Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung FP-T5084 - Solved one problem, now have another (Clicking, Blinking LED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung FP-T5084 - Solved one problem, now have another (Clicking, Blinking LED)

Originally posted by illin407 View Post
    Unfortunately, no. Will RadioShack carry such a resistor? In any event, it is 7:30am where I am, and the earliest any electronics supply store will be open near me would be 9am; however, I am currently on medication and cannot drive myself, so it may take me longer to find someone to take me to a place where I can purchase one.
    RadioShack will carry them, I think. Is there a part # such as BN44-999999 on your power supply board, where the "9"s are any digit or letter? I can get a schematic and check if just jumping it straight to the ground pin is safe for the power supply; it probably is, I just don't want you to burn anything out.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Re: Samsung FP-T5084 - Solved one problem, now have another (Clicking, Blinking LED)

According to my source, you don't need any resistors to force poweron any Samsung power supplies - but they are seemingly not as knowledgebale as the folks on here

Comment

Before I receive instructions on how to manually turn on the power supply, does the main board need to be connected to anything at all for this diagnostic test? Right now it is completely out of the TV and not connected to anything to make getting to the control board easier.
        Sorry, missed this question. For this test, the mainboard is actually disconnected. You also want to make sure any cables that go from any other component to the mainboard (such as TCON -> Mainboard cable) is also removed from the other end.

Leaving them attached + power + open connector leads = no fun

Comment

The part number for the power board is BN44-00175A. It may be the middle of the week before I have time to go and buy the resistor. In all honesty, how likely is it that there is something wrong with the control board? I have a feeling that this has to be a power supply unit problem for a few reasons: first of all, the blown fuse, and secondly, the fact that after being plugged in, the amount of time in between its attempts to fire up decreases with time until it no longer even makes any sounds and I'm left with the blinking power LED. I would almost rather it be the power board as its an easy swap, and we've eliminated it being a(n easily detected) problem with the sustain boards...so am I somewhat safe in assuming its either a PSU or control board issue?

Comment

Samsung's documentation is very limited

http://www.tgohome.com/ServiceManual...&Search=Submit
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Just an update:

I got impatient, took a leap of faith, and bought a refurbished main power unit board for the set from partstore.com for $75. Swapped the board in, and what do you know...the set fired right up, good as new. I kept the old board just as a backup, but just out of curiosity, is it likely that the problem with the old board is a bad capacitor? I have visually inspected every capacitor on the board, and there is definitely no bulging or liquid escaping from any of them. However, when I attempted to power up the TV with the old board in it, I notice that there is a very high pitched whine coming from the old board that is not present with the new one. Any ideas of where to start looking? I would like to possibly repair the old board to have as a backup, especially because this set seems to have relatively common problems with the power supply boards.

Comment

My guesses would be:
                - Failed startup cap - they never bulge
                - Shorted diode
                - Protection circuit operating when it shouldn't

Comment

Guys, this is a great thread. I have the exact same issue (clicking and cycle on/off). Samsung wants $100 to come look at the TV + $80 flat labor + parts (i dont know how much they'd charge for say a new power board). At that point I'd just buy a new TV, but this one has sentimental value and if I can save it for $100-$150, then great!
                  I havent done all of the trouble shooting contained here, but am inclined just like the OP to think its the power supply.

I just want to clarify with the OP the following:
                  You purchased part number BN44-00175A, and the issue was solved? These are selling on ebay for approx $75. heres one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-PN50...item19cb1eddfa
                  Worth trying?

Just an update:

I got impatient, took a leap of faith, and bought a refurbished main power unit board for the set from partstore.com for $75. Swapped the board in, and what do you know...the set fired right up, good as new. I kept the old board just as a backup, but just out of curiosity, is it likely that the problem with the old board is a bad capacitor? I have visually inspected every capacitor on the board, and there is definitely no bulging or liquid escaping from any of them. However, when I attempted to power up the TV with the old board in it, I notice that there is a very high pitched whine coming from the old board that is not present with the new one. Any ideas of where to start looking? I would like to possibly repair the old board to have as a backup, especially because this set seems to have relatively common problems with the power supply boards.

