Dell E772c - Wrong colors and flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell E772c - Wrong colors and flickering

This old monitor is going nuts. Sometimes it gives a decent picture, but it can also sometimes have a red, green, blue, or yellow tint. The change is sudden. When I started typing this, the monitor had a blue tint, and it suddenly changed to a yellow tint. Even when the colors seem normal, the background of this site is brown instead of gray.

Also, this monitor will start flickering sometimes. When it flickers, it seems to be alternating between having a red tint and a green tint rapidly.

Finally, I am sometimes unable to select options in the menu. I can open the menu and move between the menu options, but I can't adjust any values. It seems that the Menu/Enter button stops working when the menu is being displayed, but pressing it still brings up the menu. The menu is sometimes missing red or green and shows up as a solid blue box with transparent text.

It would probably be best to replace the monitor, but I want to see if there is anything I can repair like bad caps or bad solder joints. This is a CRT monitor.

Re: Dell E772c - Wrong colors and flickering

You have a signal board or processor issue. Check the board on the back of the tube for any damage, and check the processor area too. Getting a hold of the service manual will help.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I didn't expect it to have a service manual, but I found one. It is a 59-page .doc file written in Engrish.

Comment

I resoldered some points on the main board and the colors are better. I will have to use it for a while to see if it is fixed, but the background of this site is gray now. There is a slight blue/purple tint, but the colors are closer to what they should be.
        Attached Files

Comment

This monitor's original problems have returned. There seems to be bad soldering or a bad component on the neck board, but I can't get the metal shield off. There could also be bad caps. The caps are a mix of Elite, TL, HEC, and these.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
            There seems to be bad soldering or a bad component on the neck board, but I can't get the metal shield off.
            You need a 60W+ soldering iron with a large tip.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have a similar problem with mine. The picture,at times, starts flickering, colors stay ok, all controls work ok, I can adjust all of them. I did resolder entire main board and crt boards, but the flickering is still present at times.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                This old monitor is going nuts. Sometimes it gives a decent picture, but it can also sometimes have a red, green, blue, or yellow tint. The change is sudden. When I started typing this, the monitor had a blue tint, and it suddenly changed to a yellow tint. Even when the colors seem normal, the background of this site is brown instead of gray.

Also, this monitor will start flickering sometimes. When it flickers, it seems to be alternating between having a red tint and a green tint rapidly. This is a CRT monitor.
                The VGA cable is the suspect.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

There are a lot of people that have the same problem with this model of monitor.

Before I resoldered the board, the screen would have a red tint if the contrast was set below 60. That problem has been solved.

If the VGA cable was bad, I thought one color would be completely missing, not just darker than the other two colors.

Here is what the menu looks like. I already resoldered the OSD IC and the connector on the main board that leads to the video amp on the neck board.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I finally figured out how to remove the shield over the neck board. I found that most of the solder points for IC802 and the connector P804 were bad. I also found a bad cap at C812. The monitor now appears to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X