This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello, all! My name's Chris. I stumbled across this site when I was trying to research a problem I have with my television, to see if a DIY repair is within my capability. As far as my electronics background, I was a Crypto Repair Technician in the Marine Corps for eight years. What that means is that I was trained to perform micro-miniature repairs on circuit cards, as well as troubleshoot/handle a very specialized, sometimes classified, series of tactical communications equipment. After my schooling, I spent most of my military career inside a crypto vault, and did virtually nothing with the micro-miniature side of the house, allowing all my already mediocre electronics technician skills to rust (but gosh darn it, do I remember a bunch of security handling procedures that are completely useless in the civilian world! ). I barely remember Ohm's Law, I don't remember how to use an o-scope, and I don't think I could read a schematic to save my life. My soldering skills follow the "bigger the blob, the better the job" philosophy, but I digress. Anyway, it's nice to meet you all!

Comment

Hello just here hoping to fix my monitor im a newbie to all of this

Comment

Hi To all.

New to this but have been fixing laptops for over ten years now. Invested in a ACHI rework station recently and may need some help

Comment

Hi everybody. Just getting into some electronics work, and found this as a good resource to fix my monitor. Take care.

Comment

-~=<HI!>=~-

/me <---- happy to be here

Trying to fix a screen and saw some recent posts pertaining to a particular model that I'm interested in attempting to fix on this site. I couldn't open the files attachments that 'filesponge posted up yesterday and I would like to see them.

-~=<BYE! (for now)>=~-

Comment

Greetings!

David here, I repair all kinds of electronic equipment, and I'm just hoping to take advantage of some of the experts here who have posted information about items they've repaired and problems they've had. Thanks for a fantastic resource, and here's hoping that maybe someday I'll be able to contribute something that will help someone else.

Comment

Hello,
                I ran across this forum from an internet search on how to fix my computer monitor. The thread has some images that I would like to view and I also read what seemed like some very sound advice from several folks that sounded experienced and very willing to help a guy out. I am experienced in industrial automation equipment and have a basic understanding of a broad range of equipment aspects. (mechanical and electronic/electrical) I hope to draw from the expertise here to help me to fix my computer monitor and the occasional hardware failure that we all see from time to time.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Comment

I've been doing computer repair work for about 15 years, mostly software and hardware replacement rather than repair. I took a few electronic classes back in high school, and not all of that knowledge is lost, so a few years ago, I tried my hand at replacing some of the components on the board of a busted LCD TV I had. When it worked, I was pretty much hooked.

Now I tinker with this stuff a lot, and try my hand at repairing all sorts of components my friends and family have decided are junk. A friends of mine just handed me a new project, an older LCD TV that I'm trying to troubleshoot, and that led me to a couple of threads here.

Nice digs you've got here. I'll try to keep me feet off the furniture.

- Nigel

Comment

Hi everyone, been working on electronics forever it seems and still have no clue what I am doing, but sure have fun doing it just the same. Hope you all have a great time learning and sharing!

Comment

Hi all,
                      Not good at this sort of thing--interested in electronics--been able to repair a few pieces of equipment now & then--hoping to be able to learn a thing or 2 here--
                      Thanks

Comment

Hello Everybody,

I've been lurking around Badcaps.net forum for a while now. I finally joined late last year (when I needed to view some photos), and now find myself needing help with a project that has been back-benched for almost a year now.

I consider myself a hardcore amateur, I can take anything apart. Sometimes getting it back together, well that's another story....

I have no formal training, have a BASIC understanding of component level electronics, and I'm fairly proficient with a soldering station. I'm trying to get better at understanding circuits and take that step up from board-swapper to board-fixer. I've been a computer geek since the early 80's, getting my first (a TI-99/4A) as a birthday gift from my father. A few years later, he bought me my first IBM compatible (a Tandy 1000) and I've been building and upgrading ever since.

Lately, I've been buying salvage lots of electronic goods, refurbishing and reselling what I can, shelving the ones I can't figure out. After a year or so of doing this, I have quite a collection of 'things' that I just know only need a resistor or a diode replaced and it will be as good as new. And that's why I'm here.

Hopefully, with the help of the extremely knowledgeable members of this forum, I'll be able to clear some shelf space so I can start bidding on more treasures.

Thanks! And again, hello to everyone!

Xwell

Comment

My name is turu and I have just joined bad caps. So hi to everyone. I have a Samsung 930BF monitor that has a blank screen. The supply led is on permanently. The 5V and 13V are OK. How can I get hold of a circuit diagram. I am not familiar with back light inverters. Any Help Please. Thanks

Comment

Hi petabyte, I'm Ray and was tracking the same problem (R34).
                            I don't like spending time chewing the fat or wasting any of it,
                            life is too short. Just want to do my thing and stay productive.

Comment

Greetings all, Jason from NY here. It's disappointing that in the year 2012 there are still garbage caps being manufactured (and worse yet - companies willing to purchase these caps) to save a penny and gamble that the caps will last beyond the warranty period.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                                I'm Adam, currently residing in Texas, USA. Joined to ask some questions to more experience users.

Comment

Hi,

New here from South Africa. Currently have two broken items that I hope I can get fixed with the help of this forum.

Cheers
                                  mips

Comment

hello everyone !
                                    bye-bye bad capacitors

Comment

Hi everyone. I'm a tinkerer (mechanic by trade). My hobbies are fixing computers & monitors. . .drives my wife, of 24 years, nuts with the crap I accumulate, but we all have our crutch. I have briefly scanned a few posts and found some interesting information. I know I will enjoy this site.

Comment

Hello from Macedonia!
                                        Im having trouble with the psu on my monitor, hope i can fix it with the info provided here.

Comment

Hello from sweden, find this forum very handy so i´am joining you guys.
                                          Allways been interested in electronics and computers.

Comment

Working...
                                          X