Ammeter woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammeter woes

OK, now that Kiriakos is gone, I think we can safely talk about cheap(er) meters.

Basically, I've been experimenting with a few digital ammeters on the load tester. The last one I've tried was one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Meter-An.../dp/B001B6N2WK. It works great at 12V. With a 5ohm (2.4A) load, it reads 2.38A - probably nothing that can't be explained by small losses in the wires and some tolerance in the resistors.

on the 3.3V rail, though, it's not as accurate - with a 0.33ohm (9.7A once you factor in the vreg) Load, it reads 8.3A - off by 1.4A (and yes, it is being powered by an external 12V supply).

So, here's the question - what would be a decent panel mount ammeter to use that offers reasonable accuracy at low voltages and can measure up to the 35A my load tester is capable of pulling on the 3.3V rail?

I was thinking about using these - http://au.element14.com/murata-power...ter/dp/1339334, as they are intended to work with a separate power supply to the one which is powering the measured load. However, 8V is listed as the minimum supply voltage. Would they work accurately when measuring lower voltages if they were powered by a higher voltage (like 12V)?
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: Ammeter woes

aww, i missed Kiriakos getting the boot? where was the thread that it happened?
    as for the meters i don't see why that panel mount wouldn't be accurate.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Re: Ammeter woes

^
      It was here - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...959#post467959

I don't know either. It just seems to have some trouble with low voltages
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
      X