Cap Identification please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap Identification please.

Hi, can anyone identify this cap please. It sits under the cpu heatsink on a Asrock 775i65g motherboard. Pc still works perfect but I want to replace the cap before it causes other problems.
    Attached Files

Re: Cap Identification please.

680uf 4v
    and you need to use a polymer cap that is not too tall or it will hit the heatsink.

Comment

Thank you stj. BTW do you happen to know the make of the cap? so I can match the specs.

Comment

no, just get a polymer - the spec will be far better than even the best electrolytics

Comment

You can get with 2.5 V too, that's gonna be on some Vcore rail.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Seeing how the thing vented, I wonder if it's an ultra-low impedance electrolytic in what looks like a polymer package.

Replacing it with a real polymer cap, really soon, would be good. Is anyone familiar with Jovian distributors?
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

hey flewpast' can we have a foto of the whole cpu area?

Comment

yes no problem, here you go.

VRM Input - 4x Nichicon HM 1000uf 16v A0632

VRM output - 5x Panasonic FJ 1500uf 6.3v + fake poly 680uf 4v
                Attached Files
                Last edited by flewpastjupiter; 07-22-2017, 04:02 PM.

Comment

what's the diameter of the bad cap - 8mm? 10mm?
                  and the height - for clearance.
                  Last edited by stj; 07-22-2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

The diameter is 8mm and height about 9mm.

Comment

order this.
                      http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/8392114/

Comment

ASRock 775i65G, somewhat strange PCB layout of rev. 2.04. Interesting board that is…

If you have any dead MoBo or graphics around, you can scavenge polymers from that, anything from 330 to 1000 uF 2.5-6.3 V would do, no need to go shopping for one piece. If you want better stability especially with overclocking, might as well fill those other two vacant positions, and the ceramics C1717 (?) to C1720.
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

This would be a great replacement too:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79

It's interesting to note that the older PCB revision on Asrocks website does not have any of these capacitor positions populated:
                          http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/775i65g/
                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-23-2017, 04:35 AM.
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation but I was thinking of ordering these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7149004/ with them being a bit more durable 5000hrs and the cap sitting under the heatsink.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                            ASRock 775i65G, somewhat strange PCB layout of rev. 2.04. Interesting board that is…

If you have any dead MoBo or graphics around, you can scavenge polymers from that, anything from 330 to 1000 uF 2.5-6.3 V would do, no need to go shopping for one piece. If you want better stability especially with overclocking, might as well fill those other two vacant positions, and the ceramics C1717 (?) to C1720.
                            Thanks for the reply. I've just had a look at an old Radeon 9700 pro and a Geforce 5900xt both are dead and all caps on them are surface mount ones.

If a 330 uf cap would definetally be enough I'll have another look on Rscomponents. Do you happen to know any ebay sellers that have genuine caps?

BTW what caps would be suitable to use in the two vacanct positions?
                            Last edited by flewpastjupiter; 07-23-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              This would be a great replacement too:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79
                              Thanks for the help, but I'm in the uk and the shipping cost isnt worth it, unless I was getting a large amount of caps.

Comment

Basically any combination of polymers, really. Of course generally regarding VCore VRM, the higher the capacity the better. On the other hand polymers have much lower ESR and higher RC than even the best wet lytics so that's why you an go down with capacity without issues.

If you can get some 820/2.5 V ones for cheap you can use those, that would be one of the best choices. On the other hand not that the CPU stability, which itself (any of the Core 2 architectures ones) could handle 1066 MHz FSB any day of the week, would be an issue here, unlike with the chipset which supports only 800 natively and 1066 indeed is overclock for it…

Would not kill 9800 Pro or 5900XT anyways, those are collectors items these days, one of the most powerfull cards of theirs generations. Especially if AGP

Anyway, I can send ya pulled polymers from here, always got some. I don't carry new ones yet as I have little use for them yet and still have income of some from all the dead boards
                                Last edited by Behemot; 07-23-2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flewpastjupiter View Post
                                  Thanks for the recommendation but I was thinking of ordering these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7149004/ with them being a bit more durable 5000hrs and the cap sitting under the heatsink.
                                  so what is the voltage on the board?
                                  you dont know - so why the 2.5v caps?

Comment

Socket 775 - gonna be well under 1.5 V. Even my 478 Press-hot only runs at 1.33 V.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      Would not kill 9800 Pro or 5900XT anyways, those are collectors items these days, one of the most powerfull cards of theirs generations. Especially if AGP
                                      I've just checked and its a 9700pro not 9800pro. I had it in the oven a few years ago to try to fix it and the 5900XT just BSOD's when windows loads.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      so what is the voltage on the board?
                                      you dont know - so why the 2.5v caps?
                                      I don't know the voltage, but I thought a 2.5volt cap would be ok for the cpu vcore.

Comment

what if it's not on the vcore?
                                        what if it's on the 3v3 line?

im not saying it's not on vcore - i'm saying dont assume anything without checking .
                                        not if you intend to downrate the parts anyway!

Comment

Working...
                                        X