Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba A500 -restarts on shutdown command

Hi,

i was going to start this thread seeking help but looks like I've worked it out.

unusual one, give the laptop shutdown command but then as it shuts down it then immediately restarts.

Did a search and not many clues except a suggestion this can be mobo.

Anyway, this is what i found.

On shutdown, restarts, then after startup programs were finished media player popped up.

If it's shutdown on batt, it shuts down. Swapped adaptors and battery, no change.

Forced a reflash of the bios, and it shut down , no restart.

boot it up, go shutdown, and restarts?

Thought it was maybe OS related so swapped out the HDD with another A500 i have and same thing, different OS.

Media player also opened.

Finally narrowed it down, touched the media feature on the touch panel as i shut it down, it shutdown.

These startup automatically if the media button is touched and media player opens.
    So there must be stray capacitance on that panel, i got this as defective but it was 100% ok except i did not notice this issue at first.

removed the top cover and there's nothing really you can do as it's integrated, anyway, cleaned all the contacs and tried to get some alcohol to get in and clean under that pad, probably futile but at this stage it appears I've fixed it but for how long?

last thing i was expecting it to be.

Re: Toshiba A500 -restarts on shutdown command

Good job - always the little things that catch you out on these faults.

I was rebuilding a Compaq something or other a while back with two donor units, built it up on the test bench and all was fine. put it back in the case and it wouldn't start - I had swapped power button PCBs at some point and it shorted out the system to not POST. Tried everything else til I swapped that tiny board!

Comment

Re: Toshiba A500 -restarts on shutdown command

Goodonya Tw2005

Comment

Working...
      X