Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: printer sent a bunch of e-mails!

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
    Yes . A very very elastic tape can do the job . Printer won't detect it from the first time and ask to replace cartridges , i replace it and control center show them full color .
    Although I'll never go back to ink (I'm hooked on toner now), perhaps this could help Uncle Al. Do you know how long your installed colour cartridges can last without drying up? I think his problem was not using it for a month or so and when he went to use it, the HP cartridges were dried up. Getting him to try and clean the heads using the software that comes with it is pretty much impossible.

He keeps infecting his PC with this "Adobe" malware shit. There's an ad that pops up saying you're Adobe Flash is out of date, please click here to update. It downloads some malware and he installed it. 4 months ago or so he brought me the PC because it was all messed up. He downloaded it and ran it something like 18 times. Finally, after I fixed it, I gave him a copy of our Norton (3 user license).

Our mutual friend Paul calls me and says Uncle Al called him yesterday saying he's having PC problems. His Adobe Flash needs updating but for some reason, Norton keeps blocking it. He wanted to know how to turn off Norton.

I don't know how many times I told him not to fall for that ad!!! I'm worried about him though, I think he just doesn't remember. Maybe he's starting to get alzheimer's or something. He's a really good guy.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Adobe flash player just had a recent update from 22.0.0.209 to 22.0.0.210 (the message comes up when you start windows), You could check off "never check for updates" or make sure to tell them to "uncheck" the Optional offers when upgrading.

Comment

R_J: re-read Spork's post.
        He is not taking about legitimate updates for Adobe Flash.
        But instead a virus popup masquerading as a real Adobe Flash update.
        (However I think the difference of a virus and the legitimate Flash Player is minuscule these days )

NEVER EVER turn of automatic updating for Adobe Flash, uninstall the crap if you don't want to use it!
        Take a look here why I say so: http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...sh-Player.html
        Total number of vulnerabilities : 892 Page : 1 of 18

Flash Player : Security Vulnerabilities (CVSS score >= 9)
        Total number of vulnerabilities : 742 Page : 1 of 15

83% of the vulnerabilities have a CVSS score of 9 or higher, that's remote code execution!!!

Nothing has changed in the last four years...
        http://www.techspot.com/article/616-adobe-flash-fail/
        Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-21-2016, 02:34 AM.
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          Adobe flash player just had a recent update from 22.0.0.209 to 22.0.0.210 (the message comes up when you start windows), You could check off "never check for updates" or make sure to tell them to "uncheck" the Optional offers when upgrading.
          Yeah but Norton shouldn't be blocking a legitimate Adobe Flash Player update, also, isn't Flash built into Chrome and gets updated when Chrome gets updated? That was my understanding...I thought when you ran Chrome, you didn't install the third party Adobe Flash Player.

I guess he could have switched back to IE or that Edge program but he was supposed to be using Chrome. Last time, he actually downloaded the malware something like 18 times and ran it. At least Norton thought it was malware (or maybe it was Anti-MalwareBytes or some program like that). At the time, he only had that free Microsoft security essentials. I guess the program could have detected it as a false positive but it just doesn't seem right. The way he describes it, it's a popup when he goes to certain sites. That was last time, not this time. I'll try to talk to him and figure out if it was real or not and we'll go from there. I know when I redid his system, I didn't put Adobe Flash on there, just Chrome. And when Paul had him go to the official Adobe Flash Player site to update / install Adobe Flash, it gave him a message that it was already installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
            R_J: re-read Spork's post.
            He is not taking about legitimate updates for Adobe Flash.
            But instead a virus popup masquerading as a real Adobe Flash update.
            (However I think the difference of a virus and the legitimate Flash Player is minuscule these days )

NEVER EVER turn of automatic updating for Adobe Flash, uninstall the crap if you don't want to use it!
            Take a look here why I say so: http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...sh-Player.html
            Total number of vulnerabilities : 892 Page : 1 of 18

Flash Player : Security Vulnerabilities (CVSS score >= 9)
            Total number of vulnerabilities : 742 Page : 1 of 15

83% of the vulnerabilities have a CVSS score of 9 or higher, that's remote code execution!!!

Nothing has changed in the last four years...
            http://www.techspot.com/article/616-adobe-flash-fail/
            Per Hansson, but this shouldn't be a problem so much with Chrome, right? My understanding was Adobe Flash was built-in but ran in a sandbox or whatever they're called, because of how insecure it was. Chrome let's the flash code execute and then watches it to see if it's doing something bad and if it is, it blocks it, right?

Comment

Working...
            X