Tektronix 422 losing intensity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tektronix 422 losing intensity

My Type 422 Tektronix scope intensity knob needs to be near or at max clockwise to be able to have a trace.

Any suggestions on re-establishing full range intensity?
    Do I need a new CRT?
    Attached Files

Re: Tektronix 422 losing intensity

I can't help you, but there are lots of Tek fans over at the eevblog.com forum. One person there, tekfan, as the name implies knows a lot about Tek scopes.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

try cleaning the pot ,i had a freind had the same issue with an older scope,wouldnt show trace until it was fully clockwise,i cleaned it with contact cleaner and it worked fine after ,wasnt the same make as yours tho.
      fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
      please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Hit it a couple times on the side!** It used to work with the old CRT TVs! lol!

**Do NOT under any circumstances take my advise! If you decide to beat the hell out of your scope I (Peter9Do) take no responsibility for the outcome, which I for see not to be beneficial to the scope or yourself. I will also not take any responsibility for any personal injury you may do to your (but not limited to) hand, arm, head, foot, leg, knee in the process of dropping a dime on that sucka @$$ O-scope! Keep the proceedings as peaceful as possible and if you must go the rout of bitter rage please video it and post it on YouTube (Please share link on BadCaps forum) like the rest of us would! Thank you!

Comment

Here is the service manual for the scope:

Just click the link on the bottom of the page that says "get manual".
          Good luck!

-Peter

Comment

Your posted a link to the Tektronix 422 service manual that is for serial No. 1-19,999, do you have a link for serial No.'s 20,000 and above? The two manuals are not the same. Serial's 20K and above do not use Nuvistors.

Comment

Usually the dimming is mostly irreversible and a new CRT is needed. About how many hours has it been used? (if the answer is "I don't know" assume tens of thousands of hours. Half life of regular CRTs are only around 15K hours!)

With the service manual you should try the CRT calibration to see if it helps a little, make sure all the pots are good, and at least see if the voltages are good. There are some internal adjustments that may help, but once those are at their limits... new CRT time.

There are some rejuvenators out there that may help the CRT for a few hundred hours but ultimately again a new CRT is needed.

One question is whether focus is still good? then perhaps it could be a different problem.

Comment

Working...
              X