Sony CECH-ZED1U Playstation 3D LED TV - Two Red Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony CECH-ZED1U Playstation 3D LED TV - Two Red Flash

Well, after having read through this entire thread, I just wanna say KUDOS to all of you guys trying to sort this issue out. So glad there are people out there who would rather get this fixed than just walk away from it like SONY.

I am definitely interested in a solution for this and would pay good money for it! Especially if it will cost less than what ShopJimmy.com is charging for their repair to the MB ($80) Seeing as they only service the US and I only paid $100 for this TV last boxing day.

I wish I had more to contribute, but this is no where near my area of expertise. But should anyone be able to get me a fix, I'd gladly pay...
    Just wanted to show my support! Keep up the hard work!!!

Comment

Sorry for the double post.
      Also meant to say...

Kornwood: Are you still looking for a solution? If you are I will gladly contribute for the cure.

Comment

Any Update Guys ?

Comment

Hi Guys,

I just brought one of these monitors owned for about a week and now it is doing this same problem. Really gutted! Wish I had done more research now

Hope someone can find a fix soon!

Comment

As far as I am aware, if anyone happens to have a Raspberry Pi they can use it as a programmer for the EEPROM via the "flashrom" program. I might try it at some point, though I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to this sort of thing.

What confirmation do we have that it is in fact a problem with the EEPROM? I believe someone mentioned that an ebay repair person said it was the EEPROM, but do we know that the ebay guy was telling the truth? And if so, is it the only issue with it? And is it a faulty batch of chips, something wrong with the firmware itself, or is the chip just being run out-of-spec due to some flaw in the rest of the TV's circuitry?

EDIT: For reference (as I don't see the exact model in the thread), the chip is a Macronix 25L6406E, based on the model number on my set. Link to product details: http://www.macronix.com/QuickPlace/h...EPN=MX25L6406E

Link to datasheet: http://www.macronix.com/QuickPlace/h...Mb,%20v1.7.pdf
            Last edited by wabbiteh; 11-25-2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I've got a dead one too.

I'm a dummy, but I can't reconcile the idea that it's corrupt eeprom AND that a couple months of being unplugged can bring it back to life temporarily.

Is it possible that a couple of months in the cooler will temporarily restore a goofed eeprom?

Comment

Originally posted by smuddge View Post
                i have one of these also with same problem. what I have found is that I can get it to run again for a little while if i play with the power cable in the back of the monitor and get it to arc or make a clicking sound. Not sure why this works but everytime I play with the power cable and it clicks then next time i turn it on it works for a while. I am really hoping to find out what is wrong and try to fix it myself. Just wanted to ad this to the discussion in case it sheds some light on something else.
                Anyone who has had experience with this- is the other end of the cable plugged into the mains or not? And if the arc is somehow discharging something on the mainboard- how stupid would it be to just short the pins more directly. I guess touching both prongs on the other end of the power cable would be enough to do that if that worked.

Comment

My monitor CECH-ZED1U the same problem now still red blanking
                  maybe the problem the flash memory MX25L6406e corrupted , I DESOLDER THE CHIP U4 and read it by programmer the result empty all location FF maybe protect or erased ,
                  any one tried to save Bin file for mx25l6406e the programmer suppoer this chip
                  (USB TL866CS Universal Programmer from ebay around $50)

Anyone tried before read the chip please upload BIN file ..please
                  I will share what I have information about Sony CECH-ZED1U

thanks

note
                  1- when remove the U4 the monitor the same thing power on BLUE ,GREEN THEN FLASHING RED LIKE SEARCHING FOR BOOT LOADER SOFTWARE U4
                  2-When press the power the first goes to ic u404(w6703) near the usb connector this is power management microprocessor (include software inside c51 instruction )

Comment

If you are reading all FF then your problem is most likely either your programmer or the connection to the programmer, or that the chip is fried. I do not see any implication of security for read based commands for this chip. There are only 2 write protected sections of this chip, one being used to store serial number information and is only write once, the other being enabled and disabled by hard/software.

