Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PhotoVu PV1960 Digital Frame Flashing Blue Light

Hello,

I'm asking for some help getting a 2006 PhotoVu PV1960 Digital Picture Frame up and running again. I'm pretty much a newb with electronics, but am not afraid to tinker when provided with good direction or instruction. I've provided as much information as I can in hopes of answering a lot of the initial questions and have attached some photos. I can provide more specific photos if requested.

BACKGROUND:
    PhotoVu manufactured high-end ($1500) digital picture frames from 2004 until they ceased production in 2010. Their web site (PhotoVu.com) is still up and running and provides downloads for repair manuals and their last software update. Their G1 frames consisted of a 19" IPS LCD (178º view) mated to an VIA EPIA ML6000 fan-less, mini-ITX motherboard, beautifully wrapped in the customer's choice of various hardwood frame and matt boards. Networked, either hard-wired or USB wireless stick, each frame has it's own IP address and on-board software for running the frame. The frame's software integrates with whatever photo management software you are running on your home computer (iPhoto, Photoshop Elements, etc.) and the ability to change various options for the frame (schedule, photo display timing, transition, background, etc) and adding photos to the frame's playlist is as simple as typing in the frame's IP address in your browser and making the changes. The PhotoVu frame also accepts and displays photos directly from USB flash drives and USB hard drives if you don't want to network it and use the integrated photo management software.

I purchased one of their first G1 frames (PV1910) in 2004 and ten year later, it still hangs on my living room wall and displays one of over 15,000 digital photos, every ten minutes, daily between 5am and 10pm.

A good friend of mine bought a later G1 version (PV1960) in 2006 and it worked until just after PhotoVu ceased operations in 2010. One morning the frame failed to power up and with no knowledge or place to have it repaired it was placed in his closet until last week, when he decided to give it to me for parts. Since none of the major components are available anymore, I thought having some spares would be a good idea.

WHAT I DID SO FAR:
    I took the frame apart (WTF? drilling out 18 rivets holding the LCD faceplate to the rear enclosure) and lifted up the LCD panel and faceplate. I immediately noticed there were two external black AC power adapter bricks along with the motherboard mounted within the rear enclosure. Connecting the frame's grounded plug to a wall outlet resulted in only one of the power adapter's green LED lighting up. The other power adapter had a faint glow to the LED and a clicking sound could be heard. The power light on the motherboard lit up, but the power light for the LCD panel card did not. The bad power adapter was connected to the LCD panel. The good power adapter to the motherboard. After removing the bad power adapter, I located an exact replacement #AD-1250B (INPUT - 100-240VAC 0.8A 50-60Hg, OUTPUT - 12V - 4.17A) and put that in, hoping for a "too-easy-to-be-true" solution to the frame's problem. I did crack open the plastic case of the bad power adapter and there was a light brown liquid that had leaked from a large capacitor and dried over much of the insides.

With the new power adapter installed, the blue power light for the LCD came on, but it was continuously flashing and the LCD screen was still black. I did check the screen in a dark room with a flashlight and could see no image. While I was googling "flashing blue power light on 19" LCD" and reading various online comments about capacitors that eventually led me to this forum, the LCD powered up (after about 20 minutes). The frame's software also loaded and the frame's first default photo displayed. I inserted a USB flash drive with a few photos into one of the USB ports and those photos began to display as a slideshow too.

There is a small push-button switch on the exterior of the enclosure that gives access to an on-screen, 10-option menu for things like powering the frame down, turning the display off, restart, reset to factory defaults, software update, etc). This switch was working as I was able to turn the display off and on and also power down the frame. Powering down the frame with the button resulted in the LCD light changing from bright blue to a bright orange-red. I was also able to immediately power the frame on again with this button.

BUT ALAS… after 10 minutes of use the LCD went black again and the bright blue power light turned to a dimmer red & blue light. Figuring it might be bad capacitors on the video board (although none of them are domed, but one has a very slight yellow stain on the vent X and another as a slight yellow tinge where the capacitor's outer jacket touches the vent top) , I ordered a full set of replacements. I have not installed the new capacitors yet.

I own a 40 Watt soldering iron, electrical solder, solder sucker, and a Digital Capacitance Meter. I also have access to a Multimeter.

