The 2012 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2012 Operating System Thread

I've transitioned all of my machines to 7. I know it's not the right answer, but with powerful PCs being so cheap, and wanting to be able to run x64 at home, windows 7 is the way to go. Our anecdotal evidence shows that it's more resistant to spyware and viruses than XP in our corporate environment. This could be due to the stricter use of administrative level access.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
      I've transitioned all of my machines to 7. I know it's not the right answer, but with powerful PCs being so cheap, and wanting to be able to run x64 at home, windows 7 is the way to go. Our anecdotal evidence shows that it's more resistant to spyware and viruses than XP in our corporate environment. This could be due to the stricter use of administrative level access.
      Agreed about security... even vista has better security than xp...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        Agreed about security... even vista has better security than xp...
        Not exactly....they made vista and 7 more idiot proof (not the same as being more secure, similar to Apple's flawed "security through obscurity" logic). To make a bulletproof XP or w2k box, you had to know a little more.... Big difference though.... I could make a win2k box more secure than 7 could ever imagine.....but would billybob idiot know these tricks? Nope, someone would compromise his box, and he'd whine what a pile of crap w2k was....same with XP....and linux....and any OS in existence. ...and the battle wages on.

I'd be willing to wager that XP gets another solid 5 years of mainstream use before it really starts to fade away like win2k has.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Windows 7 on my main PC, XP or Win2k on all the others.

The only thing that totally sucks about Win7 is audio latency. I don't know what causes it or how to fix it, but it's totally messed up on my main box, with little blips and stuttering in the audio every now and then (Especially annoying with music. Using Winamp 5.6)

I do all my "more important" audio stuff on my 2nd computer running XP. No problems there whatsoever.

If I could somehow fix the audio latency issues, I'd be happy with win7 in pretty much every regard apart from nothing being where I'm used to find it lol

Win2k is still going on my older systems/laptops (I've got the licenses, so why not use them..?!)

OS X on a test box and in dualboot with XP on my Netbook. It's a bitch to get running on non-Apple HW, but once that's done, it's a nice and stable OS.

Currently thinking of getting a dedicated server on the cheap which would run either Server 2008 SP2 (= Vista) or Server 2008 R2 SP1 (= Win7). Unfortunately that server company doesn't offer Server 2003 anymore. If I could get a license relatively cheap, I'd give it a go as a custom install..
          I won't go for any linux flavor on that one cause I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings. Meaning I do know some basics, but I highly doubt it'll be sufficient to keep it safe and doing what I want it to do at the same time. With windows, I at least know what the f*ck I'm doing and what the consequences are.

Comment

The Poll asks for your PRIMARY Operating System.
            That would be a list of - one.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
              but i have no primary system... >.> i dual-boot regardless. half archlinux when working, half windows when having fun.

what would my primary OS be then?

Comment

I'm sorry for providing background information someone might be interested in.. *big fat rolleyes*

Comment

So? Many of us have more than one computer, and even the few of us who only have one might use more than one OS :P

Comment

Originally posted by toastygoodness View Post
                    but i have no primary system... >.> i dual-boot regardless. half archlinux when working, half windows when having fun.

what would my primary OS be then?
                    Well,
                    The -Poll- asks what your PRIMARY OS is.
                    That's what the question -is-.
                    So if you don't have one........
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Yes, we answer that by voting in the poll.
                      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Working...
                      X