X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by SIDMX View Post
    +1

I've never seen Teapos with that Jamicon-like vent and i'm not aware of TEAPO being inconsistent with the vent marks in their caps so they do look fakes to me.
    I have seen that before:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1287520598
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...5&d=1287520598
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1287520598
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1287520598

Comment

Oh, i see now, you are right.

And those pics remember me that i do have seen blue Teapos with those vents before in a very old compaq PSU.
      Still this is my first time seeing the green ones with those vents.
      Teapo used to use those vents on those dates? ...Or that was just a rare event ?
      Last edited by SIDMX; 05-10-2012, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Maybe it is related with the merge with G-Luxon. G-Luxon use those vents.

Comment

Yeah Teapo and CapXon bought half of the world's crappy brands. Thats the only reason there is less of them than used to be:-D
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Got some more units to show:

Pic 1: VERY OLD Lead Year Enterprise TG-200X 200W ATX power supply
            Has a bridge rectifier and input filtering, unknown cap brands. It's so old, the 92mm fan blows into the PC case instead of the power supply.

Pic 2: Achieve AX250 250W ATX power supply
            Has 4 diodes, one filter coil, "VIVA" caps everywhere. I'm guessing it's an L&C.

Pic 3: Thermaltake Purepower ISO-400 300W ATX12V power supply
            Has a bridge rectifier and input filtering, JunFu caps everywhere. It's probably one of the best built Channel Well's I've ever seen.

What do you think?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ncovert; 05-10-2012, 12:15 PM.

Comment

The first one is definitely overbulit for 200W. I am impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                The first one is definitely overbulit for 200W. I am impressed.
                Interesting. Do you think it could do a little more then that?

Comment

Got another unit in...
                  It's a Dell/Hipro HP-P1457F3 145W power supply from 1999. Yes, it has the goofy non-standard Dell pinout on the ATX connector. Caps are all Teapo.
                  Attached Files

Comment

DVE Electronic DSP-1454P 200W AT power supply
                    Has 4 diodes , but input filtering. Matsushita primary caps, and a mix of Jamicon and CapXon on the secondary.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
                      Interesting. Do you think it could do a little more then that?
                      The transformer seems capable of doing 350W+. The input caps are big enough. If they are 680uF the can do 350W.

The total power depends on the switching transistors, the secondary rectifiers and the output caps.

Comment

The transformer seems capable of doing 350W+. The input caps are big enough. If they are 680uF the can do 350W.

The total power depends on the switching transistors, the secondary rectifiers and the output caps.
                        Primaries are 470uF, so what do you think it can do?
                        Also, how do you tell what a PSU can do by the primary caps?

Comment

Primaries are 470uF, so what do you think it can do?
                          Also, how do you tell what a PSU can do by the primary caps?
                          2x:
                          220uF ~ 100-200W
                          330uF ~ 200-240W
                          470uF ~ 240-275W
                          560uF ~ 275-300W
                          680uF ~ 300-370W
                          820uF ~ 370-430W
                          1000uF ~ 430-500W+

depending on the design

Those values are without Active PFC.

Comment

2x:
                            220uF ~ 100-200W
                            330uF ~ 200-240W
                            470uF ~ 240-275W
                            560uF ~ 275-300W
                            680uF ~ 300-370W
                            820uF ~ 370-430W
                            1000uF ~ 430-500W+

depending on the design

Those values are without Active PFC.
                            Thank you. Is there any way to swap out caps or would that kil it?

Comment

Thank you. Is there any way to swap out caps or would that kil it?
                              I replace primary caps with bigger ones all the time without any problem

Comment

I replace primary caps with bigger ones all the time without any problem
                                So you think I could swap out the 470uf's with 680uf's?

Comment

That psu has a label of 200W. Before changing the primary caps you should make sure how many watts the psu is capable of doing. To do that you need to check its switching transistors, secondary silicon and output capacitors.

Comment

Yes.
                                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The rule of ~1uF/watt works well - divide by two to get uF because the caps are in series.
                                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

A friend brought me a Chieftec Cft-750-14c. He got it in 2007 and it wasn't opened ever since. This psu was literally stuffed with dust. The fan couldn't move and the unit was shutting off. It was easy to clean it with air compressor and a brush. Suprisingly caps look ok. Hitachi primary and Samxon secondary. Take a look at the soldering... this is how it came out from Channel Well...
                                        I haven't touched it up since my friend was already in shock that I opened the unit up He took it back so it's going to work like this.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

CWT aren't exactly known for good soldering. I probably would have checked the screws for the heat sinks. CWT often don't do them up tight enough and don't use any thread lock on them.
                                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X