Help with Compaq P1220/Mitsubishi 2060u

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Compaq P1220/Mitsubishi 2060u

I don't know if anyone here knows anything about old CRTs but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. My Compaq P1220 blew its HOT which I replaced along with a few other parts that I thought might be bad (all horizontal related). Now the monitor works but the vertical linearity and balance are really messed up. The OSD can correct for most of the problem but there's still a droop or slant towards the right side of the screen. Screen rotation controls don't seem to help much. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: I don't know if this is related or not but the convergence in the bottom middle of the screen is pretty bad. I'm not sure if it was always this way or not though. It's been a while since I used this monitor.
    Last edited by Gooberslot; 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM. Reason: Added more info.

Re: Help with Compaq P1220/Mitsubishi 2060u

Originally posted by Gooberslot View Post
    The OSD can correct for most of the problem but there's still a droop or slant towards the right side of the screen. Screen rotation controls don't seem to help much. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Physical defect in the deflection coil. Unfixable. The linearity on the other hand could have something to do with the other parts you replaced. Are you sure they were the right ones?

I don't know if this is related or not but the convergence in the bottom middle of the screen is pretty bad. I'm not sure if it was always this way or not though. It's been a while since I used this monitor.
    On the deflection assembly there are some convergence controls. Fire up Nokia Monitor Test, use the magenta crosshatch pattern and have fun.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Physical defect in the deflection coil. Unfixable. The linearity on the other hand could have something to do with the other parts you replaced. Are you sure they were the right ones?
      But it didn't use to be this way. Could the coil have been damaged when the monitor blew out? As for the other parts I replaced, a lot of the info I came across was on russian sites translated with google so who knows. I have the service manual but most of it is way over my head. I mainly used it as a parts list to make sure I was getting the right parts.

On the deflection assembly there are some convergence controls. Fire up Nokia Monitor Test, use the magenta crosshatch pattern and have fun.
      I didn't want to start messing with the physical controls so I used the service menu to make some adjustments. It didn't make much difference, at least at the bottom. I was able to clean up the sides a bit though.

Comment

But it didn't use to be this way. Could the coil have been damaged when the monitor blew out?
        Usually not... but it could have been accidentally knocked when you were replacing parts and might have moved a little from its optimal position, throwing the whole picture off. Actually that would explain the convergence issues too, but it's up to you if you want to attempt moving it or not.

I didn't want to start messing with the physical controls so I used the service menu to make some adjustments. It didn't make much difference, at least at the bottom. I was able to clean up the sides a bit though.
        The physical controls do a better job. Try them.
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Well, I dug my other one out of the garage and did some unnecessary part swapping (turns out that ones problem was a bad power supply but I didn't think to look for that) and it has exactly the same problem. Now I think my cheapo soldering iron may have damaged something. I measured the tip and there was ac voltage present, somewhere between 20-40v. At least that's according to my 2 DMMs, my analog meter shows at most 1v.

Comment

The AC voltage present at the tip is normal for an ungrounded iron. It is high impedance and reduces to next to nothing when the tip is actually touching something... It may cause problems on sensitive logic circuitry like on motherboards, but i don't think it's responsible for the issues you have with your monitor. The irons i've been using so far are ungrounded too.

Comment

Ok, that's a relief although I'm still going to look for a better quality iron. I know most of the parts in that monitor are rated at 200+ V so I figured most things would be safe but I read electrolytic caps are polarized and don't like voltage coming from the wrong side so I thought some of them might have been damaged.

Also, I should clarify that the second monitor still had the same geometry problems as the first except for the vertical linearity which wasn't that bad on the second. I was also much more careful disassembling the second one to make sure I didn't knock loose anything on the tube.

Comment

Working...
              X