installed it on so far. It's stable, light, very flexible (I used one installation of 7 on three very different machines and it boot like it was nothing). The BSODs I've seen with 7 are only hardware related.
                                          I've never really liked Windows XP, I used it from 2003 to january 2010, switching to 7 was like a breathe of fresh air.
                                          Last edited by SuperDuty; 11-10-2014, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X