Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

216BW after cap replacement

Hi all,
    I'd like to start off by saying I'm glad I found this site.
    I have a Sammy 216BW and the enclosed pictures is what it was doing prior to the cap replacement. and after replacing the 22uf, 5x820uf, 330uf, 2.2uf, and I didn't have an extra 47uf but it looks ok.
    After the cap replacement, I thought it was working as I tested it with the back off the monitor. when I put the back on the monitor, it acts just like it did before. (as seen in the attached images.
    I've had the monitor without the back on for the past 30 minutes and no hiccups.
    Any ideas what could be the culprit?
    Attached Files

Re: 216BW after cap replacement

Put the back on and the monitor is acting up again.

Comment

Hi, welcome to Badcaps!

I can't say much about the specific symptoms, but my opinion is if it works with the cover off, and messes up with it on, it's one of 2 things.

Mechanical - cover torques the board(s) and makes a cracked trace or bad solder joint act up.

Heat- cover on causes heat to rise, and plays havoc with a component that's borderline.

While the back is off try prodding /bending the boards with an insulated tool, or try a heat gun or hair dryer to see if you can isolate it.
      Could also be a bad bond from the tcon to the panel.
      That would be bad news. You could try gently touching/flexing that area.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

As above + what make/series of caps did you use - may not be any better than what you took out!
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I had a different samsung monitor with the same symptoms. There were 3 bad caps in the PSU, and it still didn't work right when they were replaced (with rubycon's)!

I got frustrated, but found ONE page on the internet in which someone fixed theirs by clearing the EEPROM on the mainboard. I did that, ...and... presto! It requires two of the pins to be shorted together while powering the monitor up.

Got any pics of the mainboard?
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
            I had a different samsung monitor with the same symptoms. There were 3 bad caps in the PSU, and it still didn't work right when they were replaced (with rubycon's)!

I got frustrated, but found ONE page on the internet in which someone fixed theirs by clearing the EEPROM on the mainboard. I did that, ...and... presto! It requires two of the pins to be shorted together while powering the monitor up.

Got any pics of the mainboard?
            Can you please tell us which pins needs shorting? Also, if there's more than one EEPROM, which one is it? ICXXX, UXXX?

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
              Can you please tell us which pins needs shorting? Also, if there's more than one EEPROM, which one is it? ICXXX, UXXX?
              The thing is - your mainboard is probably different.

I have to shoo now, I will look for the chip's P/N later
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

The thing is - your mainboard is probably different.
                Exactly. That's why I'm asking. People who come across this thread in the future will want to know which board this fix worked on.

Comment

Here is the post I found long ago. See if you have the 'A81SC' chip on your logic board. If you don't, please list the 8-pin SMD chips on the logic board, and their part numbers.
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I got frustrated, but found ONE page on the internet in which someone fixed theirs by clearing the EEPROM on the mainboard. I did that, ...and... presto!
                    I've seen an eeprom clear and/or factory reset fix colour problems like that, but corrupt or bad settings stored wouldn't explain how it changes when the back is removed.
                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by dandaling View Post
                      After the cap replacement, I thought it was working as I tested it with the back off the monitor. when I put the back on the monitor, it acts just like it did before. (as seen in the attached images.
                      I've had the monitor without the back on for the past 30 minutes and no hiccups. Any ideas what could be the culprit?
                      Ok, does the distortion happen immediately after you put the cover back on. Or does it take awhile?
                      The reason I ask is because if it happens immediately, it's some sort of compression or pinching issue. But if it takes awhile, it's probably a heat issue.

Comment

Here is the post I found long ago. See if you have the 'A81SC' chip on your logic board. If you don't, please list the 8-pin SMD chips on the logic board, and their part numbers.
                        ben7, thanks for the link.

Comment

Wow, Thanks all for the replies!
                          I have Nichicon Caps for all, the only one I didn't replace (I was an idiot and got a 4.7 instead of a 47uf cap so the capx crap is still there, but doesn't appear to be in bad condition when I removed it.
                          I completely disassembled the monitor and reassembled it and it is working without a hitch (so far).
                          Had used it for 5 hours last night and no problems arose. Thinking maybe a wire may have gotten crimped. Plus the monitor I got had no base as it was used as a wall mount. Cant complain as I got it for free. Will wall mount it at home after testing another 5 hours on it. If all is good, I suspect it will be fine going forward.
                          Hi Ben7, Thanks for that link, If I experience any freezing I will try that pin 5,6 thing. Played Skyrim on it and it was rock solid with no issues.

Thank you so much all, I appreciate all your help.
                          Look forward to finding more monitors out there. Hopefully come across a tv or two. Can't believe there are so many manufacturers using crappy caps. Thanks to this site I can Benefit!!!

Cheers!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X