Turboexpress components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turboexpress components

I was removing a coil on the board to get a SMD cap removed and two of the pins detached from the inside of it. I also managed to wipe a cap off the board when I was desoldering the coil pins. It might be stuck in the metal pad I wipe my iron off with. When I was removing the adhesive they put on the DC jack a piece took off part of another small coil.

Anyone know what I can do about the large coil/inductor? I have been looking for parts but I cant find any dead boards.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram with the value of the cap?

Does the small coil look like it needs to be replaced or can I leave it? The wire looks like it still attached.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Turboexpress components

what is this board exactly?

Comment

Its from a NEC Turbo Express Handheld.

I found the SMD stuck to my solder braid and I talked with someone that said I could find the transformer on a SEGA game gear. If you can think of where I can find a replacement without spending $40 on another handheld. There are no damaged TurboExpress boards around right now. The non working systems sell for almost $200, recapped ones go for $400

Where do I get the white/black adhesive that is covering parts of the board? The black stuff looks like RTV silicone. In the top left of the third pic, there was a bunch of the white stuff covering the coil and in between the SMD caps.

Thanks

Comment

dont use RTV, it's acidic.
        the purpose of the black is to insulate the high voltage circuits for the backlight, you dont really need it.

the transformer, if it is like a gamegear is also a stepup for the ccfl lamp.

so, does it work other than the backlight? because if not then you have other issues.

Comment

I am waiting on a new DC jack and then I will be able to test it.

Comment

Order 6v instead of 16v caps will take a few more days. Is it safe to test it out with the transformer connected?

Comment

if you keep your fingers out of it

Comment

A faulty Game Gear should cost less than $10 They suffer from bad caps so the coil will be fine.

Comment

I picked up 2 game gears for $17. The Transformer worked perfect.

Should I cover that coil that was covered in the adhesive? Electrical tape/kapton tape?

Comment

i wouldnt bother unless it makes a high pitch sound.

Comment

Working...
                    X