Increase the capacitance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increase the capacitance?

If this is covered elsewhere in the forum I apologise - I didn't see it.
    I have a board and some of the nichicon HZ's to replace the rotten chemicons.
    I have an Asus P4P-800VM - in which I installed some crap caps I had around to make it run - I'm posting with it here.
    My question is with regard to increasing the capacitance value total on the VCore stuff.
    The mb itself has 10 footprints on the PCB for this, but the mfg only populated 6 of them with 1500uF values.
    It's possible that the designer had 1000uF's in mind when he laid it out??
    Has anyone had much experience with increasing the total value by using the vacant footprints?
    Is it wise?

Re: Increase the capacitance?

i usually fill the open spots.
    i am not a bean counter and my clients want reliability and durability not cheap.
    never had a problem and the extras share the ripple.longer life and cleaner supply voltages.

Comment

Thanks for the experience.
      My only real concern was the 'sequencing' of various aspects of the board arriving at working V's on powerup.

Comment

Originally posted by IMM View Post
        My only real concern was the 'sequencing' of various aspects of the board arriving at working V's on powerup.
        All Vin caps and all Vout caps are in parallel, no problem.

That's a nice board, at least when it's running well.

Asus was cheap, as usual, leaving out caps on that one. Those are much better when they have all their caps, especially with a Prescott.
        Last edited by kaboom; 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM.
        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
        Originally posted by shango066
        All style and no substance.
        Originally posted by smashstuff30
        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          i usually fill the open spots.
          i am not a bean counter and my clients want reliability and durability not cheap.
          never had a problem and the extras share the ripple.longer life and cleaner supply voltages.
          Same here, the engineers wanted them there for a reason. I always fill the empty spots. Never had a problem.

Comment

Engineers will have a total capacitance in their design, it's just money saving that leaves some parts unpopulated. Or the CPU uses less current than expected. Usually a "cost improvement" project looks at what the minimum number of caps is required and Production goes with that.
            I would put them all in, it means less stress to each one.

Comment

Working...
            X