Chimei DAC-19M009 Power Supply problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chimei DAC-19M009 Power Supply problems

[QUOTE=retiredcaps;124496]It may only be one ccfl that is bad, not all of them.

Thanks again for the quick feedback. Excuse the ignorance, it looks like these are wired in parallel, and if one was bad the screen might be dim, not dark. What is the procedure for testing individual CCFLs? I was just going to replace all of them as I don't want to tear it down in a couple of months to replace a different one. Is the failure rate on these minimal and I have just experienced an anomaly or is replacing them all a smarter way to proceed, or am I just shot gunning the problem. Thank you

Comment

I misspoke they are not in parallel, however I am still back to how to test them.

Comment

Originally posted by ray123 View Post
        1)excuse the ignorance, it looks like these are wired in parallel, and if one was bad the screen might be dim, not dark.

2) what is the procedure for testing individual ccfls?

3) i was just going to replace all of them as i don't want to tear it down in a couple of months to replace a different one. Is the failure rate on these minimal and i have just experienced an anomaly or is replacing them all a smarter way to proceed, or am i just shot gunning the problem. Thank you
        1) PlainBill describes 2 seconds to black best ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=18

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...8&postcount=64

After you read the above, you will understand why one bad ccfl will not make it "dim".

2) Testing ccfl. See step #5

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Since you have 2 monitors, it will be easy. You do not have to remove the ccfls to test. Just make sure the wires reach from one monitor to the other and don't let the monitors touch.

3) Replacing them all is a valid point if you use the monitor a lot (which it sounds like you do). I read that ccfls in LCD have a life of 40,000 hours +/- 10,000 hours. So if you have the monitor on 24 hours x 365 days = 8760 hours/year. I'm assuming if you have your monitor at 90% brightness (usually factory default), then the ccfl will die more quickly.

So it is possible that after 3.5 years of 24 hour use that all your ccfls may be "bad" and require replacement.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

you should replace all at once.
          i replaced all the ccfl's in a bunch of elo touch monitors when 1 died.easier than fixing them as the rest died.these are critical to a local business and run 24/7.
          the old lamps had browning of the phosphor.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
            you should replace all at once.
            Assuming you replace all of them as kc8adu suggests, keep one or two that look good so you have a "good" ccfl for testing in the future. That will help greatly in troubleshooting future LCDs because you can quickly eliminate the ccfls as good or bad.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hello all,

Bringing back the same post with somewhat the same problem...
              I own a Viewsonic VX2245wm and guess what! The screen went black. Only the blue power indicator and an instant (less than a second) flash without any image whenever i try to connect it to my PC's video card.
              My question is simple enough. How do i know it is the PCB and not the inverter? All capacitors seem fine (see the attached pics) or i think they are.
              And one more... Is it possible to replace the 19M009 with the 19M010 that i found on eBay? Does it lack the soundboard or is it the same with a new design?

Thank you all and thumbs up to you all, this is a great forum!
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photos because they really help in the diagnosis of the problem. It looks like several of the caps are bulged at the top and need to be replaced. The ones I'm referring to are the black ones (Capxon?). The green Taicon ones should also be replaced. The large 450V can be left alone. That leaves 9 caps that should be replaced. Suggested replacements are Panasonic FR, FM or FC series from digikey.com.
                Last edited by jetadm123; 03-15-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Wow! This is what they call "Fast Reply"!!! Thank you for your remarks and advice.

These Capxon capacitors are really crap(xon). A lot of people are having the same problem. Such a shame that they pick these for building a nice LCD with a lot of features that eventually will fail (in shorter time than usual!).

Would you suggest me to go for the 19M010 board? I am not that experienced in soldering...
                  I have found one on eBay that is relatively cheap. Is it ok to post the link in here? I hope i will not violate any rules...

Comment

Honestly, I personally don't recommend subbing the 19M010 for the 19M009 because there could be enough of a design difference between the two that might cause problems. The recommended procedure on this forum is to try and repair your existing board. And the first order of business would be to replace those caps before going any further. Total cost should be around $10-$11, shipping included.

Comment

OK, will do that!
                      I will post pictures and let you know of the progress. I hope everything is going to be fine and that my LCD will come back to life.

Thank you very much!

Comment

Digikey wants 18 Euro to send me 10 capacitors... Reliable maybe, but not that cheap...

Comment

Really helps if member's post their location. Price I quoted was for the USA. How about Farnell or RS components?

Comment

Sorry, my bad...
                            I live in Greece. I will check the other two you suggested.
                            You are really helpful around here. Appreciate that. Thanks!

Comment

hi all ,

I'm so glad o find this forum :-)

I have the same ps board Chimei DAC-19M009 and have problem:
                              it started few month ago.
                              when the pc was of the led was orange (no signal) when I turned the pc on the led turned off (now it has signal) and I needed to wait 3~10 minutes until the led turned green and the screen was on and worked fine . during this time that the led was off and the screen was off I was hearing high pitch sound (like caps charging sound ) and it was going on and off (sound-> no sound....)
                              so now the problem is that the screen not turning on even after 15 minutes the led returns to orange (windows power saving turns monitor off after 15 minutes idle) and if I move mouse it turning off again trying to turn on

I opened not the monitor and it looks like the board you are discussing on
                              and the 3 crapxon caps 220uF-25V and one 2200uF-10V are bulged at the top .

what do you think ?should it be the problem?
                              I found the repair kit on ebay:
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/DAC-19M009-REPAI...#ht_2448wt_698

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Mishael View Post
                                hi all ,

when the pc was of the led was orange (no signal) when I turned the pc on the led turned off (now it has signal) and I needed to wait 3~10 minutes until the led turned green and the screen was on and worked fine . during this time that the led was off and the screen was off I was hearing high pitch sound (like caps charging sound ) and it was going on and off (sound-> no sound....)
                                so now the problem is that the screen not turning on even after 15 minutes the led returns to orange (windows power saving turns monitor off after 15 minutes idle) and if I move mouse it turning off again trying to turn on

Thanks in advance
                                Yes, that is most likely the problem.

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

It worked!!! I have replaced the 3 220uF 25V and 1 2200uF 10V caps and it work's now!!! thank you all!!

it cost'd me just 3$ lol

Comment

Same here as Mishael guys! Great news!
                                    I replaced all the C(r)apxons capacitors with Rubycon capacitors (1000uf-25v x 2 and 220uf-25v x 3) and the monitor works like a charm! The other capacitors seemed fine so i left them as they were.

Thanks for all of your support and advice!
                                    Keep on supporting this great forum!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Mishael View Post
                                      hi all ,

Thanks in advance

I would advise you to select the brand and type of capacitors according to this forum's post https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280
                                      If it is like one i saw (the listing you posted has nichicons which are good overall) ask the seller what exactly type are the capacitors (e.g. PM, PW, HE etc.)
                                      Hope this helps.
                                      Last edited by LuSiD; 05-15-2011, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                                        I'm trying to identify one cap that the white glue pulled the sheath off and I couldn't read.
                                        Any chance someone could take a look and forward on the value?

Please see cap circled in red on the pic.

Thanks!
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cds1984 View Post
                                          Hi,
                                          I'm trying to identify one cap that the white glue pulled the sheath off and I couldn't read.
                                          Any chance someone could take a look and forward on the value?

Please see cap circled in red on the pic.

Thanks!
                                          Startup cap. 22uF, 50V. Identified here.

PlainBill
                                          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                                          X