Samsung 940BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 940BW

My Samsung 940BW monitor just refused to power on about a week ago. Fortunately, I was able to hook the computer up to my lcd tv and use the web, thus finding this wonderful forum.

I took apart the monitor and check to see if the capacitors were the problem. No visual signs, but it look like someone had replaced a few of the Capxon capacitors with some Samxons.

Decided to just give it a shot and for about $10, what's there to lose. So, I ordered a set Panasonic FC to replace the capacitors, even got the big 450v one.

My soldering looks like crap, but it powers on again and seems to be working fine. But, I was wondering if I should have gone with the FM series. Is it worth the hassle to take off the FC and solder the FM on?

One little thing I just noticed right now as I was just powering it on and off, the monitor appears dimmer when you first turn on, and then it get brighter after about 10-15 seconds, kinda like a CFL light bulb, Is this normal for a lcd screen?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Samsung 940BW

Originally posted by SiGSR View Post
    Decided to just give it a shot and for about $10, what's there to lose. So, I ordered a set Panasonic FC to replace the capacitors, even got the big 450v one.

My soldering looks like crap, but it powers on again and seems to be working fine. But, I was wondering if I should have gone with the FM series. Is it worth the hassle to take off the FC and solder the FM on?
    Generally you want to match the original specifications in terms of capacitance, voltage, ripple, and ESR. All explained in my standard answer at (regulars may skip)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3

However, if your soldering skills need improvement, then I would just leave the FCs in there and not risk any damage to the board. Practice your soldering on an old board for future repairs.

One little thing I just noticed right now as I was just powering it on and off, the monitor appears dimmer when you first turn on, and then it get brighter after about 10-15 seconds, kinda like a CFL light bulb, Is this normal for a lcd screen?
    I have noticed that in a few monitors that I have used and repaired. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Generally you want to match the original specifications in terms of capacitance, voltage, ripple, and ESR. All explained in my standard answer at (regulars may skip)
      There are two sets of capacitors that I think doesn't meet the specs of the originals. One of them, I think I can solve by getting the FM, but then there's an odd ball one that I have a problem finding on Digikey.

It's a 1000uF 25v 10mmx20mm 105c, that needs to be greater than 821 ripple current. It is to replace a pair of Samxon KM(M). Has to be a 10mm in width, and I don't think I can spare more than a few mm in height, otherwise it wouldn't go back together.

BTW, if the specs are better... higher ripple current, lower impedance, will that be bad or is it best to just get as close to the original specs?
      Last edited by SiGSR; 03-09-2012, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SiGSR View Post
        It's a 1000uF 25v 10mmx20mm 105c, that needs to be greater than 821 ripple current. It is to replace a pair of Samxon KM(M). Has to be a 10mm in width, and I don't think I can spare more than a few mm in height, otherwise it wouldn't go back together.
        Mouser has the Panasonic FR in stock, but not digikey. It is 10x20 and has a ripple of 2180.

EEU-FR1E102 = mouser part number

BTW, if the specs are better... higher ripple current, lower impedance, will that be bad or is it best to just get as close to the original specs?
        See PCBONEZ talk about all these parameters at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...30&postcount=7
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you very much for the information! That's definitely answers it.

Comment

Working...
          X