Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hannspree hf237 problems

Hey all,

I recently aquired a Hannspree hf237 monitor for free (trash) anyways its in great condition except when the you turn on the monitor it powers up, lights on, screen image appears, then its like the lights go off. when i angle the screen i can still see the image.
    Upon first researching this issue i heard about the capacitors failing, i found a kit on ebay for $13, got it today in the mail, swapped out all the caps, and still same issue.
    Researching this issue even more (me finding this awesome site) i read someone saying they had similar issues and said it was bad CCFL's. I have also read that it can be the inverter board....
    My bro and I tore the screen apart and removed the lights and with the screen disassembled, powered it all up, lights come on bright, then go out.
    If the lights were bad would they light up at all?

and where can i find an inverter board?

kinda having trouble finding parts...

much thanks and any input greatly appreciated!

Re: Hannspree hf237 problems

Originally posted by GSXRchris85 View Post
    My bro and I tore the screen apart and removed the lights and with the screen disassembled, powered it all up, lights come on bright, then go out.
    If the lights were bad would they light up at all?
    The pwm inverter chip operates as an "all or nothing". It turns on all the ccfls briefly then monitors the status. If one ccfl is bad, the pwm inverter chip shuts down all the ccfls.

2 seconds to black is described in detail starting with post #19 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Likely candidates are

a) bad caps
    b) bad ccfl
    c) bad ccfl wiring
    d) bad inverter transformer

I suggest focusing on c) and d) following the guide.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

UPDATE:

with screen fully disassembled we tested both pairs of CCFL's. the one pair lights up fine for 2 seconds, then out.

the other pair, one light, lights up, and the other light is dead. and it makes buzzing noise.

i will be adding pics of the boards and CCFL's

Comment

the other pair, one light, lights up, and the other light is dead. and it makes buzzing noise.
        If you are lucky, maybe just the wiring is frayed and can resoldered back on. If the ccfl is actually broken, then you will need a replacement. Sample pictures of both are in the guide.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Update: Pix and vid!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Good clear focused pictures.

To rule out the inverter transformers as being bad, you can swap top and bottom ccfl connectors and see if the same ccfl remains unlit.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

you tube vid of CCFL power up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdwct...ature=youtu.be

Comment

TY Retiredcaps,

I just did the test you said, and my one good CCFL rack lights up good on both bulbs on both ccfl connections, and the other rack has the bulb out on both ccfl connections.

Comment

in the video, turn up the volume! you can hear the one CCFL rack with a dead bulb buzz

Comment

and it makes buzzing noise.
                    That noise could be due arcing if the ccfl wiring is frayed. The wiring is underneath the silicon end caps. Again, pictures of what frayed wiring looks like is in the guide.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

UPDATE:

i just disassemebled an old samsung LCD monitor and it had the same CCFL connections as my hannspree, i connected the samsung to the hannspree power board and it stayed lighted up. while displaying an image on my hannspree LCD screen, and it stayed powered and light up. i think i just need new CCFL's....

Comment

It looks like you work has narrowed the fault down to a bad ccfl or connector. I have just fixed one with exactly the same issue. You need to take the ccfl apart keeping the silicon cap and reconnect the wire onto the end of the ccfl.

Retired caps has given you some links for bad ccfls look at them so you know what your looking for.
                        Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                        Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

hey guys. i have had my Hannspree HF237 for nearly 4 yrs now. and just few days ago i have had this problem. i think its due to sandy and a power outage we had 5 days after. the power dipped and went, came back diped and went again and stayed off.... now the problem with the monitor is this, it would come on and stay on fine. but say i leave my computer on over night and the turn monitor off thing is enabled. i have it set for 45 mins. so in the morning i would see the orange light, move the mouse and the blue light would show for a sec or so and then i would hear a pop in the speaker every second and ever time it would get softer, while the pop is happening the blue light would come on and get dimmer till the sound and light go off. then it would take like 5 mins for the monitor to come on. when it comes on it stays on and works fine. any ideas?

Comment

This is all writtn in the past tense. Are you saying that before the power out the monitor worked fine and came on straight away when you moved the mouse and what you describe is what it does since the power out and now?
                            Sounds like it is deteriorating caps you will need to open it up and take pictures.
                            You may be able to spot faulty caps - bulged or leaking.
                            Try the hairdryer test - have it all set up and gently heat parts of the boards with the dryer to see if it comes on quicker - this can sometimes pinpoint the problem.
                            Welcome to the forum-
                            We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Examples of what is needed
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say what the supposed fault was and a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

yes, if i move the mouse right after windows turns off the monitor there is no problem, if some time passes, then the stated problem occurs. so ill do the pictures.

Comment

ok i took the pictures, i hope they are good enough. just today the power went again and its totally not coming on this time.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you have a lot of bulged capacitors on the power supply board. With the exception of the large 450V cap, you should replace them all with something like Panasonic FR/FM/FC series caps. I counted 9 caps.
                                  Last edited by jetadm123; 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

^^^^^ I second that suggestion ^^^^^^
                                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

9 caps in all or 9 caps that need replacing? and where would i find those caps? any suggestions?

Comment

Here is a clue for the 25v1000uf cap BUT you will need to check the height and diameter of the caps you have and get the same or smaller

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...=20823&stock=1

That is for FR series if they dont have FR in the size look at FM then FC

You can also get caps from Badcaps.Net ( usually deals in motherboard caps so may not have the values you need.
                                        Last edited by selldoor; 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X