SAMSUNG PS64E550 not starting - stuck in standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAMSUNG PS64E550 not starting - stuck in standby

I would appreciate some leads - I'm having trouble narrowing in on the problem.

Symptoms, when connected to mains, will display red STBY light on the front of the TV, but when I attempt to turn it on via the remote or the TV press-button it briefly goes off and then back on again (less than 1 second) back to a steady red STBY light (ie. no sequence of error flashes). When this happens there is the sound of a relay activating - sounds like a single click but based on my testing it looks like it closes and then opens very shortly afterwards.

Samsung 64” Plasma TV, Model: PS64E550D1MXXY.
    SMPS Power Board: BN44-00515A
    Logic Board: LJ41-10272A
    Main Board: BN41-01802A
    X-MAIN: LJ41-09452A
    Y-MAIN: LJ41-09453A
    Y-Buffers: LJ41-010270A, LJ41-010271A

Overview image of board layout: PS64E550_overview_annotated.jpg

Connector CN801 Pin-outs: PS64E550_Connector_CN801.jpg

Connector CN802 Pin-outs: PS64E550_Connector_CN802.jpg

==============
    Voltages measured with multimeter/digital-oscilloscope at CN801/CN802 on the SMPS:
    ==============
    STBY Voltage: Sits at ~5.3V and then drops to ~3.7V every time the power button is pressed (refer to scope data PS64E550_Main_connected_15V.bmp)

PS_ON: Sits at ~3.3V until I press the power button, it then drops to just above 0V for about 250mS before rising to ~3.9V for ~250mS and then returns to ~3.3V again (refer to scope data PS64E550_Main_connected_PS_ON.bmp which shows where I pressed the power button 3 times about 1.5 seconds apart).

D5.3V: Sits at 0V and then briefly rises to ~4.4V every time the power button is pressed (refer to scope data capture at PS64E550_Main_connected_D5_3V.bmp).

VS_ON: 0V
    VS_CON: 0V, with some noise spikes of up to about 0.8V (pos. and neg.)
    15V: peaks to ~12.6V when button pressed and then drops down towards 0V slowly until the power button is pressed again (refer to scope data capture at PS64E550_Main_connected_15V.bmp).

The GREEN LED light on the Logic board does NOT flash, even briefly.

===================
    If I disconnect the cable between the SMPS and the Main Board and short the PS_ON to GND (Pin#1 to Pin#4), I can hear the relay clicking on and off with about a 1.5-second interval. While the relay is briefly on (<1 second) I can measure the following (measured at the CN801 cable):
    STBY: short dip in voltage - to ~4.0V, then down to ~0.25V then up to ~1.6V for about 0.5secs and then a dip down to ~0.25V briefly before returning up to ~5.6V (refer to scope data PS64E550_Main_disconnected_STBY.bmp)

PS_ON: 0V (because it’s shorted to GND)
    D5.3V: short peak in voltage - my scope shows it steps up to about 4.5V, a drop to ~4.0V for ~200mS and then ramps down more-or-less linearly to about 0V in the next 200mS, remaining low until the start of the next 1.5-second cycle (refer to scope data PS64E550_Main_disconnected_D5_3V.bmp)

15V: short peak in voltage: my scope shows it steps up to about 14V, a drop to about 12.5V for ~200mS and then ramps down more-or-less linearly to about 7.5V before the next 1.5-second cycle takes it up to about 14V again (refer to scope data PS64E550_Main_disconnected_15V.bmp).

VS_ON: 0.0V
    VS_CON: 0.0V, but seems to have some spikes of 0.9V on this line (refer to scope data PS64E550_Main_disconnected_VS_CON.bmp).

==============

If I disconnect the Logic board from the SMPS and jumper the VS_ON to the D5.3V pin (with the Main board disconnected and PS_ON shorted to GND at CN801 as before), I seem to get all of the VS (220V), VA(55V) voltages ok.