CURRENT SYMPTOMS:
    After the frame as been off for a while (cools down?), I can plug the frame in to a wall outlet and the LCD power light will come on and continuously flash blue for about 20 minutes and then the LCD powers up, the frame's software loads and the first photo displays (but not the rest of the photos in the slideshow). I can then immediately unplug, then plug in the power cord again and this time the LCD will immediately power up (solid blue light), the software loads and it will run/display the complete photo slide show until it eventually shuts off after 10 minutes. The LCD stays on for only 10 minutes and then goes black and the power light turns from a bright blue to a less bright red & blue. The external push button switch does nothing at this time. If I unplug and then plug in the power cord again (immediately after the LCD goes black), the LCD power light glows a bright orange-red. The external push button switch does nothing at this time also. A quick peek inside the frame's enclosure shows that the LED light on both power adapters are on (bright green) and the power light located on the motherboard is also on.

All the capacitors are Fujicon, Those on the video board are all 16V 105ºC RM, in the following quanties/sizes (1) 470uf, (2) 220 uf, (2) 100 uf, and (4) 10 uf. The only capacitor on the inverter board is a 220uf 25V 105ºC RM.

What should I do next? Should I replace all the capacitors on the video board (and the one on the inverter board) and then see what happens? I don't think it is an issue with the motherboard, but then again, who am I to even suggest that. I think there's a good chance that this could eventually be a fully working frame again, but anything beyond replacing the capacitors, would most likely be above my head. I'm open to any suggestions or options that might lead to getting this baby revived. Thanks in advance for any help and take care!

Jim
    Attached Files

Re: PhotoVu PV1960 Digital Frame Flashing Blue Light

i see *nix! in picture 3 /off topic

that capacitor is in the power circuit is cooked, i would be willing to bet most caps been damaged by the main filter failing on the brick, replace all the large caps around that coil. i would also replace the small ones next to the white pin header that goes off to the inverter, they seem to run that switching mosfet in there.
    Last edited by goontron; 08-05-2014, 11:34 AM.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I have just read from current symptoms - I dont think you will get many helpers reading all that!! So goontron is probably correct.
      One test you could do is when it is doing that cold start try heating the capacitors with a
      hairdryer and see if it comes on quicker. If it does then let it cool and try heating in sections to pinpoint the likely problem area
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. Sorry about the length on the post, but I just wanted to get all the info out there in as much detail as possible. It's either… "God Is In The Details" or "The Devil In The Details. Oh well!

Two quick follow-up questions…

(1) As long as my replacement capacitors are the same uf, V, temperature, dimensions and lead spacing, do I need to worry that they are not labeled "RM"? Most of my replacement capacitors (Nichicon) are printed with "VZ(M)". Just checking before I start replacing them.

(2) Should I go ahead and replace the lone capacitor on the inverter board too?
        Last edited by red kiosk; 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Nichicon VZ is a general purpose high temp cap and I would not use them for this application. I would use panasonic FR FM or FC in that order if you can get them in the same physical size. I would also replace the one in the inverter as if it goes bad it is likely to take other parts with it.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            Nichicon VZ is a general purpose high temp cap and I would not use them for this application. I would use panasonic FR FM or FC in that order if you can get them in the same physical size. I would also replace the one in the inverter as if it goes bad it is likely to take other parts with it.
            +1 err, what happens if the inverter cap goes out?
            i have an elo touchscreen im working on now with a similar inverter.
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Thanks for quick replays all! Looking up Panasonic capacitors on Mouser.com right now. I'll keep you updated on this project.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                +1 err, what happens if the inverter cap goes out?
                I didnt actually look at this inverter but many inverters have had mosfets that fail. Apart from the heat in that section I can only think it is due to caps - some actually show as bulged /leaky.

Comment

You should also remove that bad brown glue (on the TOROID inductor of the switching supply) off the board before the traces get eaten away.
                  Is the AC adapter rated at 12VDC?
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                    You should also remove that bad brown glue (on the TOROID inductor of the switching supply) off the board before the traces get eaten away.
                    Is the AC adapter rated at 12VDC?
                    I was wondering about that too. Actually thought something may have leaked. What is the best (safest) method to remove that glue?

The replacement power adapter is:

#AD-1250B (INPUT - 100-240VAC 0.8A 50-60Hg, OUTPUT - 12V - 4.17A)

Thanks for looking things over!

Comment

goontron, selldoor & budm,

Many thanks for all your help. The new capacitors arrived yesterday and I installed them this morning (first time ever installing capacitors). All is well with the photo frame as it powered up right away and has been running for the past three hours. I was even able to download and install the latest software PhotoVu had available before they ceased operations.

For the price of a new power brick ($12), 10 capacitors w/ shipping ($8), and some invaluable Badcaps.net Forum help, I have another working $1500 digital photo frame. Thanks again and take care!

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Would you be able to give me a call regarding repair of my PhotoVu unit. Based off this discussion it sounds like you may be someone who may be able to repair my unit as I am having some of the same symptoms you have mentioned here.

Don 574-527-4877

Comment

Working...
                        X