Attaching SMA connectors to RG178 cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching SMA connectors to RG178 cable

Anybody have some pointers for attaching SMA crimp connectors to a piece of RG178 coax? I have built SMA on RG58 cables a couple of times, and it was not particularly difficult. However, when I test stripped one end of the RG178 I found the thing was so tiny that I had to borrow a stereo dissecting microscope in order to see what I was doing Admittedly my eyes are not what they once were, but it was a lost cause even with my "near" reading glasses, which were good enough for the RG58 cables.

Is it just me, or do most people have to use magnification when working with this type of micro-coax?

Re: Attaching SMA connectors to RG178 cable

I had to buy one of those round magnifiers with the circular fluorescent bulb and the articulating arm to work on anything. I even use it for reading if the print is small enough.
    sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Re: Attaching SMA connectors to RG178 cable

Originally posted by mathog View Post
      However, when I test stripped one end of the RG178 I found the thing was so tiny that I had to borrow a stereo dissecting microscope in order to see what I was doing.
      Built that cable today -what a PITA. Besides everything being so small I needed the microscope to see them, some parts were super light. The center pin weighed about as much as an eyelash and holding it in place to put solder on the tiny hole was damn near impossible. The surface tension on the little ball of solder was enough to pull the pin off the center conductor. Then once a tiny amount of solder had stuck to the pin gravity took over and the pin kept rotating on the central conductor until the solder coated part faced down. Finally got it under control by gently "clamping" the pin between a nickel and a dime. Rotating the dime (on top) rotated the pin so that the hole was up, and there was just enough pressure to hold it but not scratch it, and just enough friction for it not to move when it was soldered.

I hope this cable lasts, because I don't want to have to do that again any time soon!

Comment

Working...
      X