Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen & Heath XONE92 DJ mixer PSU board - (003-233JIT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen & Heath XONE92 DJ mixer PSU board - (003-233JIT)

Hello all,

I am intending on fixing my A&H PSU board myself, since I cannot afford the £100+ for a new board, I can visibly see that some of the caps are bulging on the board and one has leaked (see pictures).

The caps are as follows

1 (C57 board location). Samwha HC series, Model R3D, 400WV 68uF 85°C (M) - Width 22mm Hight 20mm
    Intended replacement - Electrolytic Capacitor Samwha HK series, Model C92, 400WV 68uf 105°C (M) - Width 22mm Hight 20mm I in fact found the exact replacement, but I believe I am correct in thinking the higher rated 105°C will afford a better performance and lifespan with no down side.

2. (C64, C65, C67 board location) Samwha WB series, Model R6A, 25 V 407uF 105°C (M) Width 16mm Hight 10mm
    Intended replacement - RUBYCON - 25ZLJ470M10X12.5 - CAPACITOR, RADIAL, 25V, 470UF

3. (C66 board location) Samwha WB series, Model R0A, 25 V 407uF 105°C (M) Width 16mm Hight 10mm - Here I have a problem and the problem is this capacitor seems to be EXACTLY the same as the one listed above (2.) except that it seems not to have failed (so looks shorter in hight but isn't) and has a different model number (R0A) I know that the ripple current rating is VERY important in this type of PSU and the R6A has a ripple current rating of 1430 ((mA rms) 105°C 100kHz) so maybe the different model number was a specific rating, unfortunately I cannot find specs on it and therefor have no way of knowing what hidden qualities it's replacement might have to have.

If anyone can recommend a replacement as close to the same spec or higher I would really appreciate it, I am a novice at this and I know that PSU's need to be right since the voltages involved are very high, also honestly A&H mixers aren't cheap and I cannot afford to inadvertently fry any other components. hehe

So any other suggestions or advice would be wonderful. I also found this nice bit of info on these caps that might be of help for others looking for info on these caps visiting the board.

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_102-3130121.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by firespace; 02-17-2012, 02:02 AM.

Re: Allen & Heath XONE92 DJ mixer PSU board - (003-233JIT)

Replace all Samwha crapcaps.

WB series is discontinued since 2009 according to Samwha's own site. They suggest replacing it with their MZ series.
    Panasonic FR series is close in specs to Samwha RZ (for 25V 470uF 10x12.5) if you can get them from somewhere. (preferably not ebay.. lots of fakes out there)

The Rubycon ZLJ you linked to has noticeably higher ESR (0.053) than Samwha MZ (0.038 ESR).
    ZLH series on the other hand would be almost identical (0.039 ESR) to Samwha MZ series (the WB replacement)
    Again, this is for 10mm dia x 12.5mm height, 25V 470uF .. can size is important

R6A and R0A are probably just cryptic datecodes.. not really important.

So for the 4 brown turds.. err.. I mean Samwha's, Rubycon ZLH would make a good replacement.

As for the primary cap (the 400V 68uF), this one should do. If you really want a 105°C cap in its place, that one should do the trick if you have enough room to fit a 30mm high cap (and put the PSU where it's supposed to go)

What are the other caps on the board? The smaller ones in between the brown turds and the ones to the right of the big primary cap in the first pic. I mean.. you're in there already, so why not do a complete overhaul?

As for the leaked electrolyte.. clean that up ASAP. It can corrode the traces.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8364
    Last edited by Scenic; 02-17-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

The Rubycon ZLG is even lower impedance than the ZLH, so it also might be an option, if available and in the appropriate case size. I'd also look at Nichicon and United Chemicon (= Nippon Chemicon), especially for that 400V cap. Both have GP and long-life fluorescent ballast-grade series worth looking at, if available.

R6A and R0A are probably just cryptic datecodes.. not really important.
      Concur. Other mfrs use YYWW (Year Year Week Week) or WWYY, maybe with an extra character or two to identify the plant location.
      Last edited by PeteS in CA; 02-18-2012, 11:09 AM.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Hello Scenic,

Thanks so much for your helpful advice, which I'm gonna gratefully accept So I will replace all the Samwha crapcaps.. yay!

Here is all the stats for the remaining caps I could find, I believe the transformer winding is still fine, just looks a bit erm.. melted hehe.

4. (C61, C62, C58 board locations). Jamicon 324C4(M), 63V 120uF 105°C (M) - Width 8mm Hight 16mm

5. (C57 board location). Samwha SD series, Model R7A, 400V 10uF 105°C (M) - Width 10mm Hight 21mm

6. (C57 board location). Samwha SG series, Model R8E, 50V 10uF 85°C (M) - Width 5mm Hight 10mm (might be 11mm hard to tell)

I have included a new location image.

