LG Flatron Wide w/bad caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG Flatron Wide w/bad caps

I was given this LG because the unit did not respond when you push the power button. I took it apart and found bulging caps. The caps that are bulging are marked as follows. SAMXON, 1000uF16v, 105degreeC6, W1A. I am trying to track down some replacements for the two bulgers and would prefer better quality replacements. The unit is, I was told, about a year old. This will be my first attempt at replacing caps but I am fairly handy at doing most things. I repaired a main board on my 27” RCA television when the repair shop wouldn't/couldn't and I fix up old computers as a hobby. I do stainglass work and have plenty of experience at soldering.
    I realize there could be other issues but want to fix what is obviously bad as part of the process of elimination. If it does not work after caps are replaced, I'll still have gained some experience and had some fun.
    I need better caps!!

Re: LG Flatron Wide w/bad caps

Which model number? Any photos?

May be i can supply you better capacitors free of charge. Please provide more details. Thanks.
    My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

This was manufactured March 2007 and the model number is; L196WTQ-BF.
      The product code is; L196WTQ BFQ.AUSMQP.
      Thanks for your reply Big Pope. I will check out the links you posted.

Comment

Fuck.

I have that monitor. In fact, I'm writing this on it. Bought it new January 08.

Let me know if new caps bring it back.

Comment

Hi weirdlookinguy,
          This could take me a while but will let you know the outcome. Good luck with yours.

Comment

Well it's got almost 2k hours on it so far and no problems... yet.

But thanks chaschap, just whenever you get around to fixing it let us know.

Comment

Let me guess those Samxon are GF series and are a hunter green color?
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                Let me guess those Samxon are GF series and are a hunter green color?
                or Samxon GL .. the ones that even big pope couldn't find in the samxon database.. lol

(most likely to be fake samxons)
                http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps...L/DSC06830.jpg
                http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps...L/DSC06831.jpg
                http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps...L/DSC06832.jpg

Comment

I think GL is just an out of production (retired) series.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Thank you the comments for Samxon GL or GF from all the above guys.

Recently two years, i have tested Samxon GT in iMac/Power Mac G5's PSU, it is ultra long life and low impedance, reliable replacement for very hot parts, like power supply, LCD monitors or some hardwares which less space for heat loss. I recommand Samxon GT and RS.

Now just wait for the reply from chaschap and send him Samxon GT or RS for replacement the bad caps.

Comment

Hi all,
                      The caps have GF(M) marked on them, are green in color and have a big X stampt on the end, which is where the bulging is. I just want to know what caps I should replace these with and where I can get them.
                      Thanks,
                      Chuck

Comment

I see Big Pope wrote about the SAMXON GT caps. Not too sure I'm interested in using SAMXON caps. Other brand ideas anyone?
                        Thanks,
                        Chuck

Comment

Panasonic FM.

Comment

Rubycon MBZ and MCZ, and Sanyo WG are three other alternatives that should do the job, and at the same time being possible to source. On Ebay you can also find Panasonic FJ and FL as good alternatives, just be careful about which vendor you choose. There are vendors that sell fakes. Personally I have found this vendor reliable.

If I were you, I would have given the Samxons a try, if I was gifted them.
                            ------------
                            Be a mensch

Comment

Originally posted by chaschap
                              I see Big Pope wrote about the SAMXON GT caps. Not too sure I'm interested in using SAMXON caps. Other brand ideas anyone?
                              Thanks,
                              Chuck
                              OK, no problem, up to you.

Sorry, i don't have other brands, I am selling Samxon only since 2004. Actually, I want to know life for your monitor, welcome to return me anytime if Samxon GT failed in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope

May be i can supply you better capacitors free of charge. Please provide more details. Thanks.

Originally posted by Big Pope

Could you send me a couple as well? I have the same model and problem. Push the power button should light up the button blue. So last night I opened up the display and snooped around with my voltmeter. The 2 circuit boards include the green, display, circuit board and the SMPS.

There are several plug connector on the power supply module. Checking around I found the 15v to be around 12 volts and heading south with a meter across. It eventually bottomed out around 1 or 2 volts.

Removing the load from the power supply and waiting for a few minutes allowed the power supply recover and the output returned to the normal +15 and +5 volts. After it stabilized I plugged back in all the cables. 2 for the LCD panel and one 12 pin molex for the video board and found the voltages crapping out.

I don't see and bulging capacitors but since this is the same model and trouble as the OP I assumed these models have been manufactured with the same brand of parts. For good or bad.

Perhaps the OP could read the voltage (at full load) at pin 1 ( grey color wire , the remaining 12 or so are white) from the white molex connector. Read either end. You could use a 25 gage wire with one end stripped and the other end attached to your meter.

Badcap21.

Comment

I have the same model and problem
                                  two of the green GF(m) SAMXON, 1000uF16v, 105degreeC6 and one of the
                                  SAMXON, 1000uF25v, 105degreeC6 caps on my power supply are bulged.

Any suggestions for suppliers in the US.

Comment

Working...
                                  X