Hannspree HF257 screen going black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hannspree HF257 screen going black

Just recently started having problems with my Hannspree HF257 monitor. It will do a slight flickering and turn off after just a few seconds. At first it would happen over an amount of time but now it won't stay on any longer than a few seconds. I managed to turn the brightness down to around 30 but it's dim but also is on (on it now). Now I have seen that people can fix them but I'm guessing it requires some kind of electrical work and knowledge with soldering and that kind of thing whicch I don't know anything about. My blue light stays on as if the monitor is on when it's black also. Is the monitor worth having someone fix it or should I go for new? I'm kind of wanting a bigger one but at the same time don't want to spend the cash to get one if this can be fixed cheaply. Any recommendations?

Re: Hannspree HF257 screen going black

That sounds like it could possibly be a capacitor issue. There's some good qualified techs out here that could help you locate the problem. Capacitors are not that expensive at all. If you have a friend that is handy and can solder, and check some voltages with a multimeter, we can help you. I can fix most monitors for about 5 to 10 dollars as long as its not new bulbs (CCFL's).
    We need you or a friend to open it up and send pictures of the front and back of the PSU. And the main (logic) board. Use the manage attachments feature to upload pics.
    If worse comes to worse, and you decide or cannot open it or get a friend to help. You can always sell it on eBay. I buy broken LCD monitors on eBay all the time.
    If you can open it up and upload some pics we can get started. ~L-J-7~

Comment

I may be able to do that. I don't know anyone with a soldering gun or the know how to do this kind of thing. I have also read that this type of monitor is tricky to open up and you could mess it up trying to do so. Not sure about it though. I figure if I don't know anyone to fix it and don't want to chance it myself, I may just get a new one (bigger ) and sell this one since it technically does work and with a small fix can be just like new.

Comment

I actually had it down to 20. It just started to flicker the brightness all the way up and turned off on me again. I managed to get it down to 0 and seems steady again but I'm definitely looking into another monitor now. Looking at a nice 27" led that'll make me happy

Comment

I finally got my new monitor so I'm now willing to open the old one up and see what's what. From what I have seen so far, most looks good. I took two pics, one of each board that was in it.

None of the capacitors looks bulged or have any kind of marks on them. I don't see any kind of bulbs in the whole thing unless I didn't know where to look. I went all the way into the screen. There was three thin sheets on the screen behind the black front sheet. Took those out and then was just a thick either glass or plastic piece and I didn't see much else. Not sure where to go from here.
          Last edited by clancaster23; 12-28-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

OK, a couple things. Notice I said to use the manage attachments for the pictures. Linking them to outside sources only slows the loading of the page. They really don't like that here at all. Anyways, you didn't need to take apart the lcd screen. Just needed the power board and the main board to start with. Retiredcaps has a great diagnostic procedure for your problem. Just follow it step by step and you should be able to find the problem. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419 Start with post #19. Good luck. ~L-J-7~

Comment

Working...
            X