Thanks also for mentioning the ESR rating being different, it was bothering me that that was the closest I could find, not helped by my incompetent use of the Farnell selection tool.

PeteS's suggestion that I use Rubycon ZLG series seems like a nice upgrade, (thanks Pete ) but I have been utterly unable to find a supplier who will ship to the UK, I expect having looked on google ZLG are a little sought after by HiFi buffs, but alas no UK or even US suppliers for that exact cap! Any links to buy these things would be amazingly helpful!!

Also I neglected to mention your dead right "can size is important”
        because there is a safety cover that goes over the top of the board, and is no doubt the reason the caps failed because it overheated (well that and the fact they are crappy caps), pictures included, as you can see there is only 27mm headroom from the board, I suppose since there is room in the mixer I could put a 30mm cap in and leave a 3mm gap, might even help with cooling and ventilation.

FireSpace
        Attached Files
        Last edited by firespace; 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Hi PeteS,

Thanks for the clarification and added info, living in CA I doubt you would have any UK links, though even any USA based linkage for suppliers able to post to UK would be really helpful, I had a sniff about with google but had very limited results for the ZLG series or any of the others you mentioned.

FireSpace

Comment

Other than Farnell, which I understand is part of Newark Electronics, I'm not aware of another UK-EuroLand distributor like Digi-Key. You might see what Avnet-Abacus might be able to do. It might not hurt to ring up Rubycon's Amsterdam or Munich sales offices to see of they have any suggestions. Also, maybe look on the sites for Panasonic/Matsushita, Nichicon and United (or Nippon) Chemicon to see what distributors and sales offices they have in EuroLand. If you do much repair work, developing sources for stuff would be a good time investment.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Hi,

Just wondering would a lower ESR rating than the original component put more stress on components down stream? Should the ESR be as close to the original, or should I seek to make impedance as low as possible in all the replacement Caps?

Thanks,

FS.

Comment

It's recommended to match the ESR as close as you can. Lower ESR will certainly not hurt in terms of filtering, but it may cause the SMPS controller to go crazy because ESR changes the transfer function of the feedback loop, and that would open a whole new can of worms.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thank you Th3_uN1Qu3 very useful info.

I guess all I need now is links to the Farnell site for as many of the replacements as possible, and if some kind person could list what other caps I need I will source the rest myself.

Sorry if I am being demanding, I’m just learning at this and the guidance and assistance is very much appreciated. So glad I found this awesome forum, you guys are so friendly to share your expertise. - Thanks all : )

Comment

Ok so today I found these Panasonic as a replacement for the number 5 caps, anyone know of Rubycon Caps of the same specs, I couldn’t find any on Farnell but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there...

5. (C57 board location). Samwha SD series, Model R7A, 400V 10uF 105°C (M) - Width 10mm Hight 21mm (ripple 115 @120khz)

http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eca2...0uf/dp/1907181

Comment

Panasonic makes very good caps, no reason to search for Rubycon if you already found Panasonic.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I have been unable to find a data sheet for the Jamicon WG series that lists the 63V 120uF 105°C can anyplace on this here intereweb thingy, so I have no way of knowing what the ripple current rating was, but I'm gonna guess it was roughly the same as the Rubycon LZ series of the same stats

Rubycon LZ
                        120 8x7 380
                        120 6.3x11 405

I would say it is closer in can size to the 6.3x11mm can so I'm gonna go with 405 for the ripple.

I would really appreciate it if someone who can spare a minute or two could check these for me and tell me if I have missed anything, or made any noobish mistakes before I order.

4. (C61, C62, C58 board locations). Jamicon 324C4(M), 63V 120uF 105°C (M) - Width 8mm Hight 16mm

This is the intended replacement

http://uk.farnell.com/nichicon/uhe1j...ial/dp/1899695

Comment

Cool beans, I shall add those replacements to the basket : ) now I just gotta get the others checked by someone, and look up a replacement for

6. (C57 board location). Samwha SG series, Model R8E, 50V 10uF 85°C (M) - Width 5mm Hight 10mm (might be 11mm hard to tell)

And then I shall be good to go.

Thanks Th3_uN1Qu3

Comment

50v 10uF sounds like a startup capacitor, you can use basically anything there. But make it 105C.