I cannot find any circuit diagrams or start-up sequence info for this TV, and I’m not sure what is causing the start-up sequence to fall over in my case. Anyone have any hints as to what I can look at. Is it just that I’m not getting the correct supply to the Logic Board?

Regards,

Tiny68
    Last edited by tiny68; 06-05-2016, 08:14 AM.

Re: SAMSUNG PS64E550 not starting - stuck in standby

Disconnect the supplies to the X and Y boards and see if the voltatges come up on the power supply.

Edit
    You can also check the resistance (set off) between VA, VSC, VE etc to ground and see if there's a short. Also if any of the fuses have blown on any of the boards.
    Last edited by dick_barton; 06-05-2016, 08:30 AM.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Disconnected the cable at CN805 and there was no difference to VS_ON or VS_CONF.. Vs, Va etc all still dead.

Checked for shorts to earth at test points for Vsch, Vscan, SVC_VS, SVC_YOUT on Y-Main and VS, VE, VERC at CN5002 on Y-Main (while connected to X-Main) and all resistances were > several hundred k-ohms up to several M-ohms.

Tested F801s and F802S on SMPS and F5000 on Y-Main and they are fine. I'm not sure if there are any others I need to look at?

Comment

Hope this may be of some use to you.
        Attached Files

Comment

When you come out of standby does VS_CON change voltage?

Edit
          I see that you have already mentioned this. It rises but quickly drops off.
          Last edited by dick_barton; 06-05-2016, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I suspect you have a fault which is holding VS_CON off (0V) Are there IPM modules fitted because they have a tendency to fail otherwise check all the Mosfets and diode on those boards.
            Last edited by dick_barton; 06-05-2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

check QS802 and QS804,notorious for cracked solder joints and then self destruct due to that.
              Not sure if you can see shopjimmy,but here's the link for a repair kit:
              https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn...repair-kit.htm
              Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

If your standby voltage is dropping then I'd look at the power board for sure. Try getting a 50 ohm 1W resistor and loading the power supply with that - if it works with that try increasingly higher loads
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for the leads guys, I'll follow up tonight.

Tom, where should I be loading the power supply? At STBY?

Comment

I noticed that I had the incorrect image for STBY signal at the top of my post - it should be the following:

The voltage dips coincide with me pressing the power button.
                    Last edited by tiny68; 06-06-2016, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by martino View Post
                      check QS802 and QS804,notorious for cracked solder joints and then self destruct due to that.
                      Not sure if you can see shopjimmy,but here's the link for a repair kit:
                      https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn...repair-kit.htm
                      Martino, I checked QS802 andQS804 and the resistance is >2.8 Mohms between the center pin (Drain) and the two outer pins (Gate, Source).
                      I reworked the solder joints in this area and around the 6-pin current mode controller IC (3BR2565JF) on this same heatsink as I've read elsewhere that this may be a problem area (ie. under the white blob of stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by tiny68 View Post
                        Thanks for the leads guys, I'll follow up tonight.

Tom, where should I be loading the power supply? At STBY?
                        Yes I'd try loading the standby rail. It seems like your rail cannot support the full load for one reason or another, or the main board load is excessive.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom, I've loaded the STBY to GND starting with a 33ohm resistor and it remained at ~5.3V (albeit with small amount little extra noise). I reduced the resistance to 18ohm and it was still fine. At 10ohm it dropped off.

Comment

Update, I've found a low resistance on the on the D5.3V pins to GND at CN801 (approx. 33ohms) - I assume this is too low? I will chase it out to see if I can find any faulty components.

Later... perhaps not - this pin is connected to a bank of 4x 200ohm resistors connected in parallel to GND.
                            Last edited by tiny68; 06-06-2016, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I've connected the Logic board to my bench-top power supply and it draws approx. 340mA at 5.3V (nothing else connected, just sitting on the bench). The green LED flashes continuously. Does anyone know whether this current drawer is normal?
                              Last edited by tiny68; 06-07-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X