Whats your thoughts on Fluke 75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats your thoughts on Fluke 75

Have a chance to pick up Fluke 75 for $20.. I really need a new meter but dont want to spend $100 on one.. Whats your thoughts????

Re: Whats your thoughts on Fluke 75

It's not a bad meter but I don't think it's True RMS. Then again, unless you work on industrial power controls it's probably not that important to you. In the time I have had my BK true RMS DMM, I have used the feature a total of zero times on TV repairs.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by lilmonk3 View Post
      Have a chance to pick up Fluke 75 for $20.
      1) We, the regulars, rarely, ever ask people to do any sort of AC measurement. So for troubleshooting lcd/TV purposes, a true RMS multimeter is not required.

We usually ask for DC voltage and resistance measurements 99% of the time. We also rarely ask for current measurements.

2) I had a Fluke 75. I bought it for $20 and later sold it when I got used successor models. It is a good basic multimeter, but lacks any of the features like autohold, min/max, etc. I have found autohold and min/max to be useful in certain troubleshooting scenarios.

The Fluke 75 does have an analog bar graph which is useful to see fluctuating voltages.

3) For around the $20 to $30 price range, you may want to consider the Fluke 27. It has autohold and min/max. It is big (really big), but rugged as it was designed for military/government use.

See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21650

4) With luck and patience, for $40, you can get a Fluke original 80 or 80 III series. I managed to get a Fluke 83 III and Fluke 85 III for $40 each off ebay.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...56&postcount=8

The Fluke 83s get no love because it is not a True RMS multimeter. This would be my first choice for the < $50 because it is

a) fast (4 sec/display update)
      b) fast autoranging
      c) features like autohold, min/max
      d) solid construction
      e) backlight on the model IIIs

See 3 recent auctions and the sub $50 price tag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUKE-83-MUL...-/330794148855

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-83-Mul...-/300780937440

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-83-Mul...-/130763059316

A brand new Fluke 83V costs over $425 here in Canada.

5) If you do buy the Fluke multimeter, make sure the fuses are working. They are expensive to replace (around $6 to $12 each).
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-22-2012, 11:56 AM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

As a quick test you can check the fuses using the continuity mode; red probe in V/OHM, meter set to continuity, touch probe into AMP jack, check for continuity; then touch in 440mA jack. (One possibility though is the 440mA setting is only engaged by switch, in which case you'd need a separate meter to test.)
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Today what ever you touch is related with inverters.
          And so the True-RMS is a must have.

The first gen 75 is an old school meter.
          My advice, do some savings, and get something better - fresher.

Comment

Not with LCD or plasma TVs, or monitors, or computers, or laptops... You will never need true RMS for them, unless you are doing something such as characterising power consumption with usage/picture content etc. It's a neat feature to have but for 99% of electronics is completely unneeded.

Comment

I snooze I lose.. He sold it and another clamp style for $20..

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                Not with LCD or plasma TVs, or monitors, or computers, or laptops... You will never need true RMS for them
                Your area of interest looks very limited, but the multimeter thankfully are not.

Originally posted by lilmonk3 View Post
                I snooze I lose.. He sold it and another clamp style for $20..
                Your destiny is to get a meter of our times.

Comment

Sure, but I'm just making the point that most users on this forum don't work on industrial power controls . There may be a few where the feature is essential.

Comment

Working...
                  X