Comment

Despite being a bit sick.. here we go:

1 (C57 board location). Samwha HC series, Model R3D, 400WV 68uF 85°C (M) - Width 22mm Hight 20mm
                              Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                              As for the primary cap (the 400V 68uF), this one should do. If you really want a 105°C cap in its place, that one should do the trick if you have enough room to fit a 30mm high cap (and put the PSU where it's supposed to go)
                              ---
                              http://uk.farnell.com/rubycon/25zlh4...25v/dp/8126461
                              ---
                              Originally posted by firespace View Post
                              Need a series. I'm guesstimating from the pics that they're WG series, but there's no 63V 120uF in the datasheet. Much less a 8mm dia one

Doesn't prevent me from finding a replacement cap though
                              http://uk.farnell.com/nichicon/uhe1j...ial/dp/1899695
                              ---
                              5. (C57 board location). Samwha SD series, Model R7A, 400V 10uF 105°C (M) - Width 10mm Hight 21mm
                              http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeue...0mm/dp/1673487
                              ---
                              6. (C57 (?) board location). Samwha SG series, Model R8E, 50V 10uF 85°C (M) - Width 5mm Hight 10mm (might be 11mm hard to tell)
                              http://uk.farnell.com/united-chemi-c...ial/dp/1220672

just grab the right quantities and you should be set

edit: god.. I'm waaaay too slow today
                              Last edited by Scenic; 02-29-2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

god.. I'm waaaay too slow today
                                You good sir are frakkin’ awesome today!

Thanks and I shall put a "good health unto thee and thine kind fellow" wish in the cosmic post to you immediately, the moment i’m done peeling those stamps of the last one I got sent.. - but seriously thank you and get well soon!

Yippy now to huff on some solder fumes while waiting for Farnell to send my goodies..

Corrections for others reading this looking to do the same thing -

Cap number 5. (see picture) (C56 board location) thus Cap 6. (C57 board location) is correct : )

Thanks to all the contributors of this here thread and this amazing forum in general!
                                Last edited by firespace; 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM.

Comment

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...5cffd5baf9.pdf

I have noticed the ripple rating for the original is 115 @ 120hz-
                                  Hence my replacement choice of-

http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eca2...0uf/dp/1907181

your choice-

http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/eeue...0mm/dp/1673487

has a rating of 150 @ 120Hz

Your choice is much cheaper and seems to last much longer under operating conditions, my question is, how much of a slave to ripple current accuracy (to the original caps) should I be with my replacements?

: ) - thanks again for all the help, hope you're feeling better : )

FS
                                  Last edited by firespace; 02-29-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

The higher the ripple rating the better. At the very least the same ratings as the original cap. (It's an "up to" figure, like the voltage.. It'll work fine up to XYZ mA ripple current without blowing up by overheating)

ESR on the other hand should be as close to the original as possible to prevent problems. Lower ESR generally doesn't hurt, as long as you don't go too extreme.
                                    Replacing a 0.048 ohm ESR cap with a 0.036 ohm ESR one shouldn't cause any serious problems.
                                    Going from a 0.048 ohm ESR cap to one with 0.012 ohm ESR (or even less) most likely will make something go out of whack.

Had such an "ESR problem" just a few weeks back. The caps I used in a LCD TV PSU were too good in terms of ESR, which made the whole thing whistle/whine and run much hotter than before. Replacing them again with slightly "worse" caps (higher ESR ; closer to the originals) made it work as if nothing happened.

I'm feeling a bit better, but I'm still on my "way in" so to speak.
                                    My bro has been coughing his lungs out.. he just can't stop it. I fear I'm gonna end up the same in a few days or something :/
                                    So far it's just a runny nose + headache.. maybe I'll get lucky (famous last words.. )

Comment

Very informative thanks so much, I hope you don’t mind but I PM’ed a little informal health info since you have been so kind sharing your knowledge, and I cure colds and coughs quite often I hope it’s of use.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                        The higher the ripple rating the better. At the very least the same ratings as the original cap. (It's an "up to" figure, like the voltage.. It'll work fine up to XYZ mA ripple current without blowing up by overheating)

ESR on the other hand should be as close to the original as possible to prevent problems. Lower ESR generally doesn't hurt, as long as you don't go too extreme.
                                        Replacing a 0.048 ohm ESR cap with a 0.036 ohm ESR one shouldn't cause any serious problems.
                                        Going from a 0.048 ohm ESR cap to one with 0.012 ohm ESR (or even less) most likely will make something go out of whack.
                                        Could I use my choice without problems?

I can’t find the ESR rating for it or the original, but the one you list is a USA import and I get charged a handling fee of £15 from Farnell.
                                        Last edited by firespace; 03-02-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X