UCC caps clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UCC caps clarification

I have motherboards with KZE KZG KZJ KZM and then the KY-series.

What are the "bad" ones?

Re: UCC caps clarification

KZE KZG and KZJ are all low esr caps which can be used on the VRM. KZE and KZJ are deemed to be unreliable at higher temperatures but ok in areas which there is less heat. KZE is the best of all three and if I am correct, the lowest ESR capacitor UCC produces. It is reliable as any other low esr capacitor from any other reputable brand. KY according to momaka:
    United Chemicon LXY, LXZ, KY; Panasonic FC; Nichicon PW, PM, HE; Rubycon YXG
    (i.e. these are all for the same applications).

I have never heard of KZM.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
      I have motherboards with KZE KZG KZJ KZM and then the KY-series.

What are the "bad" ones?
      See

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        KZE KZG and KZJ are all low esr caps which can be used on the VRM. KZE and KZJ are deemed to be unreliable at higher temperatures but ok in areas which there is less heat. KZE is the best of all three and if I am correct, the lowest ESR capacitor UCC produces. It is reliable as any other low esr capacitor from any other reputable brand. KY according to momaka:
        (i.e. these are all for the same applications).

I have never heard of KZM.
        Not quite. (Not meant as an attack, just correcting some inaccurate info.)

KZE is low ESR. It is reliable. It is equivalent to Rubycon ZL, Sanyo WX, and Nichicon HD. KZE is suitable for VRM input on most P4/Athlon motherboards, and VRM output on P3 and older boards. Generally OK in most other places on a motherboard.

KZM is slightly lower ESR than KZE. It is equivalent spec-wise to Rubycon ZLH. I've never seen KZM, so I can't comment on reliability.

KZG is lower ESR than the above. It is not reliable anywhere, but especially in high-heat areas. It is equivalent spec wise to Rubycon MBZ, Sanyo WG, and Nichicon HM. Approximately equivalent to Panasonic FJ. This grade cap (KZG itself not recommended) is suitable for P4/Athlon era VRM output, and is almost always OK elsewhere on a motherboard.

KZJ is even lower ESR than all of the above. I have seen enough failures that I wouldn't trust it. It is equivalent spec-wise to Rubycon MCZ and Nichicon HN. I believe this is the lowest ESR electrolytic cap that UCC produces. This grade cap (but not KZJ) is suitable for VRM output on just about all motherboard that don't have polymer caps there.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the correction. So according to what you say, UCC doesn't produce any reliable low esr electrolytic caps... Regarding ZLH vs ZL, I always thought this variant was the lead-free version.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

KZE is quite reliable and low ESR. Just not *that* low.

ZL is RoHS compliant as per the datasheet; I don't know if it always has been or if they changed it at some point.

I'm seeing more and more (and more) KZG recently on new boards, as Rubycon is supposedly stopping production of MBZ. I suppose with this resurgence of KZG we'll soon figure out if UCC ever fixed whatever problem caused them to fail prematurely.

Comment

Working...
            X