Comment

It did indeed solve my problem. I was lucky enough to find a refurbished one for around that price from BestBuy's offshoot parts website partstore.com, but upon searching for the same part, as of tonight they only have new, unused power supply boards in stock for ~$250. The thing that worried me about the eBay models I looked at is that they don't look like the board that came out of the back of my set; that being said, that obviously doesn't automatically imply that they won't work, I'm just unsure of quality, etc. Sorry for the lengthy time in between responses...I've been busy at work, and when I'm not there, busy enjoying my like-new plasma display (I have an Intel WiDi-supported notebook, so I bought a base station for it and hooked it up via HDMI to the set and watch Netflix on it all the time.)

Anyways, let me know if you've resolved your issue or what your course of action you're taking/took and I'll try to check back in more frequently if you have any more replies,

Comment

Thanks illin...
                      I actually purchased the part from partstore.com...probably bought the last refurb! I threw it in, and all is well! Hardest step was taking that heavy ass thing off the stand safely (I was alone in the house, and even if my wife was there, it probably weighs as much as her!).

So thank you, the process was easy to do. I had trouble getting the back off, didnt realize that the lugs for the VGA screws could hold the whole thing on and prevent my from taking it off. Once I did that, no problem.

Comment

Well congrats on getting lucky and finding a refurb power board from a source that can probably be trusted a little more than eBay. The VGA lugs stumped me as well when I was removing the back cover! And yes...this set is incredibly heavy as are all plasma's; I luckily had the help of my younger (and much stronger than I) brother to help to me move it on and off the wall. Hopefully the new power board gives you at very least a few more years of plasma set enjoyment, because from what I hear, it seems to be the Achilles' Heel of this particular set. At least now we now a cheaper and not-extremely-difficult alternative to having it serviced by a Samsung dealer or repair shop!

Comment

Dear Tom
                          I re_open this thread as my Samsung PS50P91FH (Same configuration as FP-T5084, same power board, just different in INPUT ports) have same problem. It cannot turn on, no standby LED, no blue light, just silence as it dead.
                          Eye check, all caps are OK.
                          As I think some thing is wrong with standby circuit (which use a DM0565R), I have changed 2 x 2200uf, 10V. Still silence

I measure the voltage of standby (Pin 3-GND_STB and pin 4-STBY on CN801 on above picture) and it is 3.3V.

Now comes the question:
                          1. Is 3.3V correct? or it have to 5V
                          2. Is there are way to manually turn on the power board as I already took it out?

Comment

Can you check the standby pin with the main board disconnected?
                            Some newer TVs may use 3.3V, but most common is 5.2-5.4V standby on a Samsung.

Comment

Yes, I have checked with all connector are disconnected, only AC in

Comment

In addtional, this TV is 2007 series, it should be older than T5084 one.
                                Last edited by Viking; 12-18-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Found out that the Standby should be 5.2V as printed on the board:

Tried many things in standby area: replace standby rectifier, replace OPTO, replace all capacitors... still no luck, the STBY voltage stuck at 3.3V

Is there any idea?

Comment

As wrote above, the power board has low standby voltage (3.3V instead of 5.2V), some thing goes wrong on flyback circuit, it control by an SL432 shunt reference ()
                                    Cannot find replace part on local shop, I decided to create a flyback circuit myself with more popular shunt KA431, it look stupid:

But, voilĂ , work like a charm:

Finally, I get it up and running, save hundreds buck

Comment

Impressive hack! You might want to cover that circuit in tape. Also, replacing the KA431 (is same as TL431 I think) can sometimes fix this problem.

Comment

Hi Tom
                                        The circuit was covered with another layer (same as the underneath tape).

The origin shunt is SL432 which cannot find on local shop, hacked by a KA431

Comment

Ah, yes, SL432 uses a different voltage. My error. Strange that they would use that, over the more common TL431/KA431!
                                          Last edited by tom66; 01-02-2013, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X