Packard Bell Viseo 200WS, weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packard Bell Viseo 200WS, weird problem

I have the stated monitor. It is a 20", TFT LCD display, with 1600x900 resolution at 60 Hz. When I switch it on, the power light comes on, but usually (80% of the time) there is no picture from the desktop computer, just a blank screen. If I wait anywhere from 1 to 45 minutes, the picture may suddenly appear and I can log in as normal. Once the picture appears, everything works as normal and I can use the computer for hours without a problem. Once the monitor is turned off, the same problem usually follows when I try to turn it on again.

As a test, I turned the monitor off when I was watching a movie. When I turned the monitor on again I got the blank screen, but the sound was intermittent, repeatedly coming on for a short 1 second burst before turning off again (the speakers are part of the monitor). It seems as if this problem revolves around some power connector flickering back and forth, although it's strange that when it starts working properly, there is never a problem.

I have tried updating the graphics (Geforce 9200) and monitor drivers, but this seems to be a hardware issue. I will try switching the power and monitor<-->desktop cables for the ones on my Dad's comp. This thread may be relevant: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19490 but the guy with the problem was obviously an expert, so it didn't help me much. Any ideas, on the problem and how I can fix it?

Re: Packard Bell Viseo 200WS, weird problem

Open up the display carefully and post pictures of the internal boards, that's a start. Use the "attachments" on the reply windows.

Comment

It does sound like a potential bad caps problem there, especially the intermittent sound and warm-up time.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Classic Badcaps on the PSU.

Comment

I wouldn't know how to fix a "bad caps" problem, but thanks for the answers guys. Rather than get a new monitor I hooked up a spare TV via the VGA port, and it works alright. There is a little problem with overscan which I can't seem to correct with my Nvidia Geforce 9200 menu. All I could do is reposition the image; I couldn't zoom out to make it smaller. Also the resolution is only 1360x768 which sucks a bit... would have preferred at least 1600.
          Last edited by eratoxeno; 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eratoxeno View Post
            I wouldn't know how to fix a "bad caps" problem, but thanks for the answers guys. Rather than get a new monitor I hooked up a spare TV via the VGA port, and it works alright. There is a little problem with overscan which I can't seem to correct with my Nvidia Geforce 9200 menu. All I could do is reposition the image; I couldn't zoom out to make it smaller. Also the resolution is only 1360x768 which sucks a bit... would have preferred at least 1600.
            Bad caps are really easy to fix... even if you have never soldered in your life.

You can fix your monitor for under $20 even if you have no equipment.

Save something from landfill. It is such a rewarding thing to bring something back to life from essentially being useless.

re- Overscan, check if your TV has a "Just Scan" mode (that's what Samsung calls it, not sure about other TVs.)

You probably have a 720p TV. If you had a 1080p TV, you would have 1920x1080. I use a 1080p 24" monitor. It's awesome. (It also cost me nothing, as I got it faulty from my work place, and fixed it.)
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yea, I'm noticing some games are having trouble with the lack of resolution options. Assuming I can take the back off my monitor, how would I go about fixing this problem?

Comment

You should remove the back panel and take some clear photos of the power supply. The capacitors are the little black things with the silver caps, and a vent stamped into them, like these:
                http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Se...capacitors.jpg

Note down the capacitance and voltage rating of each capacitor. If they are failed, they usually bulge - which means the vent stamp on the top of them is not flat. The left caps are badly failed. Most aren't as bad as those, they usually just bulge a little. The right caps are good.

Once you have the caps list we will help you order them with Digikey, a very large online vendor. Total cost for a typical monitor, under $10 including shipping. Do NOT buy caps from RadioShack or similar retail stores as they are rarely low ESR and high reliability which is what your monitor needs.

You will need a soldering iron. You can buy a $5 one on ebay, or borrow one from a friend. You will also need a small amount of solder which will cost very little on eBay as well, Radioshack sells it too for outrageous prices I hear but you only need a small amount.

Removing caps is easily done, just heat each leg with the iron alternately, wiggle the cap slowly and it will come out. Place your new cap in, apply solder to the lead and then touch the iron against it, the solder will flow. Repeat for the 5 or 10 caps on a typical monitor power supply.
                Last edited by tom66; 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, but it was a highly unsuccessful nightmare to even get close to the capacitors. It took me half an hour to prize apart the plastic clips holding on the front panel. However the front panel was wired into a circuit board so I couldn't get it off completely (for the power light I guess). The screen underneath was also wired to the circuit boards, but I could unscrew it and get a glimpse underneath. I know what you're going to say "those wires should unclip"... well I know they usually do, but they didn't with mine, they were jammed in too tight to pull out the white connectors. Finally I could see the circuit boards, but they were facing downwards so all I could see was the solder and not the components! I tried to unscrew them to turn them over but one of them had screws that were so tight the metal on them gave way before turning, and the other had a hidden screw going to the VGA port so I had no hope of getting at that.

I think they make these things so you have to send it off to the professionals at Packard Bell who will charge more than it costs to get a new monitor. I think I'll have to give up on this.

Comment

Originally posted by eratoxeno View Post
                    Thanks for the advice, but it was a highly unsuccessful nightmare to even get close to the capacitors. It took me half an hour to prize apart the plastic clips holding on the front panel. However the front panel was wired into a circuit board so I couldn't get it off completely (for the power light I guess). The screen underneath was also wired to the circuit boards, but I could unscrew it and get a glimpse underneath. I know what you're going to say "those wires should unclip"... well I know they usually do, but they didn't with mine, they were jammed in too tight to pull out the white connectors. Finally I could see the circuit boards, but they were facing downwards so all I could see was the solder and not the components! I tried to unscrew them to turn them over but one of them had screws that were so tight the metal on them gave way before turning, and the other had a hidden screw going to the VGA port so I had no hope of getting at that.

I think they make these things so you have to send it off to the professionals at Packard Bell who will charge more than it costs to get a new monitor. I think I'll have to give up on this.
                    Depends on the connector if it has tabs to pull or you need to lift black thing from the top upwards.
                    An example:

Comment

Working...
                    X