need some one to look at these esr readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some one to look at these esr readings

hi i have a mobo that turns on for about 6 seconds then goes of then back on so i got my self a peak esr meter i took some readings just want some one to check these for me and see what you think these readings were all took out of the circuit some of the capacitance looks high
    1.3300uf-6.3v-- esr reading 3268uf 0.02
    2.3300uf-6.3v--3212uf 0.02
    3.3300uf-6.3v--3330uf 0.02
    4.3300uf-6.3v--3308uf 0.01
    5.3300uf-6.3v--3470uf 0.29
    6.3300uf-6.3v--no reading-- esr 1.15
    7.2200uf-16v--1929uf- 0.03
    8.2200uf-16v--1956uf-0.03
    9.2200uf-16v--1968uf-0.02
    10.1000uf-10v--987-0.04
    11.1000uf-10v--956-0.02

i have also to capacitors there that give me 0.00 esr just wondering is this cap gone

Re: need some one to look at these esr readings

#6 is Really BAD! #5 is also no good. . Replace those and see what happens. If that doesnt correct the shutdown, open up your power supply and look for bulged caps. Is #6 bulging?

So you are doing the capacitance testing with the cap in-circuit? Generally, you need the cap disconnected to do a proper capacitance check. That said, capacitance values look fine to me.
    Last edited by bigbeark; 04-29-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

hi no all readings are out of the circuit there is still a few more i have to test i have replace them to bad ones but still shorts chances are there is a mosfet in line that is gone also if i get 0,00 esr on a 3300uf 6.3v is that good or bad

and sorry yes them too were slightly bulged

Comment

Yup #5 and #6 are bad.

Caps that show 0.00 ESR need to be checked with a regular ohm meter.
        They should have a high reading on an ohm meter.
        Note, the reading might change at first as they charge up from the ohm meter's battery.
        Most often they read at or near infinity after they charge up.
        -
        If they show zero or low with the ohm meter then they are shorted or partially shorted and need replaced.
        -
        If they read high on an ohm meter but zero on the ESR meter then they are good caps but ESR is too low for the ESR meter.
        -
        Bad caps will show up first with an ESR meter but you still need to confirm with an ohm meter because in rare cases a cap can seem fine with the ESR meter but shows up as shorted with an ohm meter.

Yes, they like to advertise ESR meters as able to check caps in circuit but that only works if no other capacitive part [including some IC chips and other caps] is in parallel with it.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

tomor i will check all the other caps in this board and yes i see that you must take it out of the board cause i notice when in circuit they give o esr my only worry now is that there is a mosfet gone in lines with these bad caps cause there is 6 in that area what would you fail rate start at on the esr readings

Comment

Working...
          X