X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi,

Found this forum by google (what else could it be) by searching for "ESR measurement" and found it very helpful. More in the thread ..
    Born in Belgium in 1949 and married with a Thai and now living in Bangkok (retired).
    Master degree in electronics engineering KUL (Louvain) in 1973
    First job in power electronics, starting with thyristors end ending with IGBT's
    mainly developing / producing drives first for DC and later only AC
    For hobby free radio / development of transmitters / exciters and later satellite
    (member of www.sat4all.com forum) and of course electronic repairs (first take up the schematic and then repair) But now living in Bangkok, must start all over from zero. Satellite will be difficult because here in Happy Condo Ladphrao 101, a dish on the roof is not allowed ! And for repair must buy nearly everything new ..
    First thing to buy was a 50 MHz digital oscilloscope (Rigol). Power supply 30V / 5A is ordered (Hongkong and still waiting ... because Chinese new year)
    The only things I brougth from BE are my Weller soldering station and auxiliaries and my magnifying lamp (important at my age ;-)). My first repair now was a Zenith solid state short wave receiver from the years 70 for a friend here. Want to order also a frequency counter and a function generator
    and maybe a spectrum analyser (I had one in BE from the American Airforce)
    and some RF stuff. Because it is a hobby, I look for not too expensive ...
    So, I think this is enough as introduction.
    Greetings, Dany

Comment

introduction

i hope im doing this right as i do not want to start out in this forum on the wrong foot.my name is roger and i live in california.i try to fix things out of necessity rather than purchassing new.i have already gained much usefull info from this forum and hope to gain more.i hope this will satisfy my requirements for unrestricted access to this forum as i am a lousy typist.thanks

Comment

hello everyone

found this site when trying to fix my monitor (yes i know, sometimes buy a new one is cheaper )
        hope i can learn from this site

Comment

Hello!
          I've been in PC upgrade, build and repair for about 20 years and electronics a wee bit more than that.

I found myself getting directed here by googling various electronic repair questions so figured I might as well register. :-)

I am very impressed with the members and knowledge here, plus the community here is very nice and friendly.

Comment

My name is Tyrone Thompson and I teach Electronics at a vocational high school. Our school used to teach consumer electronic repair and I would like to do that, but my background is actually computer engineering so I am hoping to pick up some of the practical stuff on this site. I had been asked to look at some LCD TV's that others were being thrown away and noticed most were simply blown capacitors. I have successfully repaired a couple but I am a over my head with what we have gotten in recently and I am hoping to dig myself out with some help from this forum.

Comment

Hello my name is Leon, I live in Santa Cruz, CA. This is a great forum for researching my vast electronic problems. My first computer? Atari 400 or 800 I don't remember, then the Commodore 64 and now I use Windows 7 PC and MAC s. But most of my problems are with my Vizio LCD.

Comment

Hi everyone! I found this forum while searching for repair info on my Vizio VX32L LCD TV and I'm glad I found it. This is one of those high quality forums one can always come to for dependable information. Being a noob in electronic repair I will probably mess up my unit for good but will give it a shot nonetheless. See you in the forums!

Comment

Hi. Just registered and first post. Hope this is the correct place to post?
                  Trying to repair my Sanyo dp50747 no picture tv. Will search the forums for help.
                  Thanks for being here.

Comment

My turn! Greetings to all from the Bluegrass State. I'm an artist, which means I do about anything else for a living. I've built a half dozen or so PCs for friends and relatives, but this site gave me the nerve to attempt repairing (successfully!) a buddy's Dell e151fpb monitor. One 16v 1000uF cap later, and I'm a god. Please don't tell anyone otherwise.

Comment

My name is Al and I live in the Los Angeles area. I repair computers and printers, and have done some basic recapping of Dell Gx 270's, Dell and Aopen power supplies and some Acer monitors.

As I am seeing more opportunities for recapping and dc jack repair, I am hoping to learn more about the process. I am about to tackle a Mac G5 psu, and found a lot of great info here.

Thanks for the site!

Comment

Just joined the site today, and wanted to say HI to everyone. My name is Michael, and I am starting to become addicted to trying to repair LCD TV's with power problems. I hope for the popped caps, but a few I've had to get repaired. I hope that this site will help me out with that!

Comment

I found the site as I was trying to find what is wrong and my syncMaster after 3 cap replacement had no light.
                          Thanks for sharing all the info guys!! You are the best of the best

Comment

Hi my name is Matt and I live in south eastern South Dakota. I started playing with computers about 23 years ago at age 6 on an old Packard Bell Swan. I've been messing around with electronics since i could hold a soldering iron without burning myself or others. I've been trolling around here for a while now and thought I should introduce myself. Hope to learn what I can before I head back to school to work on getting my degree in Electrical Engineering.

Comment

Hi everyone my name is Michael, and I'm a retired Telco Tec. I found this site while trying to repair an aoc 27in lcd tv with less than 100 hrs on it. Was in bedroom and one day power lite went dark never to go again. It was a gift as I would never have purchased it. I found this site and am quite impressed with helpful members. It's nice to now know what can and cannot be repaired or if it should. Thanks for taking me on board, Mike

Comment

Hello to all in the BadCaps world! This is an amazing resource for everyone wanting to repair their own gear!

I have been interested in hobby electronics for many years but unfortunately have forgotten most of what I learned (had a microcomputer electronics course in 1993) recently I have been getting back into things and repaired my old busted PC/XT motherboard (battery corroded and took a section of motherboard with it) and now I am working on LCD's.

Hopefully I can add to the community as much as I get out of it!! Anyway see you in the forum!

David G

Comment

Howdy... ran across this site and thought this is exactly what I need. Self teaching myself and have a couple Intel Motherboards D865PERC that have issues as well as a monitor or 2..

Comment

Hello from the Hoosier state.
                                    I have little elect. experience(Am a electrician by trade) & associate degree in electronics many years ago. Found this site by Google search on monitor repair. Fixed 1 but looking to fix a touch screen now that was given to me.
                                    Looks like with the knowledge on this site I may be able to fix my second 1.
                                    Are you ready for some football? Superbowl here in my home state tomorrow. Hoping for a close scoring game.

Comment

Hello everyone!

Need to repair ANTEC Truepower 2.0 TPII 480/550.

Comment

Helo from Florida,

My name is Jim and am a retired network tech. I worked for a large drug co with a workdwide Cisco network.

Comment

Hi everyone. I've been a tinkerer since I was a wee little boy and have been encouraged by the number of times things 'just work' after being taken apart and reassembled again. I'm here because I've heard bad caps are often the culprit for failed electronics and if I can swap some caps and save some money that sounds like fun to me!

Comment

Working...
                                          X