Backlight connectors incompatible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backlight connectors incompatible

I found an IBM monitor with a faulty analog to digital board. The screen is compatible with that Nec LCD1703M that has broken LCD screen.

I already connected the LCD signal connector to the Nec and it worked.

The only problem is that the backlight connectors are different. The IBM screen uses 4x 2 pin connectors (see photo 1) while the Nec screen has 2x 4 pin connectors (see photo 2).

I searched the web about conversion from one connector to another, but the most relevant info I found is this:
    http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/cclawiwi.html ("step #2")

Has anyone done that before? Can you help me please?
    Attached Files

Re: Backlight connectors incompatible

Let's see the backs of the boards.

At first glance, I'd say the NEC uses a common return (small wire) and 2 "hots". The back should show if the IBM is common between the smaller wires. If so, I'd bet the IBM's could simply be tied together as common on the NEC, using the NEC connector.

T
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
      Let's see the backs of the boards.

At first glance, I'd say the NEC uses a common return (small wire) and 2 "hots". The back should show if the IBM is common between the smaller wires. If so, I'd bet the IBM's could simply be tied together as common on the NEC, using the NEC connector.

T
      The 2 small wires are connected to a coil on the IBM board. There is space for that coil on the NEC board too (there is also space for the 2 pin connectors used by the IBM board) but instead of a coil there is jumper.

Do you think I can still connect the small wires together?
      Attached Files

Comment

No need to quote on next post. Sorry, pet peeve.

I would:

1) Try what I suggested and see what happens. Are the IBM connector contact parts able to be swapped to the NEC?

2) If it doesn't work or goes into shutdown, then try moving the 2 coils and 4 connectors over and rewire the NEC board to the IBM connector setup. The NEC is silk-screened for up to 6 tubes.

T
        veritas odium parit

Comment

It worked!

I soldered the connectors and the coils of the IBM psu on the NEC. I did that so I wouldn't have to change the connectors of the IBM panel. Thank you very much for your help!

BTW the image is very good for a 2003 panel!
          Attached Files

Comment

Excellent!

Now, please, stop serving alcohol to those caps. They appear to have had waaaay too much already... :P

Cheers!

T
            veritas odium parit

Comment

They try to escape from hot heatsink :P

Comment

Working...
              X