Best Buget ESR Meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Buget ESR Meter?

I'm an amateur. All I need is an inexpensive tool to test if the capacitors I have are faulty. Would this tool (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Capacitor-ES...item3cd5c5e22b) work? It doesn't say that it comes with test leads. Would I need to solder some to the PCB?

The capacitors I am testing are 2200microF, 25V and 1500microF, 16V. What size resistor should I use to discharge them before I test them?

Attached Files

Re: Best Buget ESR Meter?

Originally posted by FlyingHigh85 View Post
    It doesn't say that it comes with test leads. Would I need to solder some to the PCB?
    How about making a phone call to Missouri, United States?
    This is mostly a DIY transistor tester.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
      How about making a phone call to Missouri, United States?
      This is mostly a DIY transistor tester.
      Using what phone number? I couldn't find one. Could you? Their "Contact Us" section listed no contact information; no phone number, no email address, no outside website, no physical address. I sent them a message through Ebay, though. If I get a reply, it will probably be from a representative who knows less about the item than I do. That's why I posted my question here: to get the opinion of someone who knows what they're talking about.

If this tool will not suit my needs (checking for a faulty capacitor), could someone point me in the direction of a relatively inexpensive tool that will? How about this tool, a 20USD capacitance meter?

Comment

You better learn from your beginning to walk away from no-name or undocumented solutions.

Replacing faulty capacitors is a job, and all gadget tools are imperfect for making correctly such measurements.

Therefore I have no suggestions for you until the time that you will make the right question for something reliable starting at 250$ that is the entry level price point.

Comment

I have an Anatek Blue ESR meter. I feel it is adequate for most repair purposes, but is not as accurate as a real LCR meter. I bought mine as a kit from a vendor on ebay.

I have heard that some users are also finding the MESR-100 to be adequate, but I have no personal experience with it (seek out reviews and make up your own mind).

I also recently acquired a DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter, and it is a much more accurate piece of gear. There may be situations where this meter doesn't work well in circuit (e.g. near germanium or some Schottky diodes).
          Last edited by Uniballer; 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

What can the 20USD Honeytek capacitance meter I mentioned in my second post be used for and why won't it fit my needs?

Comment

It appears to measure capacitance. It does not measure ESR. ESR is often more useful than capacitance for diagnosing bad capacitors. Many circuits will not work if the capacitors develop high ESR, even if the capacitance does not change (or not very much). And this is a pretty common failure mode for aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

I have no idea what your needs are, but I know it won't fit my needs. If you think it will suit your needs and you want it, then get it.
              Last edited by Uniballer; 12-17-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

This is my ESR meter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4x8RQeLug

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingHigh85 View Post
                  I'm an amateur. All I need is an inexpensive tool to test if the capacitors I have are faulty. Would this tool (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Capacitor-ES...item3cd5c5e22b) work? It doesn't say that it comes with test leads. Would I need to solder some to the PCB?
                  I have that exact meter and although it may not be accurate, it will definitely work to determine a bad cap. Contrary to many on this site, I use capacitors from defective motherboards and power supplies to fix other motherboards and power supplies. I use this meter to test the used capacitors before I put them on the boards. I don't care for exact measurements, just whether it is good or bad. This meter does fine for that.
                  This meter does not come with leads so yes you would have to solder some on to it. I use it with the socket that it comes with since I have the capacitor already off the board. This unit is very good at identifying components such as pnp, npn transistors, or diodes.

Comment

Working...
                  X