Fluke 27 possibly for $10 on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fluke 27 possibly for $10 on ebay

Please, you do not understand radiation. The only damage radiation can do to non-fissile elements is knock electrons or proton+neutron (2 of each) from the atom. This will change its properties of course but unless it is fissile it will not lead to a reaction further than this. And you would have to expose a device to a LOT of radiation to do this.

If it were fissile (for example, made of U-235) you would have much bigger problems!!
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Many T&M used stuff on eBay comes from closed laboratories who was performing all sorts of experiments, some projects were for military use, and others for medical.

It will not harm you, to be also alerted about this scenario.

Also in the ARMY they use the most toxic lubricants and radio-active substances in their ammunition, think twice when you buy stuff coming from old military stock !!
      Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 07-30-2012, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
        Many T&M used stuff on eBay comes from closed laboratories who was performing all sorts of experiments, some projects were for military use, and others for medical.
        Yeah, I doubt a Fluke 27 would be used in a medical environment. It's not safe for that type of use.

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
        It will not harm you, to be also alerted about this scenario.

Also in the ARMY they use the most toxic lubricants and radio-active substances in their ammunition, think twice when you buy stuff coming from old military stock !!
        Again, radiation doesn't contaminate things. These meters are not intended to be used with haz-mat suits, so I can trust that buying one will not pose a hazard to myself. Both of my scopes are ex-MOD; but they were likely research lab scopes, not used in the battlefield!!
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

some sellers on ebay charge a large shipping fee so they make more profit off the sell

Comment

Originally posted by swgaspidey View Post
            some sellers on ebay charge a large shipping fee so they make more profit off the sell
            Actually the $15 to $20 shipping fee is reasonable IMHO. The Fluke 27 weighs 1.6 pounds according to the manual. Some sellers include the case, high voltage probe and that adds to the weight and box size.

When I first got my Fluke 27 I was surprised by the size and weight.

PS. It is also up to the buyer to show discipline and not overpay.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Whenever I deal on ebay, I always add in the shipping and consider the total delivered cost. With patience, these meters can still be found at good prices.

I'm really happy with the 2 Fluke 27/FMs I bought. I got both within a week from the same seller and they did combine shipping so my average per meter was $35 (including shipping). One looks nearly new and the other does have some minor wear markings.

The meter is slow to power on, I'll flip the switch and have just enough time to see the blank display and think "oh, no,it's broken!" and then the meter comes to life. Measurements are fast enough compared to what I'm used to. (Older Craftsman/Extech, Mastech and Fluke 15b). The continuity tester is a real dream compared to my old meters, it's fast and not scratchy sounding.

It's big and heavy, it feels like a brick. Built like a tank, I'm sure. My biggest complaint is the LCD, it's a little hard to see in poor lighting, it doesn't have the contrast of a modern LCD. however, it is fine in good lighting. (It is 20 year old technology after all!).

Thanks to retiredcaps for starting this thread and pointing these out.
              Last edited by Alohamora; 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alohamora View Post
                The continuity tester is a real dream compared to my old meters, it's fast and not scratchy sounding.
                Have you tried the touch hold yet?

The next time you are in an awkard position to measure something, try it. Touch hold will allow you to concentrate on making good probe contact and it will beep when you get a stable reading.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Actually, ebay now charges a fee on BOTH the selling price and shipping fee. This was to discourage sellers from selling items at a super low price with high shipping, since at the time ebay only charged a fee for the selling price and not shipping. With the new policy, there's no incentive to overcharge for shipping. Of course, now the sellers are crying ripoff.

Comment

I'm just adding a few comments on the Fluke 27/FM.

I bought 2 which were sent in a single large black case that they are often supplied in ex-military. Both easilly fitted in the single case & that saved on postage while giving me one case.

NOTE: Only the earlier grey/green colour unit with Fluke 27/FM on the bezel above the LCD has true RMS.

These things are built like bricks & use HRC Cartridge fuses about 1/2 inch in diameter. I put both of my meters across a variac & slowly ramped up the voltage. They agreed within the final digit over the full voltage range on all ranges. The same test on DC gave the same result. This is well beyond specs. One online seller stated that they tested a large number for Calibration & didn't have one fail.

I can tell you that you will NOT see that with Chinese meters.

I was fortunate to get two different military & a civilian manual. The military operators manual is very comprehensive. I would like to get the military calibration manual: TB 9-6625-2190-35 Calibration Procedure For Digital Multimeter AN/PSM-45A

The following is some info I compiled from various sources. Please note the information about the LCD missing one segment. I only have the True RMS version so I don't know if that segment is missing on later versions. The actual Fluke manual doesn't even mention that segment is missing but the military manual does.

Model 27/FM Early Model Display Test

When the function switch is moved from the OFF position to any other position, the instrument performs a power-up self test. All LCD segments in the display are switched on while the test is in progress, then the instrument commences normal operation. This automatic self test verifies that the instrument is functional and that all LCD segments are functioning.

