Just broke a customer's laptop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just broke a customer's laptop...

Guess I was due to make a mistake. Was disassembling a customer's laptop and the antenna wires caught on the case as I lifted the hinges out of the lower shell. The shell picked up and swung off the desk, and I lost my grip on the screen, and dropped it. Fell on its back, but it was enough to put a nice diagonal crack across the screen.

17" screen... $90 out of pocket. Guess I should make sure that I can fix what it originally came here for before I order the screen, but I'm almost certain the original problem was old dried up CPU paste that wasn't replaced by the last place that diagnosed it.

Ugh. Just not my day today.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Just broke a customer's laptop...

Yep, that's not working so good.

Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

too bad it is a large widescreen...otherwise I would have a panel to fit your needs... (from a dead HP nc6000). (OT- I wonder if that panel has value)

don't feel too bad... all but 3 of my prior working laptops have died from smashed screens caused by falling on the back...out of those, only one was ever fixed. out of the 3 survivors, two were magnesium bodied Dell latitudes, and the third was lucky enough to have been bought after I stopped being quite as clumsy.
      Last edited by ratdude747; 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Was just thinking about it, and I think I'm going to go ahead and order the screen so that it's on the way. Chances are, I'll be able to fix the laptop anyway.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I'd be lying if I said I never hosed a customer board.... it's the nature of this imperfect world we live in.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Once I was working on an Acer laptop with an "InsydeH2O" (Weird phoenix hybrid) bios. I routinely flash BIOS on computers to keep them up to date. This time, however, Acer's utility locked up the keyboard and mouse and failed to flash.

Not a big deal I thought. Insyde BIOS have recovery through the use of CDs. Guess what? Laptop is completely dead! No power whatsoever. I don't know how Acer did this, but some chip on the motherboard will not allow current to pass through if there is a corrupted BIOS. No lights even with adapter plugged in.

$100 later, everything was working. Still have that motherboard. Maybe I'll ship out the BIOS chip one day to get re-programmed.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              Once I was working on an Acer laptop with an "InsydeH2O" (Weird phoenix hybrid) bios. I routinely flash BIOS on computers to keep them up to date. This time, however, Acer's utility locked up the keyboard and mouse and failed to flash.

Not a big deal I thought. Insyde BIOS have recovery through the use of CDs. Guess what? Laptop is completely dead! No power whatsoever. I don't know how Acer did this, but some chip on the motherboard will not allow current to pass through if there is a corrupted BIOS. No lights even with adapter plugged in.

$100 later, everything was working. Still have that motherboard. Maybe I'll ship out the BIOS chip one day to get re-programmed.
              That sounds more like the EC (embedded controller) flash got corrupted. The EC is what controls system power, the indicator lights, and the keyboard.

Comment

Guess it's part of fixing things for people to accidentally break one or two every now and again :P

Now... this happened 3 days ago when a client came in to get the old cracked LCD replaced. She bought a white LCD + digitiser in so I could put it in... but it got caught on the screen cable as I pushed it in and this is what happened.

$36 later (out of my own pocket) and this was the end result.

Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

It is like baseball... even those with the best batting averages do occasionally slip up and get a strike out... or in american football when the best QBs accidentally throw a pick-6 (interception plus defensive touchdown). Sometimes, you just screw up.
                  sigpic

Comment

What are solder barrels for? I was unsoldering a broken audio jack and the jack came out with this cylindrical copper-colored thing around the pins. The new jack I put in didn't work at all. I'm thinking those barrels actually did something.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

What are solder barrels for?
                      Uh, weren't those the vias in the board?
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I've accidentally damaged stuff lots of times in the past. Once I was trying to test an nVidia GF 7950GT I had just re-capped for a customer. It was working until I bumped it, which fried the card.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I would have a look at the back of the display and look for manufacturer/model. Most of the time you can buy the same display for roughly half price compared to buying from the laptop manufacturer.

Comment

I was fixing a Dell XPS M1530 laptop which had a cracked right hinge, a ruined WIFI antenna, a locked BIOS, a dying hard drive, a recessed left touchpad button, and a filthy keyboard with one missing key. Yeah, what I heard from the customer was that someone sat on the computer. (And somehow did not damage the screen!)

I fixed most of those problems then. Then I decided to clean the keyboard. While doing so, I cracked two keys' hinges, and the result was that they were unusable. That was only $7.50 total to replace them, including the missing key. Nothing compared to the rest of the thread. I, however, almost overheated the laptop in more that one occasion while working on it.
                            Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                            I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by digge View Post
                              I would have a look at the back of the display and look for manufacturer/model. Most of the time you can buy the same display for roughly half price compared to buying from the laptop manufacturer.
                              I've never ordered a screen from the laptop manufacturer... Always grab one off eBay from some importer in NYC.
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

What are solder barrels for? I was unsoldering a broken audio jack and the jack came out with this cylindrical copper-colored thing around the pins. The new jack I put in didn't work at all. I'm thinking those barrels actually did something.
                                Thru-hole plating?
                                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  Uh, weren't those the vias in the board?
                                  yes.

rip the entire hole liner out like that and you can kiss that part of the PCB goodbye...

what happens is after drilling and before etching, they plate the vias and through holes with copper... then they etch the board... that "barrel" was essentially a trace.

the reason for this is that is a few things:

1. stronger though-hole joint (copper to copper is stronger than copper to solder)

2. solder has a relatively high resistance compared to copper and other trace materials.. increasing the surface are of the copper reduces this effect.

3. getting solder to reliably wick to such thin traces on the inner and top layers of the board is difficult, especially when boards are mass produced in a wave solder process... the plating ensure all layers have a good connection to the component lead.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info...

In retrospect, what I should have done, with my limited equipment, is take the cover off the jack and solder some wire to the jack contacts or even run the wire from the jack leads underneat to a female jack routed outside the case...

Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

friends sons ipod touch 4th generation.

Was going by youtube video, heat, cut the glue, take off. easy (well mostly easy, even with a phone pry tool). Taking off the metal plate that sits ontop of the motherboard, when for some reason, THIS ipod touch 4th generation has glue keeping them together, not something shows in the video. pulled the board up, snapped the ribbon cable hooking to the buttons on the side. Ok mybe I could replace THAT. Didn't realize in the cursings of mine that the power connector from the battery (actually it looks like a ferrite filter that sits next to the battery) has beenz pulled off too. you live you learn. and lean apple devices might neat, but a pain to take apart, as with a lot of phones/pdas
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

My 4th gen Ipod randomly stopped working one day, the chips inside somehow fried themselves. But when I took it apart, the lcd screen went 'click', and it had a nice big crack in it. Oh well, the thing is dead anyways. xD

I lol'ed a lot, when I saw how tiny the battery is. Apple says it will make the Ipod play for 24 hours straight, but that is a big lie, it would never go more than 3 hours before dieing.

I am never buying an Ipod again xD I just feel dissapointed, also that the thing costed like $200 bucks, and lasted almost 3 years of not much use.

Made in China.
                                        :P

-Ben
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                        X