Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sold a bad motherboard

Hi all,

This is my first post- I have visited the badcaps.net site before, but never had a problem until now. I bought a used board from craigslist (first purchase from there too and I had always stayed away because of the fear of getting ripped off).....anyways. During my attempts at overclocking, the system eventually got very unstable even after going to normal settings.

It would fail at many things including cloning my hard drive to a back up drive. Now it does not boot into W7 and restarts while loading the O/S, freezes during BIOS check, during memory checks, and so on.

It reboots during the O/S or randomly as it tries to boot....... I've ruled out the HD, RAM, PSU--- it's just the motherboard now (at least until I check each RAM stick individually with Memtest).

How can I tell if a chip is fried or if a capacitor problem exists?

Re: sold a bad motherboard

if a chip were fried, it would be dead as a hammer.....it wouldn't even post. Sounds like caps to me. What board is it, and lets see some pics.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

MOBO: Asus P5E3- Deluxe

I just reset the CMOS and it boots fine right now- I will likely be removing the board tonight, but I don't have a digital camera (I'm a tinkerer and I broke it when I opened it a few weeks ago).

When I did have it out I did give the caps a brief look and it all seemed okay. This system has likely been abused because the settings in the BIOS were pretty extreme (not sure if that would contribute to capacitor failure).

One thing that did stand out was that the capacitor by the RAM and near the southbridge heatpipe was bent.....not as in uneven, but the capacitor leads looked like they were yanked out and the capacitor was sideways rather than vertical. Looks like a manufacturing defect since the pictures I've seen of this board all show that capacitor straight up.

Please, let me know what you think.....

Comment

Probably just rough handling or being bumped around during building the system. doubt it was like that from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          Probably just rough handling or being bumped around during building the system. doubt it was like that from the factory.
          It just crashed again---- time to take it apart.............I'm sooooo angry that I got ripped off like this, there is no recourse against people like this and I took his word that everything was functioning perfectly.

Comment

Also, the capacitors are all covered on top so I can't tell if there is any bulging......computer is being taken apart right now.

Comment

What brand are they?
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

no markings to indicate brand-

The caps are all silver covered with a colored marking on the left side. The biggest ones have a blue mark, the others all have red on the left.....there are a few very small ones that have a purple marking.

Comment

Sounds like polymers. They shouldn't need replacing.

Found a pic via Google. Looks like this? They're all polymers and are most likely okay. The problem lies elsewhere.

Toast

[EDIT]
                  Check out this thread on Xtreme Systems:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...unds-BIOS-info

First thing that strikes me is make sure the RAM is correct type (DDR3) and seated fully.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Toasty; 10-17-2011, 12:15 AM.
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

yeppers-

I'm confused now as to what the issues could be-

Comment

Well, I just installed the semi-new 1050W Corsair PSU into my old PC and I'm having trouble with it....could just be the new hardware (hard drives, video card, dvd drive and such) but I will be baffled if it is the PSU because it's supposed to be one of the highest quality units out there.

.......PSU would be the only other component that could cause errors like this so I'll have to see if I can get it to randomly restart.

Comment

Well, it's definitely the mobo in one place or another- the power supply is holding up fine.

I have not yet checked the RAM extensively, but I did run the W7 diagnostics on it, and I ran Memtest on it---- both checked out fine, although I hear that memtest should be run with 1 stick at a time for more accurate results.

I think it's the motherboard, but I will follow any suggestions given.

Comment

pic of the capacitor in question-

Comment

I would say replace it. You pull one of the leads of the foil on the inside of a cap or damage the bung and your asking for problems. And considering the angle at which the cap has been bent, I would say there is a good chance it has been damaged.

Comment

I might just try, but I have to say that there is a hesitation- The owner of the site and the business is 1 state away. I'd like him to do the work, or at least to provide the parts and knowledge.

I'm in Chicago btw- I tried to edit my profile with the user CP, but I did not have sufficient privileges.

I want to be able to do this myself, but there are times when the handy-man has to outsource- Any advice or suggested purchases for an inexperienced solderer?

Comment

25 big red ones (6.3v /561 above the voltage 7x2k above that)
                                18 smaller red ones (16v /101 above the voltage 7x1e above that)
                                4 blue ones (16v /270 above the voltage c 701)
                                6 purple ones (10v - looks like but they are too small to differentiate between 10 and 16 ea432? above)

Comment

The more that I think about it, the more I'm sure I need to replace it.

Where can I find a replacement capacitor? I would like at minimum to have the same quality......I hope my soldering iron can do it- I tried to remove capacitors from an old xbox 360 board I had from a failed box, but it just wouldn't get hot enough to remove the cap.

Comment

the cap in question is a 16v 100uF Poly. Topcat, unfortunately doesn't have them (although he may be able to order them). Maybe you could send him a PM if he doesn't chime in.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

that cap is damaged.might be the problem.

Comment

The seal is compromised on that cap... Also, stay away from Asus boards of that generation. They're for sale by the boatload as-is and broken.
                                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                        X