The top left vertical segment on the first digit is missing. (Technically the missing segment is the f segment of the first digit)

Fluke 27FM Multimeter

Military Designation: Multimeter, Digital, 3 1/2 Digit AN/PSM-45A NSN: 6625-01-265-6000

Alternate Part Numbers: ME328USM238, AN/PSM-45A, B61014PB, B61014U, FLUKE-27/FM, 012656000, 260, 27 W/ACCE, 27/FM W/ACCE, 6625012656000, 666R

The Fluke 27/FM is a military only designation of the Fluke 27. The first version in a dark grey case with "Fluke 27/FM" printed on LCD surround was made with a True RMS chip. Later yellow versions, & the most recent yellow & grey dual colour versions of the Fluke 27 sold to the military have a 27/FM sticker on the back but only have "Fluke 27" printed on LCD surround & are NOT True RMS.

Although no yellow True RMS versions were made, online posts state the True RMS PCBs & LCD bezels can be fitted to a yellow case.

The normal model 27 has an 11A fuse for the 10A range & 440mA fuses for the mA/μA ranges while the 27/FM has a 15A fuse to protect the 10A current range & 1A fuse to protect all the other current ranges. The 27/FM fuses are 600 volt cartridge HRC fuses inside the battery case.

The military TB 11-6625-3263-25 Test Equipment Modernization (TEMOD) Program Guide and Replacement Lists states that the AN/PSM-45A (Fluke 27/FM) was introduced due to a shortage of the AN/PSM-45 Simpson Model 467 digital multimeter. The AN/PSM-45A is functionally equivalent to the AN/PSM-45 & did not replace it, but was issued to users who required the AN/PSM-45 when there were stock shortages of the AN/PSM-45.

The military Fluke 27/FM was supplied as a kit consisting entirely of Fluke components in a large black Hard Case: a 27/FM Meter & Operator's Manual, 80K-6 (6000 Volt) High Voltage Probe & Instruction Sheet, & TL-70 Test Leads with slip on Red & Black Alligator Clips. Some later sets with yellow or yellow & grey meters appeared to also have included an 85RF Probe.

Fluke 27/FM Manuals

Original Manuals Held: Fluke P/N 828558 27/FM Multimeter Operator's Manual Aug1987 22pg including diagram inside cover, TM 11-6625-3199-14 15Dec1988 75pg including blanks, TM 11-6625-3199-14 C1 – Changes Sheets 1 15Jun1990 8pg, TM 11-6625-3199-24P-1 15Dec1988 19pg including blanks, TB 11-6625-3263-25 TEMOD (electronic version).

Fluke P/N 828558 27/FM Multimeter Operator's Manual Aug1987

TM 11-6625-3199-14 Operators, Unit, Intermediate Direct Support, and General Support Maintenance Manual for Digital Multimeter AN/PSM-45A (Reprinted W/Basic incl C1 – Changes Sheets 1.)

TM 11-6625-3199-24P-1 Unit, Intermediate Direct Support, and General Support Maintenance Manual Repair Parts and Special Tools Lists for Digital Multimeter AN/PSM-45A
                    http://www.nj7p.info/Common/Manuals/Comp_Manuals.php

TB 11-6625-3263-25 Test Equipment Modernization (TEMOD) Program Guide and Replacement Lists
                    supersedes TB 11-6625-3263-25, Dated April 1995

TB 9-6625-2190-35 Calibration Procedure For Digital Multimeter AN/PSM-45A
                    Department of the Army dated 13 April 2004
                    supersedes TB 9-6625-2190-35, dated 16 April 2001.

Model 27/FM Testing Fuses

1. Turn the function selector switch to the Ohms position.
                    2. Connect a test lead from the volts/ohms/diode-test input terminal to the A input terminal.
                    3. The display should indicate between 0.1 and 0.3 ohms. This tests F2 (15 A, 600 V fast).
                    4. Move one end of the test lead from the A input terminal to the mA/μA input terminal.
                    5. The display should indicate between 4.5 and 6.5 ohms. This tests F1 (1 A, 600 V fast).
                    6. If either of the above display indications is OL (overload), replace the appropriate fuse.

Model 27/FM Replacing Fuses

1. Disconnect test leads from any live source, turn the rotary function selector switch to OFF position, & remove test leads from the input terminals.
                    2. Lift the Instrument Stand on the back of the meter , then remove the four (#6 x 32) screws from the Battery Cover.
                    3. Pull the Battery Cover straight up from the back of the meter. A coin slot on the side of the Battery Cover may be used to assist removal.
                    4. Remove the defective fuse using a screwdriver to pry it sideways.
                    F1, the mA/μA current range fuse (1 A, 600 V fast) is at the bottom of the compartment.
                    5. Replace the defective fuse with a new fuse of identical size & rating.
                    6. Reinsert the Battery Cover in the back of the meter. Restart the four screws removed earlier. Press firmly on the Battery Cover while tightening the screws in a diagonal pattern.

Model 27/FM Fuses

Fluke does not make their fuses, but uses BUSS (Cooper-Bussmann), Limitron and LittleFuse as their primary suppliers. There are eBay sellers that sell these at reasonable cost.

Littelfuse Fast Acting Fuse KTK-15 or KLK-15 15A 600 VAC
                    Buss Fuse BBS-1 1A 1A 600V

Fuse dimensions:
                    KTK-15 / KLK-15: 0.406 Dia. x 1.490" Long (I.R. 100,000A 600V)
                    BBS-1: 0.406" Dia. x 1.370" Long (I.R. 10KA 600V)

Comment

Damn, more competition for me on ebay now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKuvmoW0AZQ
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                      X