Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying a GPU capacitor...

Hi,

Due to fat fingers, I pulled a cap from an HIS Radeon 5770 GPU.

The graphics card still works fine, no artifacts or glitches under full load using Furmark.

I need some advice...
    1. Should I replace it at all?
    2. If I don't replace it, what kind of symptoms should I watch out for?
    3. Can anyone help me identify the specification of the capacitor?

Graphics card as it comes before fat fingers attack...

Pic showing the capacitor pins still in the PCB...

Same pic, different angle...

Pic showing underside of PCB with the cap pins coming through...

The cap itself...

Underside of cap...

Your expert advice would be most appreciated.

Re: Identifying a GPU capacitor...

Looks like a 100uf, 16v cap. Perhaps a solid polymer one.

Comment

Diameter? Height?

6.3 x 10.5 mm:
      http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-3053-ND

8 x 11.5 mm:
      http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-3716-ND

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I'll measure it up when I get home and post back.

So is it a polymer aluminium cap? Any idea of manufacturer? Definately a 100uF 16v?

The only reason I ask for confirmation is that I have seen some manufacturers shift the decimal place on the rating e.g. 10 = 100uF, 100 = 1000 uF etc.

Sourcing one and replacing it (assuming I need to) in the UK will be straight forward. It is the identification that is tricky.

Comment

If its working without it, it cant posibly we worse to put the wrog one on

Comment

Yes
            Whoever was cheapest at the time they built the board.
            Yes

Would be an odd value on the drain of that FET next door. If in doubt, remove another from the board and measure it.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

I've measured the cap as best I could (I can't find my micrometer).

It is 8.5mm tall with a diameter of a touch over 6mm. I haven't been able to remove the card yet to see if there are others of the same spec on the PCB.

When you say remove another cap and measure it, I assume you mean measure it with a multimeter to determine its' value?

Comment

No. A capacitance meter. If you want to verify that the markings match the capacitance.

Yes, some manufacturers mark them differently. Other's values are -as- printed.

100 = 10uF
                101 = 100uF
                102 = 1000uF
                470 = 47uF
                471 = 470uF
                etc.

I don't believe that's the case here given the size of the cap's can and positioning in the circuit.

Toast
                veritas odium parit

Comment

That cap is likely Lelon OCRZ series, which is a polymer capacitor:

I see a lot of them on HIS cards.

16V 100uF is 6.3 x 8 mm. 10 mOhm ESR, 4500 mA rated ripple current.

For a replacement, you want the same or less ESR, and the same or more ripple.

This may be a tricky cap to locate a replacement for. OCRZ has very good specs for its size. That said...I see through-holes for a larger size cap. If you use the holes with the larger spacing and move up to 8mm diameter, an appropriate replacement is much easier to find. One possibility:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-3716-ND

I see you are in the UK. I tried the Farnell site, but didn't find anything there that would work as a replacement for OCRZ.

Comment

The same one I posted in response #3 above. I also offered another smaller choice.
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                      The same one I posted in response #3 above. I also offered another smaller choice.
                      The smaller one you linked has a much higher ESR and a much smaller ripple.

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                      ...<snip> For a replacement, you want the same or less ESR, and the same or more ripple.</snip>
                      Based upon what yyonline said, how important is it?

I am trying to source one with the right rating and the right size if possible although the larger size is an option. How confident can I be that the through-hole for a larger cap is actually for that cap and not on another circuit?

By the way, you people are fantastic, thanks.

Comment

The second one. Since we -were- dealing with an unknown manufacturer, the first choice was more for fit. ( It's also better than what's there now.... )

Digikey 493-3716 - 7 mOhm & 5600mA

Check the lead spacing. The replacement is 3.5mm. You have another unused hole there that is for a larger diameter cap as the screen printing indicates. Either will do and just swing the cap to fit.

It's a better cap than the original, assuming Lelon.

Toast

Toast
                        Last edited by Toasty; 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM.
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Cool, thanks, just trying to find it now in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingers66 View Post
                            Based upon what yyonline said, how important is it?
                            Well, quite important. If you choose an inadequate replacement it will fail prematurely. The exception to this if the manufacturer used an "overkill" cap there that is far better than what is actually needed.

Originally posted by Fingers66 View Post
                            How confident can I be that the through-hole for a larger cap is actually for that cap and not on another circuit?
                            I'm 99.9% certain that it's the same circuit. Manufacturers often do this as it gives them more flexibility in sourcing parts. If you want to confirm, measure the resistance between the positive lead and the unused positive through hole. If you get no resistance between them, they're on the same circuit.

Comment

Working...
                            X