If you are having problems make sure your settings are correct for the chip in your programming software, and make sure your connections are correct as well.

Comment

Am loosing patience and interest...

Comment

Hi Guys,

Ok, I've ordered a programmer from eBay (TLS-866) because I have a few of these TV's I want to fix. One is working and the rest have that dreaded blinking light of death.

Here's what I've tried:
                        1. Copying the Serial EEPROM from the known good set (I had to desolder the chip to be able to read it).
                        2. Copied the info to a brand new (thanks digikey) serial EEPROM Macronix 25L6406E and installed it in a bad set.
                        Result: NO LUCK! Same blinking light of death

On the bad set, when I removed the serial eeprom and tried to read it, it came up with chip ID FF FF FF instead of C2 20 17 which is what it should identify itself with so in the case of the bad set it definitely had a pooched eeprom but replacing it didn't work.

Other things I've tried:
                        A. Holding a blank EEPROM in the known bad set and trying to boot it
                        B. Using the tv set as a toboggan because I'm in Canada
                        C. Googling til my eyes were sore

I'm really curious to know what shopjimmy does to fix these things!! I was hoping after reading this thread that it was the serial eeprom. I even went so far as to order the programmer from China/eBay. What happened to @kornwood and @jgramos?!

Comment

It seems as far as anyone knows here the EEPROM was/is the problem. We know that this isn't a complicated fix and that it has a high success rate on the repair since the repair services are being offered at a reasonable rate. I think you're also the first person here to have read out the EEPROM of a working set. Being that the EEPROM from the bad set didn't read properly then I think we're on the right track.

Logically I think we can conclude that one of the following is true:
                          1. The EEPROM data you copied from the working set is incompatible with the second one for some reason
                          2. The data was not copied fully/completely for some reason
                          3. Something else is broken and it was what originally damaged the EEPROM

Some things you could try:
                          1. Read back the new EEPROM in the bad set after testing it to make sure it has not been corrupted or blown up.
                          2. Put the copied EEPROM in the working set to see if it functions there proving you have a good working copy.

I know there are some people here that were stuck at having the EEPROM data from a working set to continue. If you are open to sharing the EEPROM data with the community here it might help get this working for everyone.

Comment

There is a FLASH and EEPROM on these sets probably. Make sure you do not mix the two up.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

SUCCESS!!

I did it to another unit and it's working fine. There must be additional things wrong with my initial "patient"

Observations:
                              1. Even if you reprogram the existing EEPROM with valid working code, it still will not work (in my case). You do need to replace the chip.
                              2. This goes a LOT quicker with the right tools. I didn't want to pull out my surface mount resoldering station so my first attempt was with a simple soldering iron. Very very time consuming that way.

Comment

Cool man nice work!

So you need to replace the EEPROM chip and flash it with the right code basically?

Im in New Zealand so it would be a real pain to try ship across the world for a fix

Comment

Any hope for getting the EEPROM data? I can get access to a programmer and shipping across the border isn't going to make this a cost effective option otherwise.

Also, just a heads up to keep you from running afoul of the mods here, the forum rules state:

...you are NOT permitted to advertise, link, promote, or plug your business on this forum in ANY way! NO EXCEPTIONS!!... This also includes using this forum's private message system to solicit business.

Comment

Please upload the bin file

we are hear to share the ideas and solve the problem together

please share the good bin file

thanks

Comment

Good work guys!
                                      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Ah - this is good news. We don't have to worry that there is some other mysterious problem with these sets to be found as well. You get the honor of being the first person after months of ongoing discussion to have successfully self-repaired one of these TVs. Now we know for sure what the issue is!

The mods here are pretty easygoing so I wouldn't worry about your other post since you've now acknowledged understanding the rules...

Comment

This is great news!

My set is currently working, or at least it was as of an hour ago. It's been dead off and on and I'm not sure what combination of shenanigans has been bringing it back from the dead each time.

For sets like mine, can the problem really be eeprom? That seems like a permanent problem, not an intermittent one.

Comment

Working...